I've been offered a space in a salon - what do I need to know?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pure

Reaction score
The small family owned salon where I get my hair cut has been great since they found out that I qualified in nails and beauty, displaying my brochures etc.

Well, they called me today because they had 2 clients in who wanted to have their nails done at the same time as they had their hair done too. I've taken the bookings.

While I just popped in there the owner asked me if I would be interested in setting up a permanent table in the salon on Fridays, and I said yes of course I'd be interested!!:) So where going to get together on Saturday to 'work something out'.

Now I know that it is normal for them to ask for a % of takings or rent, but I have no idea what would be a good offer or not.

If anyone can give me any advice about all possible aspects of this deal I'd be really grateful because it is totally new territory for me.

Hello there Pure:)

I am afraid that I cannot give you any advice on the situation as I am a mobile therapist. Sorry!:confused:
However I just wanted to congratulate you on this!:):) That is a fantastic opportunity and I really wish you the very best of luck.
xxx:hug:xxxx

I always think that you need to look at things from both sides. It has to be worth their while too. How about starting off by giving them 20% or at a push 25%. That would be with you supplying all your products and them suuplying you with a nice place to work and to promote you to their clients.

Good luck. xx

A % is the better route than a flat rate I think.
Once they give you their offer, go home sit down and do the math. Figure out on the basis of doing two clients a day, subtract the supplies cost (estimation), and then the rent.

oh wow congrats

i wish you all the best

Hi,

I am not sure how it would work for nails (JO??? YOU know *lol*) but in the salon I have a self employed stylist. I provide all products and we go 50/50 on her takings. If she does a colour/perm we go 60/50 in my favour to cover the product costs. If its ext. she pays for the hair etc and then we go 50/50 on the profit. Now I am presuming you will be providing your own products, so maybe you need to work out the cost of a set of nails in products and then maybe work out a percentage each from the profit?? :)

Whatever you do please make sure you set an independent contractors contract up between you both to protect your interests, business and satisfy the tax man!

I have my own table in a hair salon, it works very well for me. I pay 30% of my takings, I supply all my own products, however the owner supplied the desk and all teas, coffee etc. I also get my hair done, cut colour anytime I want (or they usually tell me) its time!! I do the owners nails and toes in return. The other hairstylists insist on paying me cost price to do theirs.

My first Saturday in the salon I did complimentary paint and polish and that was a huge successs as I got lots of bookings, who are now my regular clients. The clients range from all ages, I even have a client who is 81 who has calgel nno on nails and toes, and all her friends are following.

Its worked very well for me, I was hesitant at first but I love it. We are a small friendly team and I could not wish for a better boss or salon to work in.

Very best wishes to you and hope it goes well. :hug:

I think you need to decide if you would prefer a flat rent or percentage first.

I didn't like working on a percentage at all but then I was on a 60/40 split also I lacked the drive to get things moving, obviously we are all different but I think I wasn't as motivated as I am now I pay a flat rent, probably because I know I still have to pay the rent regardless of how many clients I have whereas a % you could have no clients and not have to pay any money.

For rent I would probably offer £20 per day and ask for £15 to start with as there isn't an established base, also who is going to providing the nail station ?

Thankyou everyone for your replies.:hug:

All equipment and tables, towels etc will be mine, partly because I have already had the expense of buying them all but that would be one thing I would most certainly not be willing to hand over control to anyone else for!

If I were paying her rent or a % that wouldn't make her my 'boss' would it?

No that would not make her your "boss" per se but, keep in mind that it is her salon, her business name on the door and her neck on the line, so she is going to have some say with the going ons in the salon.

Do you guys over in the UK have Boothrental Agreements ( Lease Agreements) between landlord and renter?
Over here in the USA it is required to have one. In the lease ( and read it carefully) it would state all the rules etc. If there is anything in the lease, that you don't understand, you should ask the owner to explain before you sign it. :)

congrats Pure..how exciting for you!

No that would not make her your "boss" per se but, keep in mind that it is her salon, her business name on the door and her neck on the line, so she is going to have some say with the going ons in the salon.

Do you guys over in the UK have Boothrental Agreements ( Lease Agreements) between landlord and renter?
Over here in the USA it is required to have one. In the lease ( and read it carefully) it would state all the rules etc. If there is anything in the lease, that you don't understand, you should ask the owner to explain before you sign it. :)

congrats Pure..how exciting for you!

No we dont, I only wish! There are, in the UK, barely any regs in the beauty/hair industry regarding qualifications let alone anything else.:irked:

You can get drawn up, by a solicitor, an independent contractors agreement, but again very hard and costly to inforce.
The NHF will supply one at £20, Im not sure if there is a beauty equivilant at the guild???

I do a 50/50 split with my girls. I do all the advertising and promotions, buy products etc. They just pay their tax and NI out of their money. Find out if the salon will be advertising for you. You need EVERYONE to know you're there, not just the hair clients.
Good luck X:)

Latest posts

Back