I've been spying on the enemy!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maceyratbags

Reaction score
Hi everyone, haven’t been around for months as I’ve been busy with my two jobs and I went backpacking around Vietnam & Cambodia for a month (didn’t even pack a nail file in my backpack!). :o

Anyway, I did a very naughty and sneaky thing at the weekend. I booked myself into a salon in town for a set of gel sculpts! :twisted: Although I have quite a few satisfied clients now, I take on average 2½ hrs to 3 hrs to do a full set of sculpts.

Ok, I know, I gave some of my earnings to a competitor, but I wanted to see how they manage to do it in 1½hrs, and if I could pick up some tips on where I was going wrong. I booked myself in under my maiden name (my flyers are all around town and I have an unusual surname!), and had to remain mouth firmly shut the whole time (which is a near impossible job for me!!! :D ). The girl who done them claimed to have studied for 2 years on Bio Gel, and had been doing nail enhancements for 4 years.

She used exactly the same gel and equipment that I use, however her files were disgusting. They had clearly been used MANY times before. And they got me to sign a hand written (and poorly written at that!) disclaimer before they got to work.

OK, she was quick, and it was worth paying as I picked up a few little tips to help my timing, but the final result was dreadful. Even my husband (who wouldn’t usually notice if I had a finger missing let alone the condition of my nails) commented on how ‘false’ they look. They are extremely thick, and I have a sensation of having something stuck underneath – kind of like when you’ve been gardening and have soil underneath?! The tops are really uneven – not a curve in sight, and they have been filed crooked.

I have come to the conclusion that it is far better to spend 3 hours than take half the time and end up with this sort of result.

Sawasdee kha

I like your photo when you marry too much very beautifull .

I think maybe you can do same me when i have done like this before just soak off and not think about money you lose and make you not happy .

Lucky you not have bad hair cut and have to wait long time kha .

if anything good come from what happen you now you learn many many people do nail no good .

Kop khun ka mui

I am not exactly quick when it comes to nails, but I have never had anyone complain except my mother who wanted to stop for a cigarette!!

I know that the nails I do are good. The clients just love them. They do not lift because I prep really well even if it does take ages. I even put on my literature that I do not rush and people seem to go for it. I charge more than most others in the area and I am not short of new or repeat business.

Eventually I'm sure that it will all speed up - but definitely not at the cost of quality and gentleness of service. The lady who did my initial training said that it was important not to go too fast or people think you charge too much!

The article on this site about speeding up service has helped, as has having a good cuticle remover.

You will be just fine - keep looking confident and keep the standards high. I would much rather have a slow good set than a fast one that falls off after 3 days!

maceyratbags wrote:
OK, she was quick, and it was worth paying as I picked up a few little tips to help my timing, but the final result was dreadful. Even my husband (who wouldn’t usually notice if I had a finger missing let alone the condition of my nails) commented on how ‘false’ they look. They are extremely thick, and I have a sensation of having something stuck underneath – kind of like when you’ve been gardening and have soil underneath?! The tops are really uneven – not a curve in sight, and they have been filed crooked.
So it just goes to show, speed is not everything.........
You will get faster in time, but will she get better?????
If she is a speedy Techie and a good Techie great, but speedy and sloppy well thats not good is it.....................
So babe, keep doing what you are doing and find your own tips and tricks........

love Ruth xxxxx

I agree. Speedy and sloppy is not a good combination, and it's doubtful that other tech will change her sloppy ways.
When I first started, it took me well over a year to get down to an hour and a half doing a full set of sculptured nails. I was quite disheartened, as the other techs in my mother-in-law's salon were getting people out in an hour. I realised I couldn't and shouldn't compromise the quality of the nails I did just for the sake of that extra time, because that meant I would have to cut corners. Experience takes time and patience and you will learn many things along the way that will help you. Believe it or not, you will get your times down eventually.

It has taken me years to get my fills down to an hour......like the others said and you already know, its the quality that really counts.

I did a post a long time ago entitled 'set time or performance' which may halp some of you to see problem areas which are slowing you down.

Search under set time.

I have always recommended that nail techs in the USA go visit the 'quickie' shops (( we dont call them quickie shops over here but I use the term because I see you UK techs using it ))
and experience what is going on with
( and THIS is what I like to call them just like the Wal-Mart empire )
the HIGH VOLUME / LOW PRICED nail businesses.

I too ( in the 1960s ) went backpacking around Vietnam & Cambodia but we called our backbacks 'rucks' and we called the hiking 'humping'.

Now let me mention that while I think that checking out the quickie techs is great and wonderful and educational --- that time does not stand still. We do not live in a static never changing world in which the status quo remains the same.
Listen, Huoug here began 10 years ago just like that quickie tech that you visited. Huong had no license, her sanitation was poop, her nails were gross ((( do you know the American slang for the Thick Acrylics ? - we call them CHICKLETS did ya know ))) she even owned and operated a 100% Poor Work, NSS, CHOP SHOP - Horrors.
And then ( music plz ), Huong evoluted into OLLIE. ( Quick mention for the curious, yes Huong is Vietnamese ). ( whoops, Ollie is too ) OLLIE, licensed professional nail tech in 2 of the United States --- booth renter in 100% American operated Beauty Salons. OLLIE the Wonder Tech, making da money/income for the mortgage, the cars, the utilities , the living expenses ( Quick mention that I am disabled ).
POINT IS
that yes it is good to check out the 'enemy' and it really encourges you at this time to see the comparision between your low volume/high price techniques and the high volume/low price techniques -- BUT dont make the mistake so many in this country made in thinking that things wont change, that business doesn't change, that these newcomers to the industry dont learn and improve and better their methods.
===================================
Wal-Mart ( or fill in the blank with gaint business of your choice ) was nothing in the beginning but a dinky little small town know nothing going nowhere junkie deadend single store ). What happened ? ,,, nothing remains the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back