I've got loads of questions, please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collins

Reaction score
Hi fellow geeks

Sorry but could you help me with these. Sorry I've been saving them up.

1. Soaking Off. I currently am using a metal soaking off bowl ( not very attractive). How are people soaking off? I'm torn between the finger pods, which I can then heat by using heated mitts, or the electric soaking machine, which costs lots of money?

2. Manicures. I did a VTCT at College and I think I was taught the old fashioned way i.e leather buffer, cuticle cream and soaking etc. How do you guys do it? I've changed mine a bit and also offer parrafin wax and will soon offer heated mitts. What other choices are there? What is the difference to what I do and a spa manicure?

3. Towels. In last months Nails magazine they did an artical on a salon in Brighton and they had lovely bright pink towels. I've looked at all the wholesale websiteS ( I think ) but have had no luck.

Any ideas

collins said:
Hi fellow geeks

1. Soaking Off. I currently am using a metal soaking off bowl ( not very attractive). How are people soaking off? I'm torn between the finger pods, which I can then heat by using heated mitts, or the electric soaking machine, which costs lots of money?

2. Manicures. I did a VTCT at College and I think I was taught the old fashioned way i.e leather buffer, cuticle cream and soaking etc. How do you guys do it? I've changed mine a bit and also offer parrafin wax and will soon offer heated mitts. What other choices are there? What is the difference to what I do and a spa manicure?

3. Towels. In last months Nails magazine they did an artical on a salon in Brighton and they had lovely bright pink towels. I've looked at all the wholesale websiteS ( I think ) but have had no luck.

Any ideas
1. Fiona does a quicksoak bowl for about £15 I think, its a fast and effective way to remove enhancements.
2. nothing wrong with the way you were taught to buff, but you can also do it with a 3 way buffer if you don`t like that. I use a good quality cuticle oil and 1200 grit buffer
3. Most wholesalers sell the towels so you should look around. Or better still, I know they sell them in white, why not dye them yourself.

Hi,
Re soaking - i use 2 glass bowls that stack on top of each other, i got mine from tescos, cheap as chips. put a little boiling water in the bottom one and your acetone in the top, the client cant burn herself as the water is sealed in by the top bowl. works perfectly and looks fine.
kate x

collins said:
Hi fellow geeks

Any ideas

Just to let you know that I use a very pinky red colour towel, I got them in bulk at roseby's. Be warned though that even four months down the line, and a hell of a lot of washing, the pinky fluff sheds all over manicure clients arms. I no longer use them for that purpose. Just wanted to let you know, if I had chosen colours again I would stick to neutral colours.

Best wishes

thenaillounge said:
Just to let you know that I use a very pinky red colour towel, I got them in bulk at roseby's. Be warned though that even four months down the line, and a hell of a lot of washing, the pinky fluff sheds all over manicure clients arms. I no longer use them for that purpose. Just wanted to let you know, if I had chosen colours again I would stick to neutral colours.

Best wishes
Before using towel wash them at 60 degrees and then add vinegar to the last rinse......... this stops the fluffing effect......................
just a thought.............

Crikey Ruth is there anything you don't know??? :lol:

think i have seen bright pink towels in peacocks. not sure how widespread the stores are. ;)

collins said:
Hi fellow geeks

Any ideas

when i soak off i use cotton wool soaked in acetone then apply it to the nail (once it is filed down thin) and wrap it in foil (i use highlighting foil cos its a nice size:)) leave it for abt 20mins to half hour then the acrylic comes off a treat
when doing a basic manicure at college we were taught to use a leather buffer with buffing paste too, when doing just a basic manicure i do excactly the same but i changed the buffer to a pro shiner from ezflow and i use spa elements lemon tea tree soak in the manicure bowl
when doing a spa manicure i would say it is a more deluxe manicure which includes more massage and exfolication for the skin and hands and you can also incorporate a para wax dip in it too for added moisturisation and relaxation:)

Jess
xox

Please don't anyone use boiling water from a kettle for a soak off!!!

A: the client could tip the bowl into her lap and scald herself
B: the acetone in the soak off bowl should not be hot, just warm
C: the evaporation of the acetone is multiplied
D: solvent vapours in the air is dangerous (could cause a fire and be inhaled)
E: can become too hot for clients fingers
F: does not speed up process enough towarrent the hazards
G: acetone disappears before nails
H: I doubt any insurance would cover any accidents under these circumstances!!

Debs said:
1. Fiona does a quicksoak bowl for about £15 I think, its a fast and effective way to remove enhancements.

Thanks Debs for the plug LOL. They are £13.99 including all p+p and come with full instructions which includes the information Marian has given - ie. only hand hot water to be used and not boiling.

If anyone is interested then please check out my website under "Removal".

naturalnails said:
Thanks Debs for the plug LOL. They are £13.99 including all p+p and come with full instructions which includes the information Marian has given - ie. only hand hot water to be used and not boiling.

If anyone is interested then please check out my website under "Removal".
No worries Fiona......You just better not discontinue them before I need one, after all, an electric one has got to give up the ghost one day, lol

Latest posts

Back