I've had a freak allergic reaction to henna brow tint. Any ideas?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca697

Reaction score
So I've been tinting my brows for around the last 5 years every 2 weeks with black brow tints. Around 18 months ago I was feeling lazy and went to a salon for a brow wax and tint, the lady left it on for around half hour even though I kept asking her to remove it but she had walked away with another client. The next day my brow hair started to fall out and my skin was very burnt. I called the salon but she explained she had no ideas on what might help soothe my skin. I am now allergic to hair dye also as I had blonde hair at the time but I am naturally brunette so I had my hair immediately taken back dark which burnt and blistered my scalp. I waited 6 months then patch tested some tint on my arm - no reaction. 48 hours after patch test I tinted my brows only to wake up the next day with yet again no skin on my brows and blisters on my arm where the patch test had been days before. I was then scared to use any type of tinting products on my skin and drawn my eyebrows on daily. Around 3 months ago I went to a salon for my lashes done which I am not allergic to lash glues. The therapist told me about a henna tint she has been using on people that react badly to tint. We gave it ago and I was fine, I've been using it since. On Friday I went for a lash infill and a brow wax and tint (henna tint) then woke up Saturday morning with again no skin on my brows and missing brow hair but this time my eyes had swelled shut and even my cheeks had swelled. It had still not calmed down by Sunday so I decided it was time to take a trip to the A&E where I was given more antihistamines and prednisolone (steroid tablets to reduce swelling). I don't dare apply lash remover to take off the lashes that haven't fell out so I have removed them by soaking them in vasiline. It's now Monday and my face is still very swelled and my brows are very scabby and burnt. If anyone has any ideas on how to soothe and heal my brows please get back to me. Or even if you just know what may have caused this as I am baffled.
Thanks for reading :)

Some brands of Henna contain metallic compounds that can cause severe irritation.
Hairdressers are taught in basic training to always be cautious and to do a test for metallic salts if a client has been using any henna based products.

Once you become sensitive to particular hair and beauty products, some dermatologists suggest that you’re much more likely to develop further allergies to some products so you need to ALWAYS ensure your therapist/hairdresser carries out the necessary skin tests and leave 48 hours before assessing any reaction.

You don’t want to end up in intensive care or worse!

Yea I have had a reaction to a few other things since my first tint reaction but they was very different products like cleaning products (Lemon bleach wipes) but this one was by far the worst.
IMG_0977.JPG
IMG_0983.JPG

Start using gloves when doing any cleaning and consider reviewing your skin care regime to remove any obvious potential irritants. Linalool is a common component of cleaning products as it’s a naturally derived detergent cleanser but can cause irritation in people with sensitised skin.

Pure henna can only dye your hair red. It must either be mixed with indigo, or henna used first, then indigo after the henna has laid down its dye and been rinsed and washed out.

"Black henna" has PPD added to it which can cause severe allergic reactions, it has to me in hair dye. My face blew up like a balloon, my eyes were slits. Here is a description of black henna:

"Black henna", sometimes referred to as "kali mehndi" or "piko" is henna that that has been adulterated with the transdermal toxin, p-paraphenylenediamine (PPD for short) mainly used as a hair dye. In some cases this so-called henna doesn't even contain any henna at all. PPD is associated with bladder and blood cancers, liver failure, and fetal harm. It is currently illegal for use on skin in the USA and some other countries. "

Hope this helps some of you. The Mehandi site gives all kinds of instructions for the use of henna and indigo and a few other pure dyes. If you call them up, they will help with anything and are extremely knowledgeable. There is also a forum that is wonderful and has great moderators to help answer questions other forum members cannot.
Mishkyn

Latest posts

Back