Jane Iredale vs Art Deco-opinions, please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My point was that the availability on the high street of Artdeco products means less salon exclusivity. Nothing to do with the fashions on the high street. For a small business, 500 plus products is a massive turn off. So a client comes in, and I don't stock the whole range, but the department store up the road does. Customer lost!

The OP has asked for views on the different ranges, so I am giving my view. I invested a lot of money to take on Jane Iredale, so really did my homework and am speaking as someone who has been working with and retailing the products for many years. With the greatest respect, your view may be slightly biased in favour of Artdeco if you work for the company!

Vicki x

Jane Iredale is an excellent product by the way, with a great heritage and lovely products. You made a good choice!!!

Last edited:
I'm off to the beauty show tomorrow with the specific task of looking at a make-up range to take on. I have tested both ranges and liked them. I also want to use the range for make-up services ie, bridal. Any comments or recommendations?

I have used ji in my salon for many years now and wouldn't ever consider a different range. It is easy to apply, makes the skin look amazing, is virtually water proof so perfect for brides. I also have a lot of clients with skin problems and can recommend Jane Iredale with confidence. There are a lot of well known so called mineral ranges that contain a product called bismuth that can aggravate the skin.
Happy shopping.

Vicki x

I've never used JI, but am using Artdeco years...about 20 .

I'm not big into make up myself but I retail a lot of this make up .

Dita Von Teese did a collaboration with Artdeco recently and a new foundation range was created . Her look is the flawless pale skin, like myself ( I was once told by a black guy on a subway in NewYork .."man you're white, I ain't never seen anyone as white as you before" anyways I digress. Her new foundations are fabulous on your typical Irish skin.

I'm happy with it , easy to apply, easy to retail,good offers, great selection..keeps current . Bi annual looks ....

never tried JI makeup but have tried ArtDeco and love it, i use some items in my makeup kit and also have a girl on my fb who is a professional MUA and swears by ArtDeco.

I personally love Art Deco - products amazing, customer care .

Would you stop using because of it's high street presence?

Do high end spas not stock the likes of Elemis /Decleor just because they can be found on QVC at cheaper prices ?

NO - they still stock and advocate using these prestige brands and do extremely well out of it !

I agree that for me it would be important to use a salon professional only brand in order to have a better hold on my local market and better sales volume. I would not want to compete with the likes of Debenhams.

I also love the JI range and the fact it is cruelty free.

Sadly Art Deco retail in china http://www.artdecochina.com/ so that would make them a no go for me as cruelty free products are essential in my choices.

I guess it also depends on if you are looking to just use it for make-up work or if you are looking to focus on retail. If you really only want it for application then try them both and see what works easier for you. If you want the better chance of higher retail sales with less high st competition then I would vote Jane Iredale :)

Just because a company retails in China - Does Not mean that it tests on animals - see www.artdeco.com and see Company then got to FAQ

Just because a company retails in China - Does Not mean that it tests on animals - see www.artdeco.com and see Company then got to FAQ

Actually... LEGALLY ALL COSMETICS retailed in China need to be tested on animals or have their ingredients tested. So while art deco may not pay for the testing - it still happens because they retail their products there. This is the very reason Lush will not retail in China as they refuse to sell out on their principles for the sake of making more money.

Do not fall for bumph as I like to call it on company websites that say that "we do not test our products on animals" as this is ambiguous enough to leave it open enough that the products or ingredients have been tested for them or prior to purchase of the raw materials.

As a fan of FAQs please feel free to look under the link on the BUAV site on why BUAV approved companies can not sell in China here Animal Testing FAQs | Go Cruelty Free

It states:
"
Chinese law requires all finished cosmetic (including personal care) products sold into China to be tested on animals first. Thus it is clear that companies which export personal care products to sell on the Chinese market are unable to operate without testing on animals (even though it may be done through agents without their knowledge). We have, therefore, made it an explicit condition of certification that members do not export ‘cosmetic' products to sell on the Chinese market, unless they can show that they have been given exemption to not test on animals. Unfortunately some companies, including Caudalie, L’Occitane, Mary Kay and Yves Rocher have been unable to do this and, as a result, have had their certification suspended.

This animal testing requirement does not extend to household products, nor to products sold in Hong Kong or via international websites. It also does not apply to products manufactured in China, but then exported out to be sold elsewhere. Certified companies can therefore manufacture cosmetic products within China as long as they don’t sell the products there.

In June 2014 new Chinese Cosmetics Regulations are likely to come into force, which may exempt domestically manufactured ‘ordinary use’ products such as shampoo, soap and lipsticks from the pre-market animal tests. ‘Special use’ products such as skin whiteners, hair dyes and sunscreen will not be exempt."

So in short - yes, if Art Deco retail in China.... they are involved in the animal testing industry. There is another thread somewhere where one of their reps tried to tell me they didn't and somebody kindly pointed out that they retailed in China (Which I wasn't aware of). Learn something new every day eh?

Actually... LEGALLY ALL COSMETICS retailed in China need to be tested on animals or have their ingredients tested. So while art deco may not pay for the testing - it still happens because they retail their products there. This is the very reason Lush will not retail in China as they refuse to sell out on their principles for the sake of making more money.

Do not fall for bumph as I like to call it on company websites that say that "we do not test our products on animals" as this is ambiguous enough to leave it open enough that the products or ingredients have been tested for them or prior to purchase of the raw materials.

As a fan of FAQs please feel free to look under the link on the BUAV site on why BUAV approved companies can not sell in China here Animal Testing FAQs | Go Cruelty Free

It states:
"
Chinese law requires all finished cosmetic (including personal care) products sold into China to be tested on animals first. Thus it is clear that companies which export personal care products to sell on the Chinese market are unable to operate without testing on animals (even though it may be done through agents without their knowledge). We have, therefore, made it an explicit condition of certification that members do not export ‘cosmetic' products to sell on the Chinese market, unless they can show that they have been given exemption to not test on animals. Unfortunately some companies, including Caudalie, L’Occitane, Mary Kay and Yves Rocher have been unable to do this and, as a result, have had their certification suspended.

This animal testing requirement does not extend to household products, nor to products sold in Hong Kong or via international websites. It also does not apply to products manufactured in China, but then exported out to be sold elsewhere. Certified companies can therefore manufacture cosmetic products within China as long as they don’t sell the products there.

In June 2014 new Chinese Cosmetics Regulations are likely to come into force, which may exempt domestically manufactured ‘ordinary use’ products such as shampoo, soap and lipsticks from the pre-market animal tests. ‘Special use’ products such as skin whiteners, hair dyes and sunscreen will not be exempt."

So in short - yes, if Art Deco retail in China.... they are involved in the animal testing industry. There is another thread somewhere where one of their reps tried to tell me they didn't and somebody kindly pointed out that they retailed in China (Which I wasn't aware of). Learn something new every day eh?

minus.gif
Is there animal testing at ARTDECO?

Last edited:
You have just posted the same thing the OP linked to. I also do not appreciate PM's accusing me of slander.

Unless Art Deco do not retail in China (and by some turn of fate the Chinese website is a fake that you will need to deal with legally) then the government in China will and do test Cosmetics on animals.

I will state again, this is why many companies will not retail in China and why nobody who does will ever attain a "leaping bunny".

I will not be drawn into bickering with your company on this matter again, people can read the BUAV statement on Chinese legeslation and decide for themselves if buying cruelty free products is of importance to them.

Last edited:
You have just posted the same thing the OP linked to. I also do not appreciate PM's accusing me of slander.

Unless Art Deco do not retail in China (and by some turn of fate the Chinese website is a fake that you will need to deal with legally) then the government in China will and do test Cosmetics on animals.

I will state again, this is why many companies will not retail in China and why nobody who does will ever attain a "leaping bunny".

I will not be drawn into bickering with your company on this matter again, people can read the BUAV statement on Chinese legeslation and decide for themselves if buying cruelty free products is of importance to them.

Last edited:
Congratulations to Art Deco, the first company in the world to retail in China and bypass their laws.

You should inform Loreal how you did this so they can reopen their body shop stores and perhaps lush too as they have been fighting to change the regulations in China to enable them to retail there while maintaining a cruelty free stance.

The BUAV will also be most interested.

You can keep repeating that YOU dont test on animals but it doesn't change the fact that the Chinese Government is testing your product. You havent answered that, just keep repeating that you dont.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

What doesn't come out of China these days! If I'm not mistaken isn't there a bit of controversy with this issue. .. Art deco may not test their products on animals knowingly, but the ingredients that are purchased to make a product have somewhere down the line been tested on animals. There was a thread relating to animal testing in China over nail polish, not so long ago.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Back to the original topic and question. I've used both JI & Art Deco, and I'm the same I can't decide which to stock in my salon! JI has a huge opening order but they have an offer on at the moment inc training, stand & free retail products and also do the make up artist events in your salon, I really liked the JI foundations & range, it felt beautiful on the skin. But I also like Art Deco minerals, the foundations are very nice especially the liquid mineral, it gives amazing coverage & radiance, they have several options of stands available, and I actually like the fact it's available in department stores & used on celebs! The plus is JI is salon exclusive and not available to purchase directly from them to the consumer.
And yes I'm still unsure! X

So I am possibly a little late to this thread but have you considered doing the training in both artdeco and ji? This is where you will really find what works best for your salon and clients.
As I work for iiaa I can tell you the ji training is four 1day courses which you can attend as you see fit eg all four together/ 2 in one month/1 a month. It's not necessary to do all four days however we find salons do love it so attend all four.

Not to weigh in on animal testing but I can say ji does have Leaping Bunny status and is also listed as approved by PETA in case this is important to you.

Opening orders wise it does vary depending on what you are looking for (eg display) This is where our business rep would be best places to help you. Also we have no monthly minimum order (although I'm not aware if this is the same as Artdeco so may not be a point of difference)

I would also like to say we have a bit of a celeb following if that's what interests your clients and I have personally used ji for TV and high end fashion. In addition ji is used in spas through to medical clinics as it is so gentle on the skin but with exceptional coverage.

Feel free to pm me if you want any more info.

Good luck with your decision

Xx Aileen
Trainer for Scotland
Iiaa

Latest posts

Back