Job Dilemma again - Help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremities

Reaction score
Hi all, don't know if you will remember, but I was working as a temp sec for the NSH Child & Adolescent Mental Health for around 3 months. They wanted me to go full time, but I didn't as I am trying to build up my nail business.

Anyway, in the meantime I have been working temporary two days a week as an estate agents secretary, which gives me time to do nails as well.

I went for an interview the other day as an Administrator/Secretary for the NHS, ( 18 hours a week) basically administration work for the trainee doctors etc. I was not really bothered about the interview and was told that they would let me know in a few days. To my surprise, got a phone call the same day offering me the post.

My dilemma.

I am 47 years old and my nail business is not bringing in enough money, relocated a year ago and I do have some regular clients. so was looking for something to supplement my income.

I enjoy working at Estate Agents, although can be hectic and they have also offered me a permanent position two days a week and also holiday cover for the other secretaries. The Estate Agents is better paid and is only Thursday and Friday. The NHS is less pay and working 18 hours over 3 days. so would give me less time for nails.

I am finding it real hard to make a decision.

Any help appreciated, although obviously I will come to my own decision.

My dilemma.

I am 47 years old and my nail business is not bringing in enough money, relocated a year ago and I do have some regular clients. so was looking for something to supplement my income.

I enjoy working at Estate Agents, although can be hectic and they have also offered me a permanent position two days a week and also holiday cover for the other secretaries. The Estate Agents is better paid and is only Thursday and Friday. The NHS is less pay and working 18 hours over 3 days. so would give me less time for nails.

Sounds to me that you already know what you want to do Sam.
:rolleyes::green:

i fyou really want to do nail,s the less hour,s a week you do would be better,only because you can fit more client,s in.....i think if i was in this situation,i would go for the job which i enjoyed more.....i know the nhs is 1 day more....but then you still have your evening,s....hope all the best in which ever you do hun xxx

You enjoy the estate agents and it allows you more time to build your nail business so it seems sensible to stay.

However, to supplement your income, how about asking if you can get a bit more involved with the sales side of things, I used to work in agency and even though I was very much on the secretarial side, we came to an arrangement whereby I kept my own applicant box and if I made the introductory appointment and the applicant went on to buy that property, I received some commission (or a one off figure), even though once the sale was in place, a negotiator took over the chasing of it and obviously they took the lion's share of the commission, but it did bring in a bit more money. Just a thought. It certainly taught me to be very persuasive when trying to make appointments!:lol:

Good luck whatever you decide :)

its a no-brainer, keep the estate agents job and work at developing your nail biz.

If I was in your position and wanted to build up my nail business then I would quit the office job and just focus on the business I was trying to build up. In all honesty, I cant see how you can build up a good clientelle when you are only avaliable X ammount of days a week. You are losing out on potential clients who cant fit an appointment in around your days/hours so they will go elsewhere so they can get the service of their choice to fit in with their lifestyle. I totally understand that there are bills to pay etc but if you want it to work, you have no other option but to make it work.
David.x

Latest posts

Back