Job-less, car-less, what to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rory Love

Reaction score
Hey all,

Feeling very down about everything right now. Just been told I'm not entitled to job seeker's allowance as my boyfriend works 30 hours pw (minimum wage) and as I live with him and his family I can't have anything. I still have to pay rent to his dad and pay for food shopping every week! I was working as a store manager in a gadget shop over Christmas but it closed down at the beginning of Feb.

So now what?
I'm currently doing the CND Complete Course, just completed manicure day and have Shellac day on 7th March. I'm completely new to nails other than having a giant nail polish collection. I don't drive, home salon isn't an option and I have no clients or salon experience so.. What can I do?

Do you think it's a crazy idea for me to advertise in my local area (very built up with housing) and walk to these people's homes and offer natural nail treatments while still training in enhancements? Or maybe advertise for bigger group treatments like pamper parties and princess parties? (I read that you can get full insurance on treatments you have trained in before completing a course if you get something written from your educator?)

Or do I keep looking for work in retail or admin and practice nails for when I do eventually start up?

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
He should be entitled to Working Tax Credit. As long as he is working 30 hours a week.

He should be entitled to Working Tax Credit. As long as he is working 30 hours a week.

Unfortunately not. I think it goes on household income so if his mum and dad are working they won't get it

Nothing that I filled in asked me anything to do with anyone's wage.
All they know is I'm living with my boyfriend who works 30 hours a week.

We live with his dad's uncle who is disabled and his dad is his carer - so neither of them work.

go on a website called entitled to and put all your details on there, just asks for income etc no personal details...it will tell you if you are entitled to anything x

go on a website called entitled to and put all your details on there, just asks for income etc no personal details...it will tell you if you are entitled to anything x

Thanks souz.
I entered all info on there and it says entitled to nothing.

Thanks souz.
I entered all info on there and it says entitled to nothing.

Hope things are better now, and good luck to the future.

Sadly when you are a "couple" they do expect you to live as such and support each other when needs be. In this instance, they expect him to help cover your expenses as he is earning what about £800 ish a month?

If you are paying rent, you may be entitled to housing benefit but you would need a contract.

Hey all,

Feeling very down about everything right now. Just been told I'm not entitled to job seeker's allowance as my boyfriend works 30 hours pw (minimum wage) and as I live with him and his family I can't have anything. I still have to pay rent to his dad and pay for food shopping every week! I was working as a store manager in a gadget shop over Christmas but it closed down at the beginning of Feb.

So now what?
I'm currently doing the CND Complete Course, just completed manicure day and have Shellac day on 7th March. I'm completely new to nails other than having a giant nail polish collection. I don't drive, home salon isn't an option and I have no clients or salon experience so.. What can I do?

Do you think it's a crazy idea for me to advertise in my local area (very built up with housing) and walk to these people's homes and offer natural nail treatments while still training in enhancements? Or maybe advertise for bigger group treatments like pamper parties and princess parties? (I read that you can get full insurance on treatments you have trained in before completing a course if you get something written from your educator?)

Or do I keep looking for work in retail or admin and practice nails for when I do eventually start up?

Any help appreciated.

Can you not go out and look for a temporary job?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Could you rent a nail desk?

Can you not go out and look for a temporary job?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

This thread is from 2013 and got brought back to life. I'm sure the OP has found a new job :)

Yr right very strange!

Latest posts

Back