Job makes me feel like a nothing, nobody

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My other half sees my job as playing. The other week he asked if I was busy so I told him what I had booked in and his reply was "so you're painting some nails & washing some faces"! I did point out to him that I am now making more than I earnt in a full week in 3 days meaning I can pay my way and spend time with our baby.

I do need to draw boundaries though. Tomorrow is my day off but I'm going to work as the chiropodist that works in the salon wants her nails done. I've explained I have childcare in place for the days I work but she can't come those days. So I'm taking my daughter with me which I know will be a nightmare as she's only 13 months. I need to be firm and say I can only do the 3 days I'm in.

I've started rambling now lol. Anyway don't let it get you down hun. Keep smiling :-D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

My other half sees my job as playing. The other week he asked if I was busy so I told him what I had booked in and his reply was "so you're painting some nails & washing some faces"! I did point out to him that I am now making more than I earnt in a full week in 3 days meaning I can pay my way and spend time with our baby.

I do need to draw boundaries though. Tomorrow is my day off but I'm going to work as the chiropodist that works in the salon wants her nails done. I've explained I have childcare in place for the days I work but she can't come those days. So I'm taking my daughter with me which I know will be a nightmare as she's only 13 months. I need to be firm and say I can only do the 3 days I'm in.

I've started rambling now lol. Anyway don't let it get you down hun. Keep smiling :-D

You might also want to factor in the days you are caring for her - tally up what you would have spent on childcare and add that amount to your wage. Grrr if someone said that you me I would probably knee them in the whatsits (or perhaps strap them down, paint their nails and wash their face)

Men just don't get it. He comes home saying he's been working hard all day & doesn't know what I do all day. But on a fri night when I work late & sat he complains what hard work it is looking after a toddler. I'm going to buy him a medal for the next time he tells me he's tired after looking after her lol

Hi geeks,

I had a situation today that totally made me think of this post! And how people tend to it take out careers seriously.

My client today decided to repeatedly mention the fact that My application for physiotherapy at uni was declined, and she kept saying "you must be absolutely GUTTED that your stuck doing this the rest of your life!"... And then proceeded to tell me I need to "sort my self out, and come up with a plan b, quick"

What a cheek! I never once complained to her about my job!! And I have only actually seen her 3 times in total. What is the need in her being so negative? I just have a genuine interest in Physio. But the way she spoke to me, she completely put me down and I actually wanted to walk out.

My reply was "to be honest I've built up my business over the years and I now have lots of nice regular clients and I'm really proud of what I've achieved". That shut her up, she had no reply!

I think in our industry, we will always encounter this sort of client. But now, I'm just not willing to let these comments go.

Argh!

*meant to say how people don't take our careers seriosly*

Just had it again from the other half last night that I need to get a real job.

My car insurance is due next month, my daughter needs a new high school uniform with all the kit and kaboodle which will add up to hundreds of pounds, and he announces that I desperately need two new tyres on my car as they're worn down.

So I have a moan that everything comes at once and he replies that if I had a real job I could afford it all. I said no, if I had a real job, any extra I would be making by working full time would be going towards childcare you imbecile.

Then he tells me not to book any appointments on Fridays during the school hols as he is taking them off too so it can be family time. I told him to sod off, I will be booking appointments all day and he can look after the kids for me without me having to pay someone else to do it like I will have to do during the rest of the week which will decrease my earnings by 60%!!

if I had a real job, do you think they'd let me book every Friday off? What a numpty!

So often, because we work on our own, it just becomes so personal. As has been said, the client isn't thinking of you, they're just thinking of getting their nails done, so while they think of it, they act on it. Doesn't mean you have to reply! It says on my website that you can text or call 24/7 - but you might have to wait for an answer!!! I have just started employing my daughter as a beauty therapist, and I now pay my husband to come and help me with jobs in the salon, so all those chaps who are unsupportive of the lovely ladies on here might want to watch themselves if redundancies loom. Yours might be the only job that's not threatened lol!!!

Wow, there's some real ass holes out there!!

I must say I'm extremely lucky to have an other half like mine. He's so supportive and thinks its great I'm chasing my dream! (My business is only small as I'm only starting out)

I do understand where everyone is coming from though. I have a group of female friends, and they all have degrees! There's a HR consultant for a big firm, a solicitor, 2 accountants and a teacher..... I'm the only one out of this group that owns my own house, and my own business! At the end of the day they all get up and make money for someone else, I however make it for myself :)

Last edited:
Right I find these attitudes too. Sometimes people are almost "offended" bye our job as well. For example people who did do crap in school, never bothered in college and are now stuck in a job they hate. Almost like "oh I would like to sit around painting nails all day, but I don't have time for that I had to get a real job straight from school. Also the "part time" thing is so looked down on, like you shouldn't be a stay at home mum you should put your kids straight into nursery 8-6 and go straight back to work full time as soon as baby takes its first breath! For goodness sake when did people get so blooming interested in other people's lives! Crikey I would not judge a person bye their job the same as I wouldn't judge someone bye their colour or sexuality or age! Rediculouee! X

I know the feeling. As an a* student at school my family and teachers all expected me to go into some academic/ office/ accounting type of job. Beauty was always something i knew I wanted to do but had always put it off as being told from a young age it was 'unpaid' 'easy' and 'for thick people'.
When I first got a Saturday job in a salon during my final year at school I absolutely loved it, felt like I was destined to do this job. When applying for college I toldy family and teachers I wanted to study beauty therapy and oh my gosh!! The reaction I got from my school was VILE they called my mother into a meeting insulting her for 'allowing me to consider such a thing' and told her ill be working with 'thick and stupid people who have no gcse's' It was such an degrading time for me as I felt stereotyped for my future to be hopeless. Luckily I have very very supportive parents who know fully understand my love for this industry! I'm now working full time at the same salon where I started my Saturday job, I have now got a regular client base and have been very lucky to be sent to the creative academy and nouveau by my boss and am now doing fully priced and qualified treatments, ill start my first year at college in September and am so so excited! I'm so glad I don't have to wake up to a boring job and actually enjoy my work. All my clients are so shocked when I told them Im only 16, I'm so proud I stuck to my gut instinct. I don't think people realise how much effort and understanding goes into beauty. Some times it's hard with others putting you down, but I really really do love my job :)

What I've found is that when you tell people what you're doing they say "oh what stopped you going to uni?" When I tell people I have a degree but decided hairdressing was what I wanted to do they look even more confused. :D

I really admire people who choose specific careers such as hairdressing, nursing, plumbing etc because it shows they know what they want to do. What I found while I was at uni was that most people were just there to "get a degree" because they thought it meant you would get instahired by anyone. -.-

Would just like to know what would all of these patronising people do and indeed how would any of them look if they didn't have beauty professionals, nail professionals and hair professionals!! We all have acquired great skills through our training and we should never constantly justify ourselves to anyone! We must remember that these people are booking withus because we are professionals and we must act accordingly. Believe in yourselves geeks and clients will believe in you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a degree (2.1) in marketing and advertising and I jacked in a high flying Career in publishing to train in hairdressing and makeup artistry.

I now run a successful wedding business doing makeup and hair and write material for wedding magazines

My other half however wants me to get a 'proper job' as what I do is not a really job.

My response was this:

It is a 'proper job' as the HMRC/ taxman continue to recognise my tax self assessment forms every year and tax my makeup and hair business as much as they like.

Surly if what I did was not a proper job I wouldn't have to pay tax

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king" Never look upon being educated in this job as a failure its a bonus. Lets face it your wealthy cluents do not want to go to a thick chav. Before I get abuse vidal sasson went for execution lessons and you will find a lot of people in beauty at the top of the game went to top schools, its no accident! I have worked with girls who have been to Cheltenham ladies college, fettes, rugby st leonards and thats not to mention your cheaper run of the mill private school. It how successful you become that counts.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king" Never look upon being educated in this job as a failure its a bonus. Lets face it your wealthy cluents do not want to go to a thick chav. Before I get abuse vidal sasson went for execution lessons and you will find a lot of people in beauty at the top of the game went to top schools, its no accident! I have worked with girls who have been to Cheltenham ladies college, fettes, rugby st leonards and thats not to mention your cheaper run of the mill private school. It how successful you become that counts.

lol think you might mean 'elocution' :D

lol think you might mean 'elocution' :D

although execution lessons could come in handy at times.....i am kidding of course ;)

And just because someone is uneducated it does not make them a "thick chav"!! How snobby!
My dad grew up on a council estate in Coventry with 7 brothers, they all left school with no further education and my dad is a Director of a multi national insurance firm, his brother the CEO of the uks biggest travel agents.
My ex who went to uni, Funded by his millionaire father is now unable to get a job due to his conviction for drug trafficking.
You really are judgemental.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

And just because someone is uneducated it does not make them a "thick chav"!! How snobby!
My dad grew up on a council estate in Coventry with 7 brothers, they all left school with no further education and my dad is a Director of a multi national insurance firm, his brother the CEO of the uks biggest travel agents.
My ex who went to uni, Funded by his millionaire father is now unable to get a job due to his conviction for drug trafficking.
You really are judgemental.

Yeah, but she's funny and hilarious at the same time! I love reading her posts; though judging by her own spelling and grammar I doubt she is educated herself. Still though, a very funny poster with some rather obscure opinions - every forum needs one!

:)

Yeah, but she's funny and hilarious at the same time! I love reading her posts; though judging by her own spelling and grammar I doubt she is educated herself. Still though, a very funny poster with some rather obscure opinions - every forum needs one!

:)

I think the best thing you can bring to the table is an open mind and acceptance. You are right, good for comedy value though, like the Katie Hopkins of Salon geek ;)

Latest posts

Back