Job searches

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LinaP

Reaction score
Hello,

I was just wondering if as a salon owner would you ever think it a massive faux pass if someone walked in when you aren't visibly hiring to inquire about work?
Obviously cv and portfolio ready.
Or would it be better to send emails with attachments and links to social media?
At the moment I'm home based but it seems like a move quite far is inevitable due to my partner's job... Any insights appreciated x

There's nothing like a personal touch. I've offered jobs to over 12 people in 3 years and I only advertised for one of them. Everyone else has approached me spectulatively.

Do your research on each possible employer, phone up and get a feel for the business. Say you are moving to the area and looking for a new salon (imply you mean as a client) and what their most popular treatments are and if there quiet times of day/week when you could walk in.

Employers don't have much imagination - present yourself for the salon you're visitingDon't be all Spa (light make up, hair up and clean short nails) if you are visiting somewhere where everyone has nail art, body jewellery and big hair. Turn up looking employable. Look groomed, not casual, don't be trailing dripping umbrellas and shopping. Wear a nice jacket if its chilly, not something practical but scruffy. .

You might not get to see a decision maker - but be prepared, the owner may be lurking/hiding.

Have a nice CV to leave. Put it in a protective sleeve or give it some sort of cover page - so your personal info isn't on display to everyone. It might be left on the salon front desk - so make sure it looks good, not like homework you did in a hurry late at night.

Introduce yourself, imagine you are a therapist greeting a new client. Break the ice. Say you are relocating to the area and ask if there might be any openings. "Openings" is a good word. Ask if you can leave your CV and say that you are really looking for X hours but you are prepared to be flexible. Ask the name of the person that you should speak to and get an email address.

Follow your visit up with an email, attaching a copy of your CV. Refer to your visit, say something nice about the salon and how much you would like to be a part of the team.

Good luck.

There's nothing like a personal touch. I've offered jobs to over 12 people in 3 years and I only advertised for one of them. Everyone else has approached me spectulatively.

Do your research on each possible employer, phone up and get a feel for the business. Say you are moving to the area and looking for a new salon (imply you mean as a client) and what their most popular treatments are and if there quiet times of day/week when you could walk in.

Employers don't have much imagination - present yourself for the salon you're visitingDon't be all Spa (light make up, hair up and clean short nails) if you are visiting somewhere where everyone has nail art, body jewellery and big hair. Turn up looking employable. Look groomed, not casual, don't be trailing dripping umbrellas and shopping. Wear a nice jacket if its chilly, not something practical but scruffy. .

You might not get to see a decision maker - but be prepared, the owner may be lurking/hiding.

Have a nice CV to leave. Put it in a protective sleeve or give it some sort of cover page - so your personal info isn't on display to everyone. It might be left on the salon front desk - so make sure it looks good, not like homework you did in a hurry late at night.

Introduce yourself, imagine you are a therapist greeting a new client. Break the ice. Say you are relocating to the area and ask if there might be any openings. "Openings" is a good word. Ask if you can leave your CV and say that you are really looking for X hours but you are prepared to be flexible. Ask the name of the person that you should speak to and get an email address.

Follow your visit up with an email, attaching a copy of your CV. Refer to your visit, say something nice about the salon and how much you would like to be a part of the team.

Good luck.
Thank you so much this is great advice! This plan really helped alleviate some anxiety around this xxx

Massive faux pas = walking in on a Saturday...

Latest posts

Back