Johnson's Baby Shampoo as a colour remover?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has a ph of 8, why would anyone use that?

Wow that is very interesting!
I for one certainly thought it was really gentle.... Although I didn't think it ever did much so I switched my bub onto bedhead for men ;-)

I for one certainly thought it was really gentle.... Although I didn't think it ever did much so I switched my bub onto bedhead for men ;-)

Have a look at pear shampoo--Modern organic products :) it's beautiful!! Great for little ones x

It's gentle on your eyes (eyes are alkaline), wrecks your hair though.

Well I've stopped now lol! I got organic shampoo n conditioner! Too scared after these comments! Maybe I'm not doing my hair any good. X

I'm finding this thread really interesting so I thought I'd ask my son bout acid and alkaline, my son just informed me that on the ph scale 1 is a very strong acid and 14 is a very strong alkaline so johnsons shampoo is only just just past neutral ( water ) so how can it strip colour ? :eek:

Interesting from a scientific point of view.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

Me to iv used johnsons with my kiddie winks I use simple now non perfume witch is also gentle BUT IS IT! Lol
Think il switch them to organic now! :)

I think from a parenting only point of view that any of these products will be entirely safe for use. Else they would not be able to sell them. The products values may well be misleading but the fact is they are safe so perhaps we should not worry to much x

I'm finding this thread really interesting so I thought I'd ask my son bout acid and alkaline, my son just informed me that on the ph scale 1 is a very strong acid and 14 is a very strong alkaline so johnsons shampoo is only just just past neutral ( water ) so how can it strip colour ? :eek:

Not quite correct.
Your hair/skin is ph 4.5-5.5 It is acidic naturally.
On the ph scale 1 is most acidic, rising to 7 which is neutral, rising through the alkaline scale to 14, which is most alkaline.

For hair/scalp health, shampoo should have a ph of 5, which is acidic. A higher ph will cause hair to swell. Colour/bleach contain ammonia which is alkaline and purposely swell the hair to allow pigment molecules to oxidise. It is why it is so important to condition after a colour using a conditioner with an acid ph to shrink the hair back down and lock the new colour pigments in.

Anyway your eyes are alkaline, so an acidic shampoo would sting them, hence why baby shampoo is alkaline.

Bleach is ph 8-9, so please dont think 8 is mild alkaline. Hair remova cream is ph9-10 and that MELTS hair:lol:

Alkaline shampoos not only swell the hair, they also remove the acidic layer, or acid mantle (its correct name) on your skin/scalp. This removes essential antiseptic properties, and can cause reactions such as cradle cap.

Please can everyone check their science before posting please. Ta xx

Not quite correct.
Your hair/skin is ph 4.5-5.5 It is acidic naturally.
On the ph scale 1 is most acidic, rising to 7 which is neutral, rising through the alkaline scale to 14, which is most alkaline.

For hair/scalp health, shampoo should have a ph of 5, which is acidic. A higher ph will cause hair to swell. Colour/bleach contain ammonia which is alkaline and purposely swell the hair to allow pigment molecules to oxidise. It is why it is so important to condition after a colour using a conditioner with an acid ph to shrink the hair back down and lock the new colour pigments in.

Anyway your eyes are alkaline, so an acidic shampoo would sting them, hence why baby shampoo is alkaline.

Bleach is ph 8-9, so please dont think 8 is mild alkaline. Hair remova cream is ph9-10 and that MELTS hair:lol:

Alkaline shampoos not only swell the hair, they also remove the acidic layer, or acid mantle (its correct name) on your skin/scalp. This removes essential antiseptic properties, and can cause reactions such as cradle cap.

Please can everyone check their science before posting please. Ta xx

I've actually just saved this info on my phone, class!!! I mean err I totally knew this anyway :o lol xx

Sorry to hijack thread but can anyone recommend a baby shampoo that IS gentle ?

When I had my baby I was swamped with Johnsons products but I knew the baby skin products had a bad reputation and I had also heard of the shampoo stripping colour so I gave all of it away and tried to just use Organic products. A few months ago I found a sample size bottle of the shampoo and used it on my son as I had used up all his normal stuff.
A couple of weeks after I started using it he started to get terrible exezma all over his shoulders and top of his neck. I didn't make the connection until I took him to the doctors and they told me it was probably because I was using Johnsons shampoo on him ! :eek:

I have just been using my shampoo on him since then but I want to get him something just for him as I use Tigi dumb blonde so not ideal !

Just use a good brand of shampoo and dont get it in his eyes. Any good salon brand is fine.

Just use a good brand of shampoo and dont get it in his eyes. Any good salon brand is fine.

You are the hair queen of all hairdressers.... I admire all of your knowledge!!xx

great thread, might be a really simple question but how do u find out what ph a shampoo is?

I think from a parenting only point of view that any of these products will be entirely safe for use. Else they would not be able to sell them. The products values may well be misleading but the fact is they are safe so perhaps we should not worry to much x

They sell cigarettes too, so just because something is on sale doesn't make it safe

They sell cigarettes too, so just because something is on sale doesn't make it safe

An absolutely ridiculous comment and not at all a good comparison. I'm sure you thought you were being clever. However if this shampoo was a danger to a child it would not be in sale and/or it would contain a warning as required by law.

Its an entirely different product, market and issue.

Sent from my AT100 using SalonGeek

Johnson's baby shampoo does exactly what it is designed to do....clean the hair with out causing tears. Any shampoo regaurdless of price will clean the hair, the biggest difference is how many preservatives, the amount of fillers used and what fragrance is added.

Having said that, baby shampoo is safe, albeit harsh, to use on a baby. The biggest draw backs are the high pH and the harsh surfactant used. It won't cause any long term effects, but can cause dry skin, eczema, rash and create a potential breeding ground for bacteria- which can then lead to other skin issues with long term use.

There are several major professional division manufacturer's who have baby shampoo- Paul Mitchell Baby Don't Cry & Redken Amino Pon, are the two that come to mind first. Any shampoo that is acid balanced will be perfectly adequate to use, just be careful not to get the shampoo or suds in the eyes.

If you really want to remove color, a specifically designed color remover is your best bet.

An absolutely ridiculous comment and not at all a good comparison. I'm sure you thought you were being clever. However if this shampoo was a danger to a child it would not be in sale and/or it would contain a warning as required by law.

Its an entirely different product, market and issue.

Sent from my AT100 using SalonGeek

It's not a danger, its just cheap rubbish. Itt's designed not to sting their eyes, which it does very well.

There are plenty of chemist shop shampoos that are just as bad, poundshop shampoo is worse than fairy liquid.

You were given some great recomendations in the post above of good quality tearless shampoo's.

Oh dear, when my son was born I always bathed him in johnsons as I thought that was best.

He had really bad dry skin for a while and was put on hydrocortisone and excema cream.I stopped using johnsons in favour of a liquid to put in the bath and a soap wash designed for dry skin and it stopped.

I wonder if that was the problem as he has very sensitive skin.

My daughter also now 3 still has cradle cap!! Can't budge it and have been using cradle cap shampoo and baby shampoo so will stop using that and find something gentler for her.

Didn't realise it would be as harsh.Oh and I dont know why it's called no more tears,get it in your eyes and it's a killer lol. X

It's not a danger, its just cheap rubbish. Itt's designed not to sting their eyes, which it does very well.

There are plenty of chemist shop shampoos that are just as bad, poundshop shampoo is worse than fairy liquid.

You were given some great recomendations in the post above of good quality tearless shampoo's.

I didn't asleep for recommendations... Im quite capable of deciding what's best for my children with the help and whatinfo you Persian, informed us of earlier. Thanks for that. :)

I was simply saying comparing shampoo to cigarettes that cause cancer is pathetic. And i stand by that comment. X

I didn't asleep for recommendations... Im quite capable of deciding what's best for my children with the help and whatinfo you Persian, informed us of earlier. Thanks for that. :)

I was simply saying comparing shampoo to cigarettes that cause cancer is pathetic. And i stand by that comment. X

Typo xxx ask for....not asleep xxx

Latest posts

Back