Join Hugh's 'Chicken Out' Campaign!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackieMc

Reaction score
Don't know if any of you have been watching Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's 'Chicken Run' - I can't because I know the images will upset me but then I refuse to buy anything but Free Range Eggs & Chicken anyway so don't need converting, but he has a campaign to try to bring to the public's attention the plight of the 'intensively farmed chicken'.

If you would like to 'join' his campaign - doesn't cost anything, or would like to know more about the dreadful conditions some of these birds are being kept in before ending up in the supermarket - here's the link.....

Home

Jackie

i only saw a clip of when he had to cull one of these poor chickens, that was enough for me, i hate animal cruelty in any shape or form, the conditions of these poor little chick is awful, its for this reason i wont watch it, cos i know for a fact ill end up in tears.

by not watching it, im not being ignorant to the problem, its the cruelty i cant watch flower

think i will be switching over to free range tho

we only buy local free range eggs, and dont eat animals, but i shall join his campaign, anything to help!

Good for you Soda - the more the merrier!! *S*

Glynis, I know exactly what you mean, I can't watch the tv programme now because it is so upsetting, but not so many years ago I was completely ignornant of the terrible and cruel conditions in which these poor birds are being kept. It took a programme like this to open my eyes and allow me to make an informed decision about the type of food I would be buying in future.

I strongly believe that if we are using animals to provide food for ourselves then the very least we can do is give them a comfortable and enjoyable life and a stress free death.

I have been under the impression that most people know what goes on behind the 'battery farms'doors, but Sean told me he was telling the guys at work about it a while ago and not one of them knew of the cruelty involved.

Hopefully Hugh and Jamie Oliver (who is also involved in the campaign along with many others) will be able to eventually put a stop to the torture of these poor chickens..... I am ashamed to think that people consider us a civilised society, there is nothing civilised about the way these birds are being kept.

For anyone who isn't convinced, take a look at the pics at the following link (graphic) and see if you can still enjoy your next £1.99 chicken from the supermarket!

Image Gallery: Battery Hen Pictures Page 2

here here! if i was a meat eater i would try to make sure that i bought locally sourced, organic free range meat, that way i would be supporting local businesses too!

Signed up:hug:

Only ever buy free range .... coincidentally, received some bumpf from Sainsbury's through the post today, catagorically stating that all the fresh and frozen chicken, as well as eggs which they sell, is British and "from Assured Food Standards (Red Tractor) to Free Range to Organic." This is because, they say, television programmes and articles currently in the press, and they are keen to re-assure their customers of their food practices.

Only ever buy free range .... coincidentally, received some bumpf from Sainsbury's through the post today, catagorically stating that all the fresh and frozen chicken, as well as eggs which they sell, is British and "from Assured Food Standards (Red Tractor) to Free Range to Organic." This is because, they say, television programmes and articles currently in the press, and they are keen to re-assure their customers of their food practices.

But it's nonsense. Unless it clearly states on the packaging that the meat is organic or free range, it isn't !!

The £1.99 chickens you get most definately aren't free range. They are providing customers with false information by saying the above :irked:

They are probably "pooping" themselves with all the publicity and are scared that they are going to lose money by people not buying the cheap chickens anymore and are now being "economical" with the truth.

Marlise

Last edited:
I support this campaign wholeheartedly, and am extremely annoyed that I've been misled for all these years........
I buy the tesco chickens that have the blue label, with a picture of a farmer and a bit of blurb basically saying "this is one of our farmers, he assures the highest standards of welfare etc", and I bought them on this basis. Now I know I've been misled, Tesco are losing my customer altogether.

That woman Hayley off that programme is annoying me. When I was a skint single parent, I did not see it as justification for animals to suffer appalling existences just so I can have chickens for a quid or so cheaper. I was a virtual vegetarian at the time because I wasnt prepared to compromise my morals on animal welfare. Fortunately I am better off now, and I dont have a problem with eating animals provided they are reared and killed in a humane manner, and so I am very annoyed that Tesco have blatantly misled me in this way.

I've been doing some internet research today, and I'm going to start buying from local producers who assure high standards. I've found a local delivery service for boxes of organic veg, and I'm trying to find a local farm shop that assures high standards of animal welfare. Have a look at the Abel & Cole website, they deliver boxes of organic veg, also meat & fish, and I will be ordering my meat from them until I can find a supplier who is more local.

I've signed it and I hope more people do to as It's a very good campaign.
To think that a an animal/bird is only worth £1.99, sad really.
I don't eat meat and I make sure we buy free range eggs.

I've signed up.

I always buy free range eggs, wouldn't have it any other way. I have them delivered by the local farmer every 2 weeks - super jumbos - double yokers every one of them!

I've not really thought about the free range chicken, but having followed the links and seen the images, I'm deffo going to do the right thing now & buy free range.

thank you for sharing

i will start to buy free range eggs form now on

i buy my meat from a local butchers not supermarkets

im not a chicken fan anyway, but this program has really appalled me:cry:

i always buy free range eggs and will defo not buy any of these £2 chickens in the future.

added my name to the list too x

I have been watching this programme all week with interest at the way supermarkets blind people with advertising! I am lucky enough to have a guy up the road that I buy my eggs and chickens from. I also only use my local butcher from meat.
As for this Hayley 'bird' on this programme saying they are sooooooooooo expensive. Well, with the chicken I got off my guy this time, I cooked a roast for the 3 of us last night, did a rissotto for tonight, got a chicken soup on the go as I type, using the carcess as stock..........and still got enough left for my sarny tomorrow for work.... I paid £10.50. I don't think thats bad going. And the meals weren't tiny btw!!
xxxx

Hayley is a double standard, two faced what not !

She was trying to play it really tough and don't give a damn attitude for the camera. She raised chickens and saw how "standard" chickens were treated.

Yeah, yeah I support you blah blah blah, and then goes and buys 2 for £5 chickens with Hugh standing there !

I was gob smacked :eek:

I didn't see the first two episodes, wasn't sure I wanted to see them, but I sat down and watched last night's.

Poor old Hugh, being blamed for everything else that's wrong in the world! And those awful men in the pub, swigging down their pints and smoking their cigarettes and then stating proudly that they can't afford to pay the extra for a free range chicken - what ****holes!!

What really got me though was the email from Asda to Hugh in which they state they "do not care enough about chicken welfare" to have anyone speak to Hugh about it! I was appalled when I saw that - what a dreadful attitude to have towards the suffering of these animals that are helping to pay their salary! I used to stock up from Asda every time I went back to the UK - I won't be buying another single thing from there ever again (until that stinking attitude of theirs changes) and neither will my mum. She used to do a huge weekly shop there and now she's going to go elsewhere, and she's going to tell all her friends about it too - good for her!

As for that dreadful Hayley, although I missed the first 2 episodes from reading the forum on the Chicken Out! website I've managed to get the drift of what's gone one - I hope she can't hold her head up in public now. It sounds as if she had no intention of changing over to Free Range and has just gone on the programme for her 2 minutes of fame, well I hope she's happy with the 'infamy' she's brought upon herself.

well done Jackie for continuing to highlight this. I'm sure most people are simply unaware of just how bad these birds are treated and the miserable life they have from day 1 until they are slaughtered. Good on you for helping your mum see the light and cjange her shopping habits accordingly. The general shopping public potentially have a really strong voice if we could only manage to band together, things like this could soon be a thing of the past so if this really affects you and you'd like to make a difference, tell everyone whats going on.

i only buy organic free range chickens/ breasts which cost me a fortune but its principle in my opinion. although i do think free range and organic are very expensive and if the prices could be cut a little it may encourage more people to buy it.
cruelty to chickens is not new and has been going on for many years...

xxxxxxxxxx

I dont eat meat but I make sure my son does (until he old enough to make his own choices).

I used to have a real problem with Hugh especially when a vet castrated a bull then they bbq'd the removed said items...

However, hes a realist - I like his compassion. I really quite like him now. He really does love animals.

I havent watched the program but my hubby has and hes keeping me informed cos Im really interested - but cant watch.

I suppose this 'hayley' has some points - its these people who are going to be the hardest to change - thats why shes probably on the program.

I know what shes saying - why pay more if theres cheaper (once they are packaged - why would someone really care?) BUT if they simply not available at that price people wont have that option. I know its rubbish that people cant afford it - families spend £6 for 3 happy meals in macs, they dont complain at that...and its miniscule.

We dont mind paying extra for free range - we dont have high incomes either. I just want what is better for the animals. They treat vegetables better than these chickens.

I suppose this 'hayley' has some points - its these people who are going to be the hardest to change - thats why shes probably on the program.

I know what shes saying - why pay more if theres cheaper (once they are packaged - why would someone really care?) BUT if they simply not available at that price people wont have that option. I know its rubbish that people cant afford it - families spend £6 for 3 happy meals in macs, they dont complain at that...and its miniscule.

Aint that the truth ! To be honest, they probably spend more if they buy off the regular menu :irked:

I so agree. I only have a budget of £100 per month to buy food with. I always buy organic milk and eggs and buy organic meat where I can.

If I can't afford organic meat, then I try not to buy it.

Yes, it's tempting when you stand there and they offer you two chickens for £5 and you look at the free range one which costs £8+ each.

But I've been a member of PETA, CIWF etc. for a long time, so I'm all too aware of what happens to all industrial farmed animals and the picture isn't pretty :cry:

You just need to go to the PETA web site and watch some of the videos on there, it's heart breaking and sickening to see what REALLY happens to the meat we eat !

I have tried to be a vegetarian, I really have, but I can't do it. So my compromise is that I eat a lot less meat than I used to in the past.

Marlise

Latest posts

Back