Joke of the day

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penny71

Reaction score
I just had to share this as I read a lot of threads about nearby competitors creating waves and would like any input/advice from geeks.

I've recently (2 weeks ago) moved from a home salon to a little shop salon and have been putting flyers around the area.

Anyway this morning I got a call from a local reflexologist saying she had seen one of my flyers and so was asking for work. I asked her to email me her CV and I would keep it on file and contact her if need be. To be honest I do reflexology and it's not a popular treatment and certainly not one I could imagine ever needing additional hands to do and certainly not this woman anyway. So back to the drama, she said she wanted to come in and give me her CV in person, so I said I'd rather she just emailed - I havn't got time for chit chat and coffee with anyone but customers at the mo. She then said, well I will come round and give you some of my business cards and you can let people who want mobile treatments have my details. At this point I saw my ***** and said promoting her business was her responsibility, not mine. She turned nasty and said "your attitude as a holistic therapist stinks" and put the phone down. Me being me I had to ring her back and read her the riot act about boundaries and MY business. She retorted by telling me to "**** off" and put the phone down again. Thankfully I didn't stoop to the swearing and insults, just was very assertive about business booundaries.

I blocked her number but am now thinking whether I should report her to the police as she was being verbally insulting and aggressive and for the rest of the afternoon I was on pins wonedring whether she had the bare faced to come round to the salon where at the moment, I work just by myself.

What do you think geeks? X

Ignore it and get on with more important things.

I just had to share this as I read a lot of threads about nearby competitors creating waves and would like any input/advice from geeks.

I've recently (2 weeks ago) moved from a home salon to a little shop salon and have been putting flyers around the area.

Anyway this morning I got a call from a local reflexologist saying she had seen one of my flyers and so was asking for work. I asked her to email me her CV and I would keep it on file and contact her if need be. To be honest I do reflexology and it's not a popular treatment and certainly not one I could imagine ever needing additional hands to do and certainly not this woman anyway. So back to the drama, she said she wanted to come in and give me her CV in person, so I said I'd rather she just emailed - I havn't got time for chit chat and coffee with anyone but customers at the mo. She then said, well I will come round and give you some of my business cards and you can let people who want mobile treatments have my details. At this point I saw my ***** and said promoting her business was her responsibility, not mine. She turned nasty and said "your attitude as a holistic therapist stinks" and put the phone down. Me being me I had to ring her back and read her the riot act about boundaries and MY business. She retorted by telling me to "**** off" and put the phone down again. Thankfully I didn't stoop to the swearing and insults, just was very assertive about business booundaries.

I blocked her number but am now thinking whether I should report her to the police as she was being verbally insulting and aggressive and for the rest of the afternoon I was on pins wonedring whether she had the bare faced to come round to the salon where at the moment, I work just by myself.

What do you think geeks? X

Police? Really? I think they have better things to deal with than this pathetic woman

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I wouldn't contact the police unless she comes to your salon and is aggressive with you. You have done everything they would tell u to do anyway.

I wouldn't contact the police unless she comes to your salon and is aggressive with you. You have done everything they would tell u to do anyway.

Apart from calling the woman back to continue arguing! :p

I don't think she has committed a crime so the police can't help.

Do you think you could have managed it differently?

You had an argument (which you continued by phoning her back). End of. Of course you don't need to phone the police!

It sounds as if you were ruder than she was! You could of been polite and gave her 5 minutes of your time even at the end of the day. .you could have binned her business cards without any of this upset...or even said 'we'll catch up after Christmas' and as for calling her back.... well. I think you are in the wrong on this one sorry to say. Purely my opinion.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes she's in the wrong for calling back! I was simply meaning all the police will say is delete and block the number.. She's done that.

Thanks geeks!

It sounds as if you were ruder than she was! You could of been polite and gave her 5 minutes of your time even at the end of the day. .you could have binned her business cards without any of this upset...or even said 'we'll catch up after Christmas' and as for calling her back.... well. I think you are in the wrong on this one sorry to say. Purely my opinion.

I'm not quite sure why I would need to be polite to someone who was being over pushy and disrespectful or why I would need to give her any time. If she offered a service which complemented what I do but not the same and had a different approach it may have been a different story. The fact is she does what I do and behaved as though I owed her something to give her some time and hand out her business cards!

I'm not quite sure why I would need to be polite to someone who was being over pushy and disrespectful or why I would need to give her any time. If she offered a service which complemented what I do but not the same and had a different approach it may have been a different story. The fact is she does what I do and behaved as though I owed her something to give her some time and hand out her business cards!

I agree with virtues, Id have taken the business cards / CV given her 5 mins to introduce her self & once she had left binned them, just to be 'nice' no point in having an enemy who may well bad mouth you & your business. I completely understand why you wouldn't give out her business cards, id never in a million years ask a salon offering bio sculpture to hand my cards out! But maybe she was hoping along the lines of a job, hence wanting to meet you, be friendly etc.

Xx

If she offered a service which complemented what I do but not the same and had a different approach it may have been a different story. !

Maybe she didn't know exactly what you offered or your "approach", hence why she rang! Don't burn your bridges in my opinion!

I live by the rule you never know where your next client is coming from, had you have met her she could have potentially loved your place and became your most top spending client or recommended you to all hers

Shouldn't you be polite to everyone? and where does the disrespectfulness come from? by someone wanting to give you their cv and business cards, forgive me here but I find it hard to believe this lady said ..' Oi luv..alreet..I wanna giv ya me f^$#ging business cards' YOUR attitude with YOUR reply caused her to become irritated and she then told you what she thought and put the phone down on you. .YOU then called her back and then become offended when she tells you to 'F' off and YOU want to call the police!!!. .I mean. .REALLY. I can't believe I've even spent the time replying to this story as it is so ridiculous.

I must say I agree with the others here. You could of dealt with this differently. She wasn't to know you do reflexology? Did you inform her of this? And the comment about being to busy to meet with anyone and "especially not this woman" has a certain air about it which is unfair. I'm sure you could of spared 5 minutes to hear her out? If you don't ask, you don't get in my opinion, and it seems that this w woman was just using her initiative to try to create further opportunities for herself.

I would certainly of given this woman the chance, you never know what you can get by networking and meeting people! Who knows what she may of brought you and your business? She could if had a whole troop of clients who would follow her to your business, friends, contacts, anything!!! I've got so far by giving things a little chance and from sheer personality. I grab (almost) every opportunity which comes my way and create new ones myself as this woman has tried to do. After meeting her at least you would of then known for sure and if you didn't like her as others have said, you could of just binned the cards and deleted her number! Calling her back clearly turned this into a very hostile situation and should of been avoided. When it comes to police, She has just as much right to call them on you to be fair as you also called her back to further the argument.

I really feel businesses should support each other not present more challenges. Its hard enough out here!!!!

You work in a salon, she's mobile, if the conversation was handled correctly you could have had an arrangement where you refer clients to each other.

I'd have thought that working alone in a little shop should make you think very carefully before making enemies, especially in a new area. No matter who people are or what they do they should be treated with respect. You never know who can cause you problems. Bite your tongue!

Latest posts

Back