Jolen Facial Bleach

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombini

Reaction score
Anybody know if this can affect your skin tone ?

Sounds like a bit of a silly question but i have a client that has lighter skin around her mouth & top lip. She normally has her top lip waxed but sometimes bleachs it in between appointments.
I only noticed it today as she has a bit of a tan, she said that it is there all the time, only more noticable when she wears powder or has tan.
I have never heard of this before !?!

I used to 'bleach' my facial hair.
Then just started using cream depliatory instead. Then i did't have to worry about makeup tinting the 'moustache' or whatever.

Bleaching the hair never bleached my skin.

In fact, in my cosmetology course, we did arm bleaching as well for those with dark hairy arms.

Never had any probs with it.
Guess it would depend on the kind of bleach and how long it was left on for.

I moved from using Jolen onto the Boots own brand about 7 years ago, but I never heard of it bleaching the skin, I switched cos the Jolen on sung and the boots one didn't and had no smel. I've been using it ever since.

It can lighten the skin, in my experience.
Your supposed to use high SPFs in this area too.

Im with Glo...Ive seen a distinct lightening of the skin around the upper lip area, with some of my clients that bleach with Jolen!

You're meant to apply Jolen (or like) very carefully and just to the hair not on your skin, but some people aren't very precise!

If you look at creams that claim to lighten skin or fade pigmentation/discolouration, most of them have Hydrogen Peroxide as the active ingredient.
Hydrogen Peroxide is the main ingredient in hair bleaching creams, so skin-lightening can be an unwanted side effect if the cream is not applied carefully.

How hard is it to apply the cream just to the hair though??? Surely sometimes you cant help but to get it on the skin??!

I have never used it on my face, dont need to really, but my arms are covered in dark hair - I really hate it. What do you geeks recommend for that? I dont want to end up with lighter skin on my arms!!!

Hard! That's why people just slap it on and think "what the hell!" Saying that, it won't be doing any harm and the lightness is hardly noticeable (unless of course you use it on your arms francesXXX! I imagine that might be quite noticeable, especially if you have a tan).

I only use it on my upper lip because I can't use wax there, as it's an area that gets easily irritated. My upper lip hair is very fair anyway so the bleach doesn't stay on for long and I'm really careful about how I apply. I've never tried it anywhere else....

As for your arms, I regularly wax forearms, would you consider that?

AmydeMan said:
Hard! That's why people just slap it on and think "what the hell!" Saying that, it won't be doing any harm and the lightness is hardly noticeable (unless of course you use it on your arms francesXXX! I imagine that might be quite noticeable, especially if you have a tan).

I only use it on my upper lip because I can't use wax there, as it's an area that gets easily irritated. My upper lip hair is very fair anyway so the bleach doesn't stay on for long and I'm really careful about how I apply. I've never tried it anywhere else....

As for your arms, I regularly wax forearms, would you consider that?

Yes, its something I have considered actually - the only thing I am worried about is when it grows back dark, wont it be really noticeable? I just dont want to have 'arm stubble' lol!

you won't have stubble chick, the hair actually grows back finer. if you shaved then it would be stubbly due to the blunt cut from the razor. i'd do it you'd probably thought S**T why didn't i do this ages ago x

Yeah, because the hair is being fully 'taken' (I prefer to use that word, than 'ripped'....don't want to put you off!) out, then the follicle has to produce a new hair, which will grow with a tapered point. As Pen said, only shaving causes a stubbly effect as the razor cuts the hair at skin-level, creating a blunt end.

Definitely try it! You'll be really impressed with the results. Most of my clients don't expect the results to be that amazing, but it makes a huge difference and you'll be really happy with how your arms look after!

Kewel! I may just go for it! x Thanks geeks! x

Jacky said:
Im with Glo...Ive seen a distinct lightening of the skin around the upper lip area, with some of my clients that bleach with Jolen!

Has this effect been permanant on both of your clients ?

AmydeMan said:
You're meant to apply Jolen (or like) very carefully and just to the hair not on your skin, but some people aren't very precise!

If you look at creams that claim to lighten skin or fade pigmentation/discolouration, most of them have Hydrogen Peroxide as the active ingredient.
Hydrogen Peroxide is the main ingredient in hair bleaching creams, so skin-lightening can be an unwanted side effect if the cream is not applied carefully.

I never knew that & facial bleaching was covered in depth as part of my NVQ lv 2 at college. It makes sense though, i will tell her to do that next time !

Bombinigirl said:
Has this effect been permanant on both of your clients ?
Well she continues to use it and so I would have to say yes......her problem is committing to a waxing appointment and so therefore uses this method to "tide her over" as she says!
I suspect the effect would lessen if she simply refrained from using it...or as Amy says...perhaps using it less "heavy handed"
xx

Jacky said:
Well she continues to use it and so I would have to say yes......her problem is committing to a waxing appointment and so therefore uses this method to "tide her over" as she says!
I suspect the effect would lessen if she simply refrained from using it...or as Amy says...perhaps using it less "heavy handed"
xx

Sounds familiar ! I am going to suggest what amy has said if she insists on using it :)
Thanks to everyone that answered x x

Latest posts

Back