'just a job'

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragdoll >^..^<

Reaction score
Do you ever get bored of your job?
I have been doing nails for 8 years now and up until now ive loved my job. but, just recently i am getting so bored of it, same old clients, same old nails, same old everything ! I feel stuck in a rut, and upset because i always said that if i ever stopped enjoying nails is the day i would give up, .... only i can't afford to :sad: I can't even be bothered to do my own nails! i used to make sure they were immaculate at all times! but now... cant be ass'ed :rolleyes: don't have any on at all. Will i ever re-gain my enthusiasm or is it lost forever ???? At the moment i really don't care, it's just a job to me that pays the bills. Thats terrible isn't it ??? !!!

NEED SOME INSPIRATION !!!!!!!!

Not necessarily terrible :green: maybe that's the sign that you have to move on. Not away from nails, but maybe add some new service.

When I got confident with nails, I learned to wax. When I learned to wax, I went to learn L&P. Then I thought, my free hand nail art sucks, so let's see what we can do about that... see my point?

So there's always something new, but I didn't give up my first interest. And that keeps my mind fresh, new services or skills certanly complimented my service menu and I got many new clients.

hth

Not necessarily terrible :green: maybe that's the sign that you have to move on. Not away from nails, but maybe add some new service.

When I got confident with nails, I learned to wax. When I learned to wax, I went to learn L&P. Then I thought, my free hand nail art sucks, so let's see what we can do about that... see my point?

So there's always something new, but I didn't give up my first interest. And that keeps my mind fresh, new services or skills certanly complimented my service menu and I got many new clients.

hth
I agree, I see you are a L&P Master - why not start in gel and aim to become a Master in that:)

Why not try the thrill of competing?
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi Kate
Maybe you need a class to boost you and give you some motivation
education for me has been a major motivator

i totally know where you are coming from, i love my job but you are right sometimes we have down days and need to get back the buzz you get in the beginning
i dont know where the years have gone and cant believe ive been working full time as a tech for 10 years a week after next, and sometimes seeing the same clients doing the same thing can that you have done for years can be boring, but for me its those extras you can do, the client that has design and will let me more or less do what ever i like
or the those clients who want a change and chance polish instead of their p&w

i know you were competing a while back, what abt trying again and giving your self something to aim for and having another go like Jo suggested
competing can be a big high and keep you going

i see from your profile that you are home based, do you think that could also be a factor, living and working in the same place can be difficult at times and we all need time out of the house, what abt going to visit some of your regular clients for a change.... they say a change can be as good as a rest ;)

or failing all that why not just take some time out to see if you miss it
it is a risk naturally, as if you realise that nails is what you really want to do... you have to be careful you dont upset your clients by taking too much time out and losing them but in the long run maybe that is just what you need

hope you get it all figured out and just shout if you need to off load to someone, im about:hug:

Jess
xox

Thanks Jess, I know your right, maybe i should compete again, give me something to aim for. Im just not sure ive got the hunger for it anymore:confused: god i used to be so eager to compete an i loved it, only had the one win bloody donkeys years ago now.... well 2004. Have the rules changed :eek: i wonder, would i still have to enter in div 3 ? i wouldn't stand a chance !!! lol
I would like to get my gel masters but it all costs so much and i only have a couple of gel clients. I keep asking myself ' why? what would be the point of spending all that money to become a gel master, i can't take on any more clients than i already have, there are only so many working hours in the day. You know what its like, kids, husband house school runs etc etc.

Do you know i havn't even been to a show in about 2 years !!! :eek: hmmm
When is the next one? i think i should go !

Thanks Jess, I know your right, maybe i should compete again, give me something to aim for. Im just not sure ive got the hunger for it anymore:confused: god i used to be so eager to compete an i loved it, only had the one win bloody donkeys years ago now.... well 2004. Have the rules changed :eek: i wonder, would i still have to enter in div 3 ? i wouldn't stand a chance !!! lol
I would like to get my gel masters but it all costs so much and i only have a couple of gel clients. I keep asking myself ' why? what would be the point of spending all that money to become a gel master, i can't take on any more clients than i already have, there are only so many working hours in the day. You know what its like, kids, husband house school runs etc etc.

Just a thought Kate, but maybe doing your gel masters would give you back that va-va-voom that you are looking for and in turn, give you inspiration back for all nail clients. Good luck in what you decide to do :hug:

Big hugs Kate! Are you going to The Event? Seeing some new tricks, getting some goodies, and meeting passionate Techies might be a good prescription. Maybe even just going to a show could get you that.

Have you ever thought of teaching nails? Being exposed and inspring people who are just beginning to foster their passion might be the next step; at least then it wouldn't just be nails nails nails in the usual sense...

Good luck and big hugs! Your work is GORGEOUS!

I think it would be a real shame if someone with your talent gave up on nails, I notice that from your profile that you are a trainer in tanning, why not try training to teach nails. Your local college will offer courses that prepare you for teaching in higher education, maybe its not to late to enrol this year on a part time course. It could just be a different avenue to channel your energies, whilst still remaining in the same career. Just a thought :)

The next Pro Beauty shows are -

12th & 13th October - Manchester
1st - 3rd March - London

xx :hug: xx

Hi Kate,

I understand how you feel. I get the same feeling sometimes and i guess that this can happen in any profession. I will start a course in permanent make-up in november which got me very excited again since i wanted to do this for yeaaaars. i feel mentaly much better and very possitive about everything. I noticed i need variation and new challenges not to get bored with one and the same occupation. Maybe you should look into doing something new aswell in the beautyfield that you would enjoy and that you can do besides nails?

Jaqui Jefford asked if i would do some teaching for her a while back but i realy dont think im teaching material. To stand in front of a class of students fills me with total fear. Anyone who knows me will know im not the most outspoken person you'l ever meet ive got very low confidence in myself. Im confident in the work i do, just not in myself, personality etc. I think i could teach on a 121 basis but to do this i would still need to go to college and learn to teach in a classroom environment would't i?

Have you considered doing a Sam biddle workshop?? she does the 'Inspire', 'Create' and 'Design' classes, she holds them at Fareham which is near to you...
hth:hug:

I def agree a class is what you need or just hang in there until The Event - being surrounding by 500 of your colleagues who have passion for what you do or once did will spur you on we'll all b bouncing off each other and I'm sure you'll be brimming with ideas after.
Aslo 8yrs is a long time in nails are you sure you wouldnt consider teaching?, repping?, demonstrating?

I've felt the same before and teaching gave me a new lease of life - I have my own salon now and never knew I wanted one until I was teachging and needed a full time flexible job!

Do you ever get bored of your job?
I have been doing nails for 8 years now and up until now ive loved my job. but, just recently i am getting so bored of it, same old clients, same old nails, same old everything ! I feel stuck in a rut, and upset because i always said that if i ever stopped enjoying nails is the day i would give up, .... only i can't afford to :sad: I can't even be bothered to do my own nails! i used to make sure they were immaculate at all times! but now... cant be ass'ed :rolleyes: don't have any on at all. Will i ever re-gain my enthusiasm or is it lost forever ???? At the moment i really don't care, it's just a job to me that pays the bills. Thats terrible isn't it ??? !!!

NEED SOME INSPIRATION !!!!!!!!

Are you going to The event Kate? It sounds just the thing for you to regain your passion.

Also have you considered expanding your service menu to perhaps include some beauty treatments, not to gain you more clients as that doesn't appear a problem for you but to give you some variety to your working day and a new challenge.:)

Are you going to The event Kate? It sounds just the thing for you to regain your passion.

Also have you considered expanding your service menu to perhaps include some beauty treatments, not to gain you more clients as that doesn't appear a problem for you but to give you some variety to your working day and a new challenge.:)

No im not going to the event, to be honest i havn't been on here too much lately so i dont know what thats about or where it is or anything.

I do lash and brow tinting and a bit of waxing, i cant do too much waxing as my room isnt private enough. I love the tanning, but obviously thats died down now the sun has gone, will prob pick up again nearer christmas.
I know this is prob just a phase and ill come out the other side all guns firing again, i just feel a bit pants at the mo with it all. As long as i make sure i dont let it affect the quality of my work and keep my clients happy ill plod along, and wait for the sun to shine again. I definately think i should go to the next show, see if i can re-light my fire!

Maybe it is down to the awful Summer we've had. A lot of people are feeling down in general x

Latest posts

Back