just can't get my polishing perfect!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michellex

Reaction score
hi guys this has been getting me down for a little while now, my polishing standards just dont seem to be up there with the best, i've read and printed off gigi's tutorial which is really great just been practising on my self (i can do my own fine its just other peoples that is the problem) whenever clients ask about polish my heart skips a beat lol and it shoudnt have to be like that! does anyone have any other tips aswel as those on gigis tutorial? its gettin the roundness round the cuticle area and just the neatness that i have trouble with the most. I know the key is practise practice practise! but just thought id see if anyone had any more tips that would help:) thanks x

Hiya

i know exactly how you feel my polish technique has a lot to be desired i cant get a neat line near the cuticles it always looks scraggly and am hopeless in getting a straight line down the sides. I know its practice practice practice and then when you think you think you have got it practice some more but i just dont get it. I think its the way i am holding the brush cos they say you hold the brush like you do a pen but i hold a pen so weirdly its beyond belief. I think i am going to book in for a polish at a nail salon to see their technique and then practice practice practice

Sam
xx

Is it just me or does it look like she painted into the eponychium in the video? I don't see any gap there but that's just me. Looks awesome though!

Is it just me or does it look like she painted into the eponychium in the video? I don't see any gap there but that's just me. Looks awesome though!

She painted so close, but didn't touch the skin, which is the crucial thing. We are taught to leave a margin as beginners, but surely for experienced techs, how much of a margin we leave is down to our own skill, personal preference, and the preference of the client? This lady can paint perfectly, with practically zero margin, and without touching the skin... so I agree, fabulous! :)

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

There is no need to worry :hug: Beginners and experienced techs have this problem I think! Just be sure never to avoid polishing because you are worried!

Mainly it will come down to technique and practice but if you make a mistake and, lets say, the polish pools a little into the cuticles, you can always fix it :) (This is what I normally hear when people have problems polishing near the cuticle, you didn't mention this so i'm not really sure?)

It probably happens to the best of techs! I am very happy with my polishing and even by my own mistake (rather than the client fidgeting lol) end up with a blotchy nail or with a pool over on the odd occasion! I never fix a pool over with cotton wool or gauze but actually my curette! Then clean off nail polish and plonk it back into the barbicide jar :)

I remember one of my first clients I polished and I'd finished dreading that my finished polish was awful and the client was going to complain; but she actually made a point to compliment how well they were painted! So i'm not saying clients don't have a clue, but more maybe you are very good but being harsh on yourself :hug: Don't worry too much about it, if you are having returning clients who are asking for polish again and again, you are most likely doing a great job :) We can't all be the fantastic few but we wish we were! :lol:

Good to keep striving for it! xxx

Did you notice that she'd pre painted the free edge? Good idea:)

What polish are you using? I find some brands difficult to hold and some brushes more difficult to use. On the rare occasion that a client brings in their own non-pro polish, I hate it if its a Nails Inc bottle, I find them too fat, or a Channel I find them too small! I still manage, but it is much more difficult.

The OPI Pro Wide Brush (on all OPI now) for me is the best brush I have tried - might be worth buying a bottle and seeing if that helps you. It looks to me as if that is what she is using in that video because the brush looks wide and flat, but I could be wrong.

the one thing I did that helped a lot was to slow down my polishing so I could see exactly where i was going, once i go the placement right and confident then the speed built back up naturally.

I don't race through clients by any stretch of the imagination but I like to think I do a a good job for each and every one of them.

HTH
x

I find it helps to lightly pull the side walls down while holding the finger/toe this makes the gap bigger and helps get it nice and close to the edges. :) HTH

The other thing I have found is to "take control". Take control of the treatment rather than being so scared and letting it take over you and then you feel like you are in a boat the middle of the sea with no paddle. Just know that you are in control and then with all the tips to slow down - just like she does in that video, and practise. Like some of the rest of us, I am also harsh on myself and we need to just let up on that. :hug:

thanks for all the replys and tips :) il keep them all in mind :hug:x

hi ya, iv been doing nails for 11 years and i think it is down to practice but i also think some people have the "nack" for it and pick it up more easily. when i trained i was told when starting off to curve the brush around the cuticle to get the perfect line and then polish upwards, that way its a perfect line, then when you feel more comfortable try just doing it in the 3 brush strokes. I still curve around the cuticles for thumbs and big toes, as long as the polish has a good consistancy there is no probs doing this! good luck :Grope:

I am sorry to keep bringing old posts up but this is another great one, and I am sure there are other newbies out there who would be glad of reading them

Latest posts

Back