Just coincidence????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

new-to-nails

Reaction score
This may seem like daft thing to ask....but has anyone else had problems with their throats after using monomer?
I kind of expected to get a lot of coughs and colds when I started this, due to the close contact with other people.

But....I havn't been doing anybody's nails..as I shut my own thumb in a door and couldn't even bear to hold a file for ages...

It seems like every time I do a little practising..I wake up with a sore throat the next day...is this down to the products??Maybe an allergy of some kind to my Retention+, or does anyone think I will get used to it??? Or is it just coincidence tht I seem to catch every throat infection going at the mo???

Please somebody tell me it has happened to you too.............

Hi Dawn
Maybe it could be the resin.................I have a problem with this and used to wake up feeling like I had a cold coming, and now that I am into fabric I use a mask and problem solved.

Just a thought
Take care Dawnie

Hi

I find certain activators and resins affect me. It took me a while to find those that didn't. I was also worried that if they affected me that much they might affect my clients. An air filter in my salon seemed to make very little difference.

There is no reason why monomer should affect your throat unless you were working in unbelievable concentrations of vapour. :(

Hopefully you are following all the manufacturers guidelines such as: correct ventilation,
covered containers,
a metal peddle bin for storage of waste,
not wiping your brush on your paper towel etc???

all these things minimise the amount of vapours.

I have this problem, but I don't think it is the monomer, I think it is dust?? Not exactly sure. I used to get symptoms for up to 48hours after doing nails - any type. I would sneeze, cough like a smoker, streaming nose, sore throat and slightly fluish feeling.

This is what helps me:

A proper mask, bought from a builders merchant marked "for toxic small particles". Change it reglarly and wear it from the moment you start work. I cannot work in a salon for this reason - I would never be able to take it off. Training courses are hell for me, I forgot my mask when I did my creative conversion and I was so ill afterwards I couldn't work for two days as there had been no extraction and the windows were closed with 5 of us creating dust!

Take a break. You need to have a break from nails until your symptoms go away and you histemine levels to calm down, then start with a mask and maybe some anithistemines. Be careful and they shouldn't come back.

Use an extractor.

Minimise dust. I even use a water spray into the air which "captures" particles and brings them down. Change your desk towel frequently. Use scissors not files to pretailor tips. Clip or cut tip to shape when on the client and just minimal file to finish. Sculp with your brush!! I ometimes apply oil before filing as it stops the dust from floating so much.

I may be oversensitive, but I also wash my hair after work as I think the dust gets in it and then would get into my nose while I sleep (it is very long)

I envy techs who can just carry on regardless, but my body is surely telling me that the dust / chemicals are not good for me and taking these precautions will be good for me in the long run too. I know how much this must bother you but you can keep it controlled.

ella said:
I have this problem, but I don't think it is the monomer, I think it is dust??

Spot on Ella. Sad the dust aggravates you so much. This is only a very small amount of people who's respiratory tracks are very sensitive to any type of dust particulates.
I think you made some very great points for dust inhalation prevention. People should look into proper extraction systems.

Good post.

for all the advice guys...especially Ella...
Got plenty of builder's masks...as my better half is a carpenter!!
Any ideas on a mobile extractor..gonna go look at the catalogues now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back