Just Gel vs Gelac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadeey

Reaction score
Hiya I use just gel by ibd I didn't pick it for any specific reason, my husband bought me a kit when I passed my course :) but what I was wondering is... What's the difference between just gel and gelac? Seeing
as they are both made by ibd? Is one better than the other?
If I wanted to try gelac would I have to buy a new base and top coat or could I use the just gel ones?
Any comments appreciated as I like just gel but there arnt many colours available and gelac se to have loads more but I can't really afford to buy a whole new top and base coat as I have just replaced these... :)

They are the same Hun,they changed the name to just gel and changed the packaging :)

Really? How did u find that out? Don't they make gelac any more? X

I have tried searching 'just gel' an nothing coming up.

Wondered how this new one is? Are your customers getting two weeks wear?

Last edited by a moderator:
They are not making gelac anymore as it had a problem with setting in the bottle ,! I have loads I need to use up ! Just gel is the new gelac , but gotta admit I do like gelac xx

To be honest I was abit disappointed. I got the starter kit and the range of colours in the starter kit were abit rubbish as they are all similar shades. I find some colours need more than two coats or it's very wishy washy. I personally don't get 2 weeks wear when I use it it just seems to peel off, but this might have something to do with my bad condition nails but my nans lasted a week and a half then one chipped

To be honest I wished I'd gone for harmony gelish as I've heard great things plus they have loads of colours where as just gel don't have that many xx

Hiya I use just gel by ibd I didn't pick it for any specific reason, my husband bought me a kit when I passed my course :) but what I was wondering is... What's the difference between just gel and gelac? Seeing
as they are both made by ibd? Is one better than the other?
If I wanted to try gelac would I have to buy a new base and top coat or could I use the just gel ones?
Any comments appreciated as I like just gel but there arnt many colours available and gelac se to have loads more but I can't really afford to buy a whole new top and base coat as I have just replaced these... :)

There were a lot of problems with Gelac. It was a hybrid in that it included solvents like regular nail polish. Those solvents often dried up and people were often stuck with totally dried up bottles of Gelac. It was discontinued last year, although you can still find it sold here or there. I personally had six bottles of Gelac go bad, although I still have two good bottles. IBD replaced Gelac with Just Gel which is, as per the name, pure gel. I wrote to IBD and they replaced all my Gelac with Just Gel. I like the colors and formulation a lot but I don't like the base and top coats, which I find hard to remove.

IBD Just Gel, EZ Flow TruGel and SuperNail ProGel are made by the same company and have the same colors.

I also agree that the base cot is hard to remove, maybe I just need to get used to using a gel polish opposed to a normal nail polish. Maybe I am not applying the layers thick enough?

To be honest I was abit disappointed. I got the starter kit and the range of colours in the starter kit were abit rubbish as they are all similar shades. I find some colours need more than two coats or it's very wishy washy. I personally don't get 2 weeks wear when I use it it just seems to peel off, but this might have something to do with my bad condition nails but my nans lasted a week and a half then one chipped

Start using Jessica GELeration. It lasts 3 weeks, really healthy for the nails and a massive wide variety of colours! X
R

I also agree that the base cot is hard to remove, maybe I just need to get used to using a gel polish opposed to a normal nail polish. Maybe I am not applying the layers thick enough?

if you're having problems with removal, the problem is much more likely to be applying it too thick. With all the gel polishes, you need to apply all the coats super thin.

I do apply really thin, hence why I find the colours quite wishy washy, often needing a few coats. But when it does stay on I do find my nails a lot stronger underneath.
I may try gelish to see if I like it any better because I suppose it's all down to the individual?

I've just gone to use my gelac and it too has dried up-not happy :( going to email them now,hope long did it take for them to replace it as I have people booked in

Latest posts

Back