just had to share this with you all...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xlaurax

Reaction score
i was phoning arround 2day looking for a mobile nail technician coz im dying 2 get my nails done but find it a bit difficult what with the baby etc.
i got hold of this lady who did acrylics, sounded good 2 start with, then i asked a few questions 2 try and determine if she was worthy of doing my nails..lol..
me.. "so what product do u use"
her.. "umm... im not really sure... i just get whatever i can, MIX AND MATCH usually.."
me.. "mix and match??!"
her.. "yeh, i tought myself 2 b honest and erm i use the things ive found i like"
me.. "so how did u learn exactly??"
her.. "i just had a fiddle with some things i found on ebay, AND A SET I GOT FROM ARGOS!!! and i guess i just pick things up easily, i do all my family and friends"

i couldnt believe my ears!!!! needless 2 say it was time for a sharp exit... and i am still no better off :cry: still in need of a good nail tech! boohoo 4 me.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: OH DEAR!!

You see what we're up against peeps!!! :grr:

omg,i cant believe she actually said that to you.:eek:
i did my cousins nails who lives in wales anyway she wanted to keep the on so went for infills at her local salon.she needed one or two replaced as she had broken them and she couldnt believe how they looked.she said they looked nothing like mine which i understand they they wouldnt look exactly like mine but she said the lady actually asked her where she had them done at as they were so nice,she also said that she didnt think she had,had them done there.
she now doesnt have them done as she wasnt happy with what she'd had done before.
shame for her but what a confidence boost that was to me.:green:

all i can say is wow

i really can't find any other words

Can you imagine what her work looks like? The type of stuff that gives "nail enhancements" a bad name :irked:

Good luck with your search for a decent tech laura

When I used to get my nails done I rang one salon once and asked what brand of product they use. The answer 'I don't know and I don't have time to go out the back and look.' Needless to say I didn't get my nails done there.

What a silly woman she obviously has no insurance thusly not protecting herself or the client, never mind the lack of training!:eek:

It does make you wonder, doesn't it.

If that was me, I would like to think that I've got enough brain cells that if a potential client were to ask me these questions, I would have answers ready.

Would I honestly admit to someone that I've had no training and that I buy my products of Ebay ?

I mean, being THAT honest can only be good for business ..... NOT !!!

On a serious note, I am shocked, but then again, I'm not really. There are so many "techs" out there that have had no training or very poor training, who buy their stuff from Ebay and Argos and then set up as qualified techs and start working on the public.

Just like NSS, these techs give the rest of us a bad name.

I do have to wonder if you it was a normal client who made that call and heard her say that, would they have booked with her ..... ?

Marlise

Oh dear .... here we go again!

i know what u mean! imagine if i was someone who haddent a clue who was just looking for a treat, they would be put off nail enhancements for the rest of their life! and they way she said... i can do any time, day or night, im never busy... brilliant selling point lady! duuhhh! xx

Laura can you do some kind of search on here and see which peeps on here are near you?That way you know you will be in safe and good hands!xx:hug:

i couldnt believe my ears!!!! needless 2 say it was time for a sharp exit... and i am still no better off :cry: still in need of a good nail tech! boohoo 4 me.[/quote]

thanks hun i didnt know that! ill go do that now! thanku xx :hug:

Well one thing in her favour at least she was completely honest with you and didn't claim something she wasnt.:irked:

true true, if she had told fibs and i had had her doing my nails u can only imagine what my thread would of been then!.... AND THEN SHE BROUGHT OUT HER RIOS!!!... lol xx

ow my lord :eek::eek:....just goes to show who is out there on the loose....i mean mix and match...what the hell ...well today matthew kelly...i am going to be a plumber........shame you dont live near me...i would have done your nails hun xx

true true, if she had told fibs and i had had her doing my nails u can only imagine what my thread would of been then!.... AND THEN SHE BROUGHT OUT HER RIOS!!!... lol xx

images in my head of what the expression on your face would have been.:lol:
You should have gone for the entertainment value to the rest of us.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

But really, this is getting quite ridiculous.
why can't the gov't stop argos and others from selling it to non-professionals? Don't they realize the danger they set people up for???

omg,i cant believe she actually said that to you.:eek:
i did my cousins nails who lives in wales anyway she wanted to keep the on so went for infills at her local salon.she needed one or two replaced as she had broken them and she couldnt believe how they looked.she said they looked nothing like mine which i understand they they wouldnt look exactly like mine but she said the lady actually asked her where she had them done at as they were so nice,she also said that she didnt think she had,had them done there.
she now doesnt have them done as she wasnt happy with what she'd had done before.
shame for her but what a confidence boost that was to me.:green:

A new client of mine used to live in wales and was trying to explain to me what type of nails she had had before, I didnt really understand what she meant. Anyway she had a set of pink and white gels done by me on the sat before christmas and went to wales for the holiday. She caught her thumb in the car door and snapped it off and went to a salon in wales and got it fixed.
When she came to me on Sat for her infils she told me what had happened and I couldnt believe my eyes. The salons version of enhancements is a complete full coverage stick on nail like you buy at the chemist or supemarket, they even had the cheek to charge her £5 for this one nail. She says that they dont know any better where she comes from.
How do salons get away with this?
Jen

I hear this all the time.

It goes a little something like this....

"Oh! You do nails, my friend does nails her mum taught her"

Me: Really, who did they train with?"

"They never trained, they taught themselves to save money, wonderful isn't it?

Me: "Yeah! Fanbloodytastic!!

Heard it sooooo many times, these are the ones that give us a bad name.

Teri x:hug:

now THERE's someone that needs reporting to trading standards!!! lol.

i was phoning arround 2day looking for a mobile nail technician coz im dying 2 get my nails done but find it a bit difficult what with the baby etc.
i got hold of this lady who did acrylics, sounded good 2 start with, then i asked a few questions 2 try and determine if she was worthy of doing my nails..lol..
me.. "so what product do u use"
her.. "umm... im not really sure... i just get whatever i can, MIX AND MATCH usually.."
me.. "mix and match??!"
her.. "yeh, i tought myself 2 b honest and erm i use the things ive found i like"
me.. "so how did u learn exactly??"
her.. "i just had a fiddle with some things i found on ebay, AND A SET I GOT FROM ARGOS!!! and i guess i just pick things up easily, i do all my family and friends"

i couldnt believe my ears!!!! needless 2 say it was time for a sharp exit... and i am still no better off :cry: still in need of a good nail tech! boohoo 4 me.

I'm not surprised in the slightest tbh. There's probably thousands of "techs" like this around who think this job is a doddle. They have no qualifications or insurance and don't care either.
They never EVER last and neither do their nails but they unfortunately learn this the hard way.
Maybe there's a geek near to you who could do your nails hun?

Latest posts

Back