Just lost my first clients to DIY

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really worry about people making themselves (friends and family) allergic to gel products, using these "kits" and cheap lamps off ebay. I don't think they realise the dangers of un-cured/improperly cured gel. As professionals we learn how to apply them, keeping the gel away from the skin, I'm sure these diy-ers won't be so careful. And once they are allergic we won't be able to fix that for them :(

If we warnthem of these dangers and of matrix epinycium damage then we can hopefully put them off

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

Clients have been able to buy their own nail polishes and hand creams for years but they still have manicures and pedicures so I consider this to be similar.

I think it's important to be able to offer treatments that can be much harder for clients to attempt to replicate at home such as massage and intimate waxing for example.

Yes, I agree. I think it is a mistake to get worked up about this. Gel polishes are bringing a lot of women back into nail care. That some of them are going to opt for DIY is to be expected; it is a different, but valuable experience. I think you will find that many of those you lose now will come back when they find out how hard (and how expensive) DIY really is.

That said, I still find it hard to be cool in the face of cheeky people who want to use your access to professional products, your products and your expertise for their DIY efforts. For crying out loud, it's called Do-It-Yourself!!

Last edited:
I have had a couple clients in the last month ask about gel polish kits. I think they think its gonna be easy.. Just wait.. Hopefully it fades.

Well by the time they leave them by the radiator, in the sunlight, don't shake the bottle, never mind application skills, and removal skills, hopefully they will be back!

Don't worry ladies .... we can all do our own hair, but we still go to hairdressers.

Most of these kits gives unsuccessful results or at least they are substandard in some way (not least because of the person applying lol)

And they have their "wrong" hand to do as well :lol:

They know nothing about prepping and doing no damage, they will continue to experiment and make hash ups and then we will be there in the wings with a sympathetic ear and a hug :eek: ready to show them how it's really done!

If clients are happy to do their own nails or have them done by someone for £5 then do you really want or need them as a client. Those sorts of clients will never be loyal and will disappear when a bargain pops up.
Our clients should come to us for our skill and professional application of this product, if they can't appreciate this then bye bye.

I had a lash client of mine telling me that her hubby had bought her a gel kit for Xmas, she currently had nss nails on and asked if I could remove them for her.

I went on to educate her about the damage there will be to her nails underneath, how her gel won't stick to poor nails. How u need to correctly apply the product for it to last etc.

I said she would be better to grow her nails out whilst wearing my enhancements and then transfer to her gel polish when her nails were healthy if she was determined to do them herself despite advising against it.

So she booked in but had to cancel as was sick. In the meantime a few week later having no rebooked she came to me for lashes, I looked down at her ugly badly applied gel polish that must have only been on a few days old and it was all chipped and looked hideous / all I could do was smile.

But if she's happy with ugly and unhealthy nails who am I to judge!!!!

Everybody can make a coffee but Starbucks seem to be doing well.

Just keep positive, they will be back.

If clients are happy to do their own nails or have them done by someone for £5 then do you really want or need them as a client. Those sorts of clients will never be loyal and will disappear when a bargain pops up.
Our clients should come to us for our skill and professional application of this product, if they can't appreciate this then bye bye.

I had a lash client of mine telling me that her hubby had bought her a gel kit for Xmas, she currently had nss nails on and asked if I could remove them for her.

I went on to educate her about the damage there will be to her nails underneath, how her gel won't stick to poor nails. How u need to correctly apply the product for it to last etc.

I said she would be better to grow her nails out whilst wearing my enhancements and then transfer to her gel polish when her nails were healthy if she was determined to do them herself despite advising against it.

So she booked in but had to cancel as was sick. In the meantime a few week later having no rebooked she came to me for lashes, I looked down at her ugly badly applied gel polish that must have only been on a few days old and it was all chipped and looked hideous / all I could do was smile.

But if she's happy with ugly and unhealthy nails who am I to judge!!!!

Everybody can make a coffee but Starbucks seem to be doing well.

Just keep positive, they will be back.

Exactly, great posts! xx

I do good nail art (I think), and i can't see a client trying to do nail art on the non-dominant hand lol! Even i struggle :D

It's very frustrating I know, i had 2 clients that have set up shellac after me showing them how to do it as they were doing some work for me. Both got Certs and insurance so I can't even moan they don't do it correctly!

Only advise on these crappy kits is tell people they are crappy and the negatives then upload every single set of nails u do on Facebook describing different colours, to u it's just another wildfire or hot rod red but when people see how many colours/effects u have they will hopefully come to u instead of people with limited shades.

I plan to take my eon advice lol cxxxxx

One of my regulars bought herself a gel nail kit from boots just before Xmas. She came to me for her regular gelish but had some of her home gel still on her nails, it had 'fallen off' 5 nails, the rest I removed - oh my word it was like cement on her nails! Awful to remove and her nails underneath were wrecked, so dry and weak. She says she'll still come to me now and again but to save a bit of money she'll do them at home in between. I dread to think what her nails will be like when I see her again! Xx

Clients have been able to buy their own nail polishes and hand creams for years but they still have manicures and pedicures so I consider this to be similar.

I think it's important to be able to offer treatments that can be much harder for clients to attempt to replicate at home such as massage and intimate waxing for example.

Yup, just let them try to do their own Hollywood or do their own back massage.

I got a real kick in the teeth. My friend/client/model for my Brisa Lite training bought herself a gel kit from Boots and then advertised over FB that everyone should get one and how easy it was. She came along to my one to one training as well so she really got some good training while she was "my client" That sucked.

I got a real kick in the teeth. My friend/client/model for my Brisa Lite training bought herself a gel kit from Boots and then advertised over FB that everyone should get one and how easy it was. She came along to my one to one training as well so she really got some good training while she was "my client" That sucked.

This one tops the chart for ****tiest behaviour. Honestly!!

If one if my friends did that I would disown them! Xx

Can't believe it...but as I was reading through this thread just now I have had a text from a friend saying she won't need her pedi appt as she was bought a sensationail kit for Xmas and she can't wait to try it on her toes!!! 😔😔😔

Lol I know right. I have to just laugh at it. Really there is nothing I can do about it so there is no point in waisting my time over it. That and she works with my husband so............

Guess who is coming back to me on Monday to have her nails done. "My nails are destroyed from doing them myself. I can't wait to have nice nails again" lol paid off being friendly and polite.

You're forgetting the crucial differences between DIYers and professional technicians.

We are trained to apply polish beautifully; I am yet to see a DIY job that has been completed as well as a pro tech.

We train, and hopefully keep our learning current and up to date so as to minimise damage. Our nails are better than theirs.

To change all of your clients over to a system that they may not need is short sighted. Sell the differences, make yourself known as the professional and they will come. And if they DO think they can do better... let them! Open their space for a client who will appreciate your work.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Can't believe it...but as I was reading through this thread just now I have had a text from a friend saying she won't need her pedi appt as she was bought a sensationail kit for Xmas and she can't wait to try it on her toes!!! 😔😔😔

Hahaha, bet she'll be back as soon as she realises how horrible it is trying to fold yourself in half to do your toenails properly!

Sent from my HTC Desire X using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back