Just started creative nail course - a bit disheartened with myself!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VickyD78

Reaction score
HI

I've just done my first 3 days on a creative nail course and just feel out of my depth. I just feel that I will never get it - did anyone else feel like this?

Not done any nail training yet, but when I did my massage training I was totally like that!! Keep with it, practice, practice, practice, listen and learn and you'll be amazing.

Most of us felt like this when we first started....it looks so easy when your technician is doing your nails.....but when you're the technician it's another ball game......keep plugging away....you'll get there and be fabulous!

Chin up! When i did mine i was like i cant do this, i just cant do this! that was in my hotel room when i was doing homework! My smiles were all over the place, you have only done three days so dont worry. It looks easier than it is! You will get better , and look back in a few months and it will be much easier, hang in there we all have to start somewhere!:hug:

Yep that was me, my advise would be get practising asap your get there and you always have your support system here :hug:

xxxxx

Hi,

YES YES YES! When i first started my course (not creative) i wanted to cry and thought what the hell have i got myself into.
Before i started i thought god nails cant be that hard, ive done mine, as in polish etc. Then it started and i thought oh my god this is hard. A hell of a lot of information, a lot of techniques, etc etc. The first set i done looked like i sneezed acrylic on a broken tip! Im not exagerating.
But i thought , No im not gonna let it beat me, so i sat back down and continued and you know what it started to click into place and it got better and better, Theres nothing better than seein your work improve. Stick with it it gets better. Dont get me wrong i still have bad days, i had two recently, but its starting to get better again.

Good luck with the course, xxx

Just remember, every nail tech in the world started like you, by doing a course and finding everything a bit bewildering . . . . I read that early on in my career and it really helped to think that, no matter how high up the nail ladder they now are, everyone began by not knowing a thing about it . . . . hth

Pretty much most of us felt like that to start with.
I had never had my nails done or been into a nail salon before i did my training so was a complete nail virgin lol and found it really hard to pick everything up,
i realised i was getting alright at it when i stopped swearing while practicing on the trainer hand, and believe me the hand is lucky that it was held to the table with a vice or that would have gone flying across the room many a time,
it does get easier, i have my own salon now and never ever swear when doing a set now :hug:

awwwww Vicky... I know how you feel...:hug:

I was completely, utterly exhausted by day 2 !!! I was nervous, excited, tired, scared, happy...everything under the sun...and on top of that I was being taught by the one and only Gigi !!!!

Don't be disheartened...be excited that you are starting out in something fantastic... you are more than likely just tired...it is a lot to take on board at once...so don't forget to rest :zzz:

Good luck....everything will be just great you will see xxxxxx

You are on a foundation course....and thats what it is a "foundation" to build on:hug:

Dont despair...if like me you are impatient,but eager to learn,you wont go wrong:)

Just remember we all started from somewhere....if you are commited,in a few years time you just may well look back at this as experience.

Discuss this with your educator,take on board all you can...and practise all you can:!:

I'm only finished my foundation course with Creative a few months and completely 'get' where you're coming from.

The first three days are a killer because you have the 'Jedi Masters of Nails' demonstrating picking up beads, smile lines, zone sculpting and feeding your head full of theory that you think - oh god, I'll never get this.

But really, it does get easier.

I found it difficult remembering to refer to the humble nail file as an abrasive and nail glue as adhesive but once you start using the jargon and start doing nails, it gets easier and easier and you pick up your own ways of achieving everything you've been taught.

And a tip for you that I found/find helps me - if you haven't the nails on fingers to practise on i.e - people, don't just wait until you've got someone, use tips to practise your smile lines etc - and don't ignore the theory side of things - it's very easy to think that theory is just a required part of your exam - but the amount of questions that clients ask when you're actually working is unreal so it sets you up well, if your theory is as meticulously practised as your practical.

Best of Luck!

Ann-Marie
x-x-x

I trained with creative. At the end of day one we all had one hand covered in acrylic (and I mean the hand was covered) as a result of the person who we had paired up with doing their very first "set". I got home that night and my husband laughed and asked if mine were as crap!! I literally had 1cm thick acrylic on each nail, with acrylic hanging over the edge of each badly fitted tip. Were were all just as bad, and no wonder day 2 took so long to finish that one hand, filing those babies in really did take all day!!!
Our smile lines were.. wel, grimace lines, product touching the skin, no apex, thick product in zone 1 but hardly any in zone 3 so we had kind of triangular nails. Oh I could go on, but you've been there, you already know!!

keep practising, and ask your tutor to help you if you are struggling.

I am only a very few months out of my CND foundation course and I felt exactly the same. I knew it wasn't going to be a walk in the park, but I didn't realise exactly 'How' damn hard it was going to be. I couldn't believe how long everything took and why on earth the acrylic was so monstrously difficult to move around. Oh and don't get me started on the painfully labourious and difficult art of blending a tip. My first nails looked like I was trying to ice a Christmas cake from at least 300 paces away. :irked: I might as well have just stood at the classroom door and thrown the l&p in the general direction of that pastic demon, but he's stuck by me and vice versa.

I was amazed when one or two of the others on my course came back on day four and said they'd actually been practising on 'Real' hands, because nothing but nothing was going to prize me off my plastic one. I thought I'd failed the course and so I was amazed when I was told I'd passed and this really fired me up to get down to business and practise as much as I could.

I am getting to grips with sculpting now and I've just had my first 121 with my teacher. Slowly but surely, I'm making progress and have only just reached the stage where I would dare to do a set of nails without her on hand to rescue my 'Victim' from my mistakes and make them wearable. I'm still very much a newbie and have so much to learn, but someone is actually walking around with 'My' nail enhancements on their hands, they're not embarraseed by them and it's a really good feeling. :)

Try not to get discouraged and just practise as much as you can. Go at your own pace and don't worry if anyone else appears to be taking bigger strides than you earlier on. Your 'Baby' steps will gradually gather speed and 'Wearability.' :hug:

I did a 10 week course with Ezflow initally and I can remeber actually going home and crying to my hubby cos I didnt think i would ever get the hang of it! (How sad am I?!):cry:

Anyway, I stuck at it and I got it, it kinda happened all of a sudden, it just fell into place and I havnt looked back since.:hug: Stay with it, have some extra training if you feel you need to, and give it chance....it takes a long time to become a fantastic nail tech.:)

And a tip for you that I found/find helps me - if you haven't the nails on fingers to practise on i.e - people, don't just wait until you've got someone, use tips to practise your smile lines etc - and don't ignore the theory side of things - it's very easy to think that theory is just a required part of your exam - but the amount of questions that clients ask when you're actually working is unreal so it sets you up well, if your theory is as meticulously practised as your practical.

This is such good advice from mrsab. Take it.

I agree,the theory is so important,make your text book your bed time reading for a while,i still do,Gigi sleeps on my bedside table every night lol :D

I agree,the theory is so important,make your text book your bed time reading for a while,i still do,Gigi sleeps on my bedside table every night lol :D
I agree, theory is V important!!!! You must know your stuff!

Dont worry about thinking your nails are pants! I cant believe thinking back how bad my nails were to begin with! We all sat there watching Andrea do a demo nail, saying 'Oh god doesnt that look easy!' how wrong we all were! lol!!
Practice aswell! I bought cheap tips from ebay to practice smiles and application, it has done me a world of good!

xxxxx:hug:

Thanks everyone for your replys. I will practice, practice, practice. I'm sure I'll get there one day and look back on this and laugh xx

HI

I've just done my first 3 days on a creative nail course and just feel out of my depth. I just feel that I will never get it - did anyone else feel like this?

Hi Vicky,

I have just completed my masters and I still get those days where I drive myself to distraction due to my perfectionist streak. Thing is, it is really quite good that you feel like this - because it means you want to be good at it. Therefore, you must keep at it. Nobody (that I know anyway) that has never touched a piano before in their lives, plays it like a concert pianist the first time. It takes (cliche coming up) time and practice; lots of it. To be honest I was really disappointed when I started doing nails - I thought I would be really good at it because I had an 'A' at A-Level in Art, a BA (hons) degree in English and I tend to learn well....gosh, no! I found it took time and practice. Just do as many as you can (my nail trainer came in very handy although obviousy it is different to real people) a nail trainer is invaluable for practicing your application skills. I needed mine, anyway. If you are the type who likes to practice constantly until you perfect that skill instead of getting despondant and throwing the towel in, I would recommend one. You'll get there honey - we never stop learning, not one of us. I disbelieve there are people out there that know it all. Some are just more experienced than others.

Happy practicing, good luck and message me if I can help you further.

hi

yes i've only just finished the same course and each set i do are getting a bit better so keep on in there and make sure u do at least 20 sets of nails to get speed up and see a huge improvement !!! best of luck :lol:

Latest posts

Back