SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaunaBeauty

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m a newly qualified Beauty Therapist ( Level 2 and 3 ) and I’m hoping to start my business!
I have no clue how to start out!
What I already know is what treatments i’ll Be doing. However what I’m stuck on is 1. Business Name 2. How to advertise and build a clientele ( I have worked in a salon and I decided that a salon is not for me, so I’d prefer to build up a clientele a different way) 3. And when it comes to visual advertising such as Facebook/Instagram etc what apps do you use for pictures/videos/ introduction to the business.
- For a business name I want it to be remembered. I did think about having my name incorporated as Shauna isn’t very popular where I live or having 'Doll' incorporated. My parents have always called me doll, so that has some meaning.
I’m just starting out in salon geek and this is my first post.
I appreciate all replies:)

Last edited:
I'd also recommend that you look into insurance, especially before taking in clients. As for the name - try to come up with something that uses your name or initials. The name should also go hand in hand with your business style. If you're planning on providing a luxury experience, go with something more formal. Building clientele can be difficult - you need to keep in mind that it takes time. Start with the locals. Go to local cafes and restaurants and invite the staff to your opening, in return, ask if you can leave some of your business cards in the business. If everything is going well, chances are they'll recommend your business to their clients. Your next step should be focused on growing your business on social media. Create promoted posts and Facebook/Instagram ads in order to reach more people in your area. It wouldn't hurt to post awesome content as well, like a before & after post. It's also a good idea to experiment a bit. Perhaps consider hosting an event, or competition. Your last step should be considering a loyalty and referral program. I'd recommend this as a last step because you need to have a substantial following before this. Using these programs allows you to reward clients for their purchases, as well as referring friends and family. Hope that helps!

I think Shauna is a great name, as you say, it's unusual so it will be remembered. I chose to use my first name followed by the initial of my surname (as its foreign sounding and didn't want to stand out for that reason) but it's also a "B" so could be mistaken for beauty. I think if people ask who does their nails, it's easier to remember a first name than a popular "the nail room" type of salon. Ive built my business on personal recommendation so "recommend a friend" cards are always a good idea.
Perhaps choose a couple of local businesses and hand them a free manicure voucher. This lets them get to know you and will pass on your details if anyone asks. Bridal shops are good for this, and jewellers. It wont cost much either.

Latest posts

Back