Just starting up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSLoveNails

Reaction score
Hi guys, apologies for basic questions here but any help appreciated!

I have done the full manicure course and CND Shellac course. I work in an admin role so this has started as a hobby but now looking to do mobile work. I'm struggling because I've been asked if i can do extensions and also things like opaque style and quite frankly after looking online I'm still none the wiser. Are there courses for these and should I consider Acrylic courses?
One lady who wants me to do her nails currently has CND shellac but clearly has some enhancement on first (which she claims is painted on from a pot) and she looks like she has extensions. Would this be Brisa Lite of some sort?
My mom struggles to keep her Shellac on. Some times it completely pops off a few nails and other times she they lift from the side but no-one else I do Shellac for has this problem.

Thanks for your time. I want to ensure I understand before doing anything different so joined to get some expertise.

Your qualifications aren't familiar so assume you aren't local to me. Would highly recommend getting best qualifications you can from the start. I did courses in gel and acrylic nails but recently started to expand my knowledge and discovered that there are international qualifications out there, ITEC, which are the best and recognised in all countries. I am currently redoing everything and learning so much more than was in the original classes. This will also make my insurance cheaper, an important consideration. Online courses won't help, and frankly I found YouTube only semi useful. As for courses, I have done gel, acrylic and acrylic dip but will be covering fibreglass next. I won't do shellac as I've seen first hand the damage it can do to nails, much better use true dip. As for clients, try advertising in Craigslist or your local equivalent. Say you are a student, charge enough to cover gas and materials plus a small profit and state the area you are willing to cover very clearly. I have just done this to get case studies for college (for my ITEC qualifications) and I spent last week doing over 20 sets, manicures and pedicures included, and have gained at least 7 new clients (who have already made follow up appointments for in-fills etc). I also have a couple of birthday parties, an appointment for a first communion next year and 2 'girls nights in', all through a Facebook page for my fledgling business advertised on the local Craigslist equivalent. Best of all, if I have a problem I can email my instructor for help and this extends past the end of the course to get us all started. Remember, there is a lit of competition and much of that is supplied by modern slaves (nail bars and salons are the front line of modern slavery and getting proper qualifications helps to fight against the unfair and dangerous practices of these establishments) so you can easily find yourself fixing up someone else's mistakes, and if/when it all goes badly wrong it is likely to be your insurance that's being claimed against. Sorry to be so negative but there was a big article in this mornings paper about modern slavery and nail salons etc. Very worrying and it is the innocent one like you, me, etc., who gets caught in the middle.

It sounds like she has gel extensions which you would have to do a course for. Shellac isn’t suitable for everyone which is why my workplace stocks gelish as well, some people cannot keep shellac on no matter what you do!

Latest posts

Back