Just trained in eyelash extensions and feeling disheartened

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura Morgan

Reaction score
Hi I’m new here! I trained today in eyelash extensions with my eyelash technician she’s been training for 10 years and is brilliant. However my model was my mum and I ended up in tears at the end of the day.

Her eyelashes were so fine and straight and tiny! We only had D curl and I struggled so much with them. My trainer said I couldn’t of had a harder set of eyelashes but I feel so disheartened. I’ve been given 4 case studies to complete.

This took me 2 hours and I know I have hardly any eyelashes on but I physically couldn’t isolate them! I knew it was going to be hard but didn’t expect this hard. I’ve ordered some C curls in 0.15 and various sizes. Also slanted tweezers to see if any easier. How do people deal with this?!
View media item 64917

Hi love, please don’t beat yourself up!!!!! This is completely normal. It’s your first day! And especially with your mom having such hard lashes to do and using D-curls, that’s just a recipe for disappointment. The C-curls will definitely be easier.
You will get better. It just takes practice and I, along with any other lash artist can tell you that. Practice on at least 5 more people before jumping to conclusions and being discouraged... I promise you will get the hang of it. I recommend using a makeup sponge and just practice the pick-up and placement of lashes all around the sponge until you get your speed up. Also practice with strip lashes. I know it’s so easy to want to give up, but we have ALL been there!!! It’s a skill, and it takes time.
We are always improving and you can only do the best you can. Hope this helps!

As Alexa said dont be too hard on yourself! Eye lash extensions are hard to master and it does take a lot of patience and perseverence! Most of us have been at a point where we were ready to throw the tweezers away so you are not alone. Take a deep breath and try again or sometimes it can help to practice a bit on a mannequin head before trying a model again but you will get there!
Just think that once you can manage this you will be proud to call yourself a lash technician as you know how much hard work it was!

Thank you both, I knew it would be hard but goodness I wanted to scream. I’m going to practise on a sponge today and I’m practising in boyfriend tomorrow haha. Thank you for the replies!

Yes it is but you will find that it all clicks into place at some point!
What is it you are struggling with the most? is it the isolation of lashes or picking up tweezers?

Yes it is but you will find that it all clicks into place at some point!
What is it you are struggling with the most? is it the isolation of lashes or picking up tweezers?

Both I wasn’t too bad isolating on the false lashes but I’m struggling with the tweezers and placing the eyelash on. My hand seems to loose control as I place it, I usually have a really steady hand so not sure if it was nerves but I kept loosing control.

Both I wasn’t too bad isolating on the false lashes but I’m struggling with the tweezers and placing the eyelash on. My hand seems to loose control as I place it, I usually have a really steady hand so not sure if it was nerves but I kept loosing control.

Try resting your hand on your clients forehead, that might help a bit? Also experiment a bit with tweezers, some people prefer to use straight tweezers for isolating but i always found angled ones better. Most use the tweezers with the tip pointing down but i used it with the tip upwards so there is no fixed rules and its just a case of trying to find out what works best for you. Sometimes even just moving your hand higher up or down on the tweezer or using a different finger (for example thumb and middlefinger instead of index finger) can make a huge difference.

Try resting your hand on your clients forehead, that might help a bit? Also experiment a bit with tweezers, some people prefer to use straight tweezers for isolating but i always found angled ones better. Most use the tweezers with the tip pointing down but i used it with the tip upwards so there is no fixed rules and its just a case of trying to find out what works best for you. Sometimes even just moving your hand higher up or down on the tweezer or using a different finger (for example thumb and middlefinger instead of index finger) can make a huge difference.

I’ve ordered a pair of angled tweezers hoping they’ll help me. Also the lashes were really heavy 0.25 which didn’t help anything. Yeah I need to try varying my hand placement I think I was just in such a panic. Hoping tomorrow’s attempt is a bit better.

You would be better using lighter lashes as not many clients can carry the weight of a 0.25 lash. Try going with 0.15 or 0.18 if you can also maybe use a B or C curl and you might find it easier but dont be disheartend as it will get better over time and if you are struggling maybe give your trainer a call to get some extra time? x

You would be better using lighter lashes as not many clients can carry the weight of a 0.25 lash. Try going with 0.15 or 0.18 if you can also maybe use a B or C curl and you might find it easier but dont be disheartend as it will get better over time and if you are struggling maybe give your trainer a call to get some extra time? x

Yeah I ordered 0.15 C but going to get some B’s too. She’s in Essex at moment on a course herself but she said I can come in and watch and message her over anything. She let me swap onto another model who had long eyelashes for a while and found that a bit better. Thank you for all your replies you’ve made me feel much better! Xx

Yeah I ordered 0.15 C but going to get some B’s too. She’s in Essex at moment on a course herself but she said I can come in and watch and message her over anything. She let me swap onto another model who had long eyelashes for a while and found that a bit better. Thank you for all your replies you’ve made me feel much better! Xx
aw I am sure you will be fine with a bit more practice, we have all thrown our tweezers in the corner at some point and I think its those who persevere that become the better lash techs! Dont give up xx

aw I am sure you will be fine with a bit more practice, we have all thrown our tweezers in the corner at some point and I think its those who persevere that become the better lash techs! Dont give up xx

Haha I’ve invested too much money and hope to give up! Determined either way! Xx

Just done my first case study on my boyfriend took 3 hours and finally started to pick up a little technique and something clicked abit better on the second hour. They are far from perfect but I’m pleased considering how I felt yesterday! I know I’ve mossed a lot and some are going different directions as I said only got the hang in last hour but back is killing!
6F94FB4C-4C36-47F1-B578-A5C6981C817E.png
59FDB928-502B-42E1-BD17-51CCE68D7220.png
B1D1A649-75B4-464C-AEBF-2D723D3517B1.png

I did an eyelash extension course last week, i was really struggling with isolation, i ended up using 2 pairs of straight tweezers which i find easier, asked my husband to be my model to practise on at home but for once he drew the line (he has modelled for facials/ body wraps etc before) so i bought a training head and strip lashes which arrived on fri, used it for the first time yesterday , i also was struggling with seeing the lashes to isolate so i bought a lamp to put over the bed and also bought a magnifier to attach onto glasses,what a difference these make, definitely invest in some, makes it so much easier had a go yesterday and although it wasn’t perfect ii did 2 sets, back was killing me afterwards but I definitely feel more confident but need to keep practising until i feel i can work on actual people, one of my friends wants them done so i will get her booked in hopefully in the next week

I did an eyelash extension course last week, i was really struggling with isolation, i ended up using 2 pairs of straight tweezers which i find easier, asked my husband to be my model to practise on at home but for once he drew the line (he has modelled for facials/ body wraps etc before) so i bought a training head and strip lashes which arrived on fri, used it for the first time yesterday , i also was struggling with seeing the lashes to isolate so i bought a lamp to put over the bed and also bought a magnifier to attach onto glasses,what a difference these make, definitely invest in some, makes it so much easier had a go yesterday and although it wasn’t perfect ii did 2 sets, back was killing me afterwards but I definitely feel more confident but need to keep practising until i feel i can work on actual people, one of my friends wants them done so i will get her booked in hopefully in the next week

Hey thanks for the reply. I’ve had a few attempts since training and getting better wit each one and have someone over later so I’ll let you know how it goes. I’ve found straight to isolate and slightly curved to pick up with! I have a light which helps a lot. Keep practising on the false lashes as they’re harder but will help with isolating!
Hope everything goes well with your friend and good luck!

Just done my first case study on my boyfriend took 3 hours and finally started to pick up a little technique and something clicked abit better on the second hour. They are far from perfect but I’m pleased considering how I felt yesterday! I know I’ve mossed a lot and some are going different directions as I said only got the hang in last hour but back is killing!View attachment 207122 View attachment 207123 View attachment 207124
Just done my first case study on my boyfriend took 3 hours and finally started to pick up a little technique and something clicked abit better on the second hour. They are far from perfect but I’m pleased considering how I felt yesterday! I know I’ve mossed a lot and some are going different directions as I said only got the hang in last hour but back is killing!View attachment 207122 View attachment 207123 View attachment 207124

Hi I am a newly qualified lash technician and I am struggling sooo much with isolation and sometimes what lashes to use. The practice run on your boyfriend looks really good to me. What lashes did you use?

Hi I am a newly qualified lash technician and I am struggling sooo much with isolation and sometimes what lashes to use. The practice run on your boyfriend looks really good to me. What lashes did you use?

Hey I feel your pain, I’m finally getting more confident and have passed all case studies! I promise the more you practise the better you’ll feel. I use blink lashes in C curl 0.15 weight, look a lot more natural!

Latest posts

Back