Just want to confirm I am not mad!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titterbug

Reaction score
So a friend sent me a message wanting her nails done....she normally goes to a discount salon. she wants gel Infills...they use the White powder gel!?......I am mad ...hmmmmmm that would be acrylic then!? I am wrong or right?

[substituted ethnic reference]

I knew someone who went to a salon and swore her nails were gel and healthy for her nails, but it was that gel where they use the powder....took me forever to convince her it was acrylic and not gel!x

I knew someone who went to a salon and swore her nails were gel and healthy for her nails, but it was that gel where they use the powder....took me forever to convince her it was acrylic and not gel!x
I will ask her tomorrow if she put her hand in a light or not!!! And I will show her the Powder and ask if they use a liquid with it.... Glad it's not just me then....I said I think they at acrylic....and I did say I do them too but she said she didn't want acrylic cus they are bad for your nails [emoji30] .....I hope I don't shock her too much tomorrow [emoji13] x

Sounds like it could be SNS nail dipping powder? Check out snsnails.com...they seem to do something called GELous soak off colour powder, so guess that people think it is gel, but it is more like acrylic? I know an nss near me uses this system, and I know someone who's had it done and she swears by it! (Says it lasts 8 weeks...!)

I've heard of some people pouring acrylic powder onto gel before setting curing it :/

Omg......what the hell....well I will know more tomorrow...I have this feeling it's going to be a long one.....she did send pics of her nails....arrrrh [emoji43] told her I would have to take it all of and start a fresh...fingers crossed I get a new customer out of it[emoji120] x

I've heard of some people pouring acrylic powder onto gel before setting curing it :/
I've heard of that? Acrygel add strength to a gel polish

Yes our local discount salon call acrylic gel and charge more for it. I wonder what people get if they ask for acrylic then?

No wonder customers are confused

Makes me laugh how many people call it my "purple water" lol

Yes our local discount salon call acrylic gel and charge more for it. I wonder what people get if they ask for acrylic then?

Lol....I can't wait for that then[emoji13] x

I knew I'd read the answer to this on here.....but I'm sorry I'm rubbish with technicalities....could someone help please ?
There is a thread entitled 'correct me if I'm wrong - powdered gel' started by Soniamarie....if someone could very kindly link it here I think it would be useful.....Trin help !!!!

I've found what I was after, a large and very informative article within the above mentioned post by Anna Lee which might help you Titterbug [emoji4]

It will be tip and dip which is trending up again in discount salons. the technique has been around for decades and is pretty much like doing a fiberglass/silk wrap application, but instead of using a fabric, you dip the adhesive coated finger in a pot of polymer powder or pour it over the nail.

Pros: Super simple and fast. Adheres well.
Cons: Doesn't last brilliantly and is a pain to remove.

I have always found that removing anything from a discount salon.....is a nightmare and always takes me at least an hour if not more.....may the force be with me today[emoji6][emoji106] x

Last edited:
I've found what I was after, a large and very informative article within the above mentioned post by Anna Lee which might help you Titterbug [emoji4]
I found it and had s good read....and I have to confirm Iam not MAD!!!! Lol whoop whoop.....Thankyou x

Never doubted your sanity for a moment ....and with a fab username that always makes me chuckle when I see it I like your humour too [emoji4]

Let us know how you get on with your client! :)

I find it hard to convince customers that gel is a type of consistancy and so the powder cannot be gel, it's false advertising.
You wouldn't call hair powder, hair gel but it reminded me when I saw this Doug schoons post

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1459676400.121634.jpg

The purple water made me chuckle [emoji4] x

So all done....took the acrylic overlays off.....(yep it was ACRYLIC) she was mad that she had been told it was gel....it took a hour and a half to get them off ....I am thinking it was really bad stuff they used....her nails where in a bit of a mess this is over a 1 yr of having them.....but on the up side they were quite strong not paper thin....when we was at school together she always had beautiful natural nails...so on that basis we opted for a course of ibx ....file the nails back and just a gel polish ....as she has lovely long nail beds...and she wants to get her own nails back to good condition......so that's what I did....I am looking forward to when her nails look healthy again...[emoji140][emoji4]
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1459699529.705677.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1459699550.818367.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1459699572.884883.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1459699589.685429.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1459699612.718855.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1459699639.371031.jpg
i don't know why she ever had Extensions she has beautiful nails short or long with a long nail bed....so jealous!!![emoji140][emoji140][emoji140] Thankyou for everyone's input xx

Latest posts

Back