Just want to cry! Underpaid

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhair

Reaction score
Stupid me has been in a self employed position for years but money goes through the salon and I get paid monthly. I dhoulda spoke up sooner but I'm too nice n honestly scared of the manager.
I've quit and leaving soon.
I've checked my invoices on the salon app ingoing out goings for researc for my own set up.
Shes been charging me dome months over double I just want to cry messaged her saying I think the last month pay doesn't reflect what I did she told me she doubles checks so doesnt think so but will check later i then told her im gonna send the invoices to my business coach at the job centre to see if it makes sense.
Since I've checked a few more months and it's the same.
In the last hour or so she's now blocked me from seeing invoices on the platform.
Where do I stand? I'm a right mug. She's so mean and being telling client behind my back I'm goin nowhere in life and she's quite intimidating so I'm just stuck 😭

Hi if she’s blocked you it either a sign of guilt or she doesn’t want to you to access client records before you leave .
Do you have any of your client diary? Do you have a contract? Or is it verbal agreement? How long have you worked there with this agreement?
I had the same with a salon I worked with only helping out over a Xmas period. I knew exactly what I’d taken apart from retail sales so I emailed her what I expected and asked why the totals differed and asked her to explain how she got to those figures. I gave her 7 days to respond or I would take her to small claims and tell the rest of staff. She paid an increased amount which I was happy with. It doesn’t cost much to go to court but you will need evidence to support your claim. If you have a diary then great and she should have to provide those salon system printouts as evidence in court of what you have done.
How long have you worked there? Do you think she’s been doing it for a long while?
Do you work your own flexible hours? Or do you have to work what the other employed staff work?

Hi if she’s blocked you it either a sign of guilt or she doesn’t want to you to access client records before you leave .
Do you have any of your client diary? Do you have a contract? Or is it verbal agreement? How long have you worked there with this agreement?
I had the same with a salon I worked with only helping out over a Xmas period. I knew exactly what I’d taken apart from retail sales so I emailed her what I expected and asked why the totals differed and asked her to explain how she got to those figures. I gave her 7 days to respond or I would take her to small claims and tell the rest of staff. She paid an increased amount which I was happy with. It doesn’t cost much to go to court but you will need evidence to support your claim. If you have a diary then great and she should have to provide those salon system printouts as evidence in court of what you have done.
How long have you worked there? Do you think she’s been doing it for a long while?
Do you work your own flexible hours? Or do you have to work what the other employed staff work?
I used to have to work her hours until I put my foot down after lockdown.
It was a written contract but I didn't have a copy I feel so stupid and naive!!!!
Shes sent me invoices turns out she's charged my rent and a percentage. Tbh my rent was low so I was expecting it to be higher sooner I thought it was strange it hadn't instead she's just done it behind my back. I feel like I've been a moron not knowing she's upped my rent/ percentage whatever.
I don't even know where I stand. She hasn't spoke to me since so I do think she knows what she's done is wrong.
The only evidence I have is invoices from 2020 with old rent on. She since told me she didn't see the need to and because we was close I just trusted her. I feel like I never wanna work as a team again

I’ve learnt the hard way too -everyone leaves themselves wide open your not the only one. We are hairdressers not accountants! 😄 but always have everything written down. Doesn’t matter who they are friends or family.

She can’t just change your terms without notifying you and giving you notice of the change. You can demand for the back pay. She’s got no change of contract that you’ve agreed to.

Also as she has been telling you what hours you must work it’s now classed as being employed. There are other factors involved too - who’s clients are you doing? If she’s now saying you can’t access your client list then that would point to being employed too. If you are self employed they’re your clients & your diary. HMRC had a big clamp down on self employment to stop employers getting away with low pay and not paying pension ni and holiday pay. Ring Acas and speak to them if you want it take it further.

Has she always charged rent and a percentage? It was always one or the other when I had self employed not both! Is that how it’s done now?

Going forward - keep notes every day. As self employed stylist it’s easy to concentrate on your client list and go home leaving the accounts to the salon owner. But really you should be tallying up at the end of every working day, check figures on their salon system are matching, put forward your invoice to the salon owner every week so you are billing them and it’s all in writing.
Hope you get things sorted.

Go on the government website under types of employment as it sounds your would not be classed as self employed but more like a 'worker' and then you would have more rights. You could use this as a tool to get her to listen to you. I would write to her firstly asking for what you require to from her such as contract and past payments explained. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back