Karen Barber colour advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solohair

Reaction score
I have a client who is a base 6 with about 4 inches of grown out highlights and she should like her hair like Karen Barber. I would be interested on any thoughts as to what colours you think are used here and what you would use to achieve this. I use mainly Wella. I have a few different ideas but would love to see if anyone has any different thoughts on this. I hate it when people bring in pictures!!

Attachments

• Karen Barber.jpg
    Karen Barber.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 15,637
Bleach and probably a base 7 or 8? 2 blondes to 1 natural. Looks darker underneath too? What were u thinking? X

Yes i think it looks darker underneath too. I did a test cutting with 10/38 and 9% which lifted it to about an 8. My thoughts were to do a t section of highlights and then flood with the 10/38 and then maybe do the very back underneath with a 7/7 or 6/7. Am worried her 4 inches of regrowth will still have a band on the flooded bits as with being mixed with 9% the colour wont cover the old highlights. Do you think the new highlights will be enough to get rid of the band or should i do the regrowth of her natural colour with the 10/38 and 9% and then apply a different mix of 10/38 and 6% to cover the mid lengths and ends that have the old highlights on or maybe even 8/38 as not sure the 10/38 will cover the highlights and match the roots. Hope this makes sense!

If you do 10/38 around foils why not color the ends aswell? With maybe 8/3?

Yes i think that might be the best option so I dont get banding. Thanks

Yes i think it looks darker underneath too. I did a test cutting with 10/38 and 9% which lifted it to about an 8. My thoughts were to do a t section of highlights and then flood with the 10/38 and then maybe do the very back underneath with a 7/7 or 6/7. Am worried her 4 inches of regrowth will still have a band on the flooded bits as with being mixed with 9% the colour wont cover the old highlights. Do you think the new highlights will be enough to get rid of the band or should i do the regrowth of her natural colour with the 10/38 and 9% and then apply a different mix of 10/38 and 6% to cover the mid lengths and ends that have the old highlights on or maybe even 8/38 as not sure the 10/38 will cover the highlights and match the roots. Hope this makes sense!

Yes i think id do loadz of highlights top n sides, and all over colour inbetween. if 10/38 came up an 8 then i agree 8/3 on the ends :) x

After checking it was actually the 10/16 that came up the best colour as it toned down a lot of the gold in her hair. Sorry, got muddled after doing so many samples! Would you still put 8/3 on the end of the old highlights to match them up with the 10/16 at the roots?...

After checking it was actually the 10/16 that came up the best colour as it toned down a lot of the gold in her hair. Sorry, got muddled after doing so many samples! Would you still put 8/3 on the end of the old highlights to match them up with the 10/16 at the roots?...

Yep :) xx

Thanks. Am doing it tomorrow, will let you know how it goes!

Well, four hours later, I managed to achieve what this lady wanted. Unfortunately I forgot to take the before picture before I cut of about 6 inches of hair lol! Although the before picture doesn't show it well, she had a massive band where the old highlights were grown out. Was so relieved I managed to achieve such an even result! :)

Attachments

• Before 1.jpg
    Before 1.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 191
  • Before 2.jpg
    Before 2.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 323
  • After 1.jpg
    After 1.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 1,005
  • After 2.jpg
    After 2.jpg