Keep An Eye On Your Switch/visa/connect Cards

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michelemacca

Nails by Chele
Reaction score
I just wanted to warn you ladies after my experience this past couple of days.

I ended up in the local walk in centre along with my other half on friday as we were both ill, got home around lunchtime and didn't go out again until i went shopping on saturday lunchtime, which was a feat in itself!!!!

Sunday picked the little one up from Nana's house (my wonderful mother travelled the 20 miles on two buses to pick him up on Saturday so we could rest) and went to work on Monday.

Now the switch card i have in my purse expires at the end of this month so I knew I should be receiving my replacement card and that really I should've received it by now. I logged on to the Halifax online banking at work at about 10.30 on Monday to find out I had a zero balance, alarm bells immediately started to ring as I knew I should have had at least £100 in it once the little ones nursery fees had cleared.

I rang the telephone banking to have a snotty woman say, "well you have got 11 transactions pending from the weekend", to which i replied, "i don't think i have as i haven't been out of the house since saturday lunchtime".

It appears my replacement card has been intercepted by some kind person and used in Reading, Woodley and Caversham over the weekend to clear my account of nearly £600 as well as taking me £200 over my overdraft limit!!!

Be careful and if you haven't received your card by the second week of the month your current one expires ring the bank and don't be fleeced like we have been this week. :evil:

S**T...will you get the money back ?

Hi

OMG i hope the bank is going to refund your money! I have been watching all these ads and programmes on identity fraud recently and its soo very scary!

You poor thing, what a nightmare thing to happen..... I may be wrong, but you should get the money back - the bank are liable for fraudulent transactions I believe.

These things always make me cross - I am one of life's trusting souls, and it never fails to surprise me how nasty some people are.

Keep at the bank - fight for your money if you can. Keep your chin up, I know it's not nice but you are better than they are.

Yvette
x

Blimey, how unlucky is that!

I used to work for a credit card company. If i remember rightly if the shop where the money was spent did all of their necessary checks (some have more than others) then they are not responsible for the money. For example, some may just check the signature, which obviously whoever got your card has signed so it would be OK.
If the value of the transaction is over their floor limit they MUST phone for authorisation. If they don't this could mean that the shop has to pay you back the money as they should not have accepted the card.

As I said before I worked for a credit card company, and they don't always work the same as bank cards but just wanted you to know that not all is lost.

Let us know once you have any more info.
Anna xx

I recently moved to a new estate where the road signs are a taking the pi"xx" I complained to the County Council, The Royal Mail, My bank etc. All to no evail. I can recount endless missing postals, but do they believe you...NO!!!!!
The Postmans life must be hell trying to deliver bank/credit cards, pin numbers etc. No one seems interested...!! Someone keeps getting my mail....but who?
PIN you ask youself? First the card turns up 10 weeks in advance, you keep it in a safe place (and then forget about it) by the time the PIN number turns up you don't even remember that you have a card with them.!!
You poor thing. Just remember to keep onto them to try and sort this out. Get the police involved and change all your bank details. GOOD LUCK WITH THIS ONE. xxxxx Ju

hi

we had some fraudulent transactions on our switch card a couple of years ago. the bank refunded the money and we had to sign a form to say we hadn't made the transactions. the bank looked into it and did say if it was discovered that we had used the card we would be done for fraud.

That is awful! And shall I say the happenings took place 5 minutes from where I live! Here I am thinking how safe my town/environment was!

You will get your money back as this is a fraud on your account by a card being intercepted. I work in a bank don't take any excuses, make them give you your money back you are entitled to it. They may try to negotiate with you - don't let them. They shouldn't have sent an activated card out through the post it's against the rules. Hope this helps:idea:

Lulu is right, the card was used by an unauthorized third party, the signature will be different to the one you use..............
When this happend to me, I filled in a form, povided a specimen of my signature and they compard this with the signatures used by this other 3rd party lol........ I got all my money refunded.............
If these shops they used this card in, has chip and pin activated facility, through their Card services provider and didn' use this, then the shop or shops will be liable for the damage caused to your bank balance.............I have just been informed by my banks card service provider about this ruling xxx.

Also complain to your post office or the service the bank uses i.e courier, the card just didn't post or delivered itself to this person !!!!! Complain big time xxxx
Either way not your fault and you will get your money back...........

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

The bank have increased my overdraft temporarily to cover the fraud and have said that they are quite happy it is fraud due to the amounts they have used as they are only quite small and have asked for £50 cashback nearly every time.

I have asked that all future cards be sent to branch for me to collect, i didn't know you could do this until victim support rang me!!!

Luckily it appears that the Halifax are happy things are cut and dried so now it's just waiting to see if they catch the buggers.....only thing is the police don't get involved initially and one of the transactions was on a supermarket petrol station so they should have CCTV but dunno whether the bank can or will request this.

Only thing is now, as I was ill anyway the stress of this has brought shingles out on my face :sad: so I look like the elephant woman at the minute!!!

Once again thank you for your thoughts and kind words everyone xxxxx

Latest posts

Back