Keeping hands out of the register?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plush614

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to avoid multiple employees in and out of the register? How does the salon that you work at do it? How do you control this as a business owner? Seperate banks and collect $ at the end of the night per technician? One person in charge of register?
Thank you!!

why dont you want them using the till?? i think most of the computer based systems use individual passcodes for each staff member so you can track who was doing what.

Unless you want to hire a receptionist who will deal with all transactions it will be really tough stop this. If your concerned about money been stolen then you could do a drop during busy days or each day so there not as much money in the till? Can also make life easier with eod at end of a busy day!

Thank you. Our computer with our software system is not connected to our register. If the count is off at the end of day it is hard to blame one tech as there is a lot in and out all day. Maybe mid day drops are the way to go.

It worked in a salon that I was in and if your comfortable with the idea get different staff each day to do it as i feel it makes them more aware of been careful with transactions and doing things properly.

Thank you. Our computer with our software system is not connected to our register. If the count is off at the end of day it is hard to blame one tech as there is a lot in and out all day. Maybe mid day drops are the way to go.

I don't like the way you say about 'blaming' staff. You sound like you don't trust them. All you need cash wise in till is a 'float' of notes and change, enough to cover clients change then empty out at regular intervals through day. Good idea to do instead of keeping a lot of cash knocking about. Less money to get robbed if someone were to try to rob the salon.

I worked somewhere where it was hinted at by management that staff were taking polishes home. I truly don't believe that this was happening but the fact that it was implied made me feel really uncomfortable. I think it's important to protect your assets but there's a fine line between doing that and making staff feel paranoid and uncomfortable.

Laurakate i agree, i had also worked somewhere where we were always accused of stealing. Nothing was ever proven and I don't think it was ever happening but it made all of us really uncomfortable.

Install a security camera behind the desk, aimed toward the till, it's good for employee safety as well

why dont you want them using the till?? i think most of the computer based systems use individual passcodes for each staff member so you can track who was doing what.

This is correct. A good system will have pin numbers for staff that only take a second to enter and will allow you to track exactly who did what for the day. If you then connect your computer to the till it will record who opened the till during the day. If you really suspect staff fraud you need a video camera, but if you are losing money just due to poor staff cash handling practices then training is probably more in order.

Latest posts

Back