Keeping your own nails nice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautybumblebee

Reaction score
i was wondering how you all keep your own gels intact and nice when using acetone or removal products, I did myself a set of gels yesterday and I have removed three sets since and now my gels are starting to lift because of touching acetone
If I wear vinyl gloves they dissolve when the acetone touches them!

Thanks

Have you tried latex or nitrile? The nitrile let a bit of acetone through but nothing that would ruin a set. Also the way you hold the cotton helps limit exposure. Try, if you don't already, decanting your acetone into pump dispensers and use your finger pads not the tips of your fingers the pump.

Latex dont dissolve in acetone but you have to make sure the clients isn't allergic. You can also wear a pair of latex and then nitrile, but again allergies and potential cost :p

Have you tried latex or nitrile? The nitrile let a bit of acetone through but nothing that would ruin a set. Also the way you hold the cotton helps limit exposure. Try, if you don't already, decanting your acetone into pump dispensers and use your finger pads not the tips of your fingers the pump.

Latex dont dissolve in acetone but you have to make sure the clients isn't allergic. You can also wear a pair of latex and then nitrile, but again allergies and potential cost :p

I will try the latex gloves! But just make sure for allergies! Thanks for your response! :-D
Also pump dispensers is a good idea too! Or a nozzle so I can just spray it onto the cotton not get it all over my hands

Thanks!

Washing up gloves

I use nitrle gloves and the plastic backed lint free pads and never have a problem :)

No it was the picture that made me laugh!

Only way I managed to survive is to buy the pre cut foils with little cotton or batting type attached and as already suggested have your soak off in a menda pump style container and then you not ever going to touch acetone or soak off.

I have become quite sensitized to the calaway from Calgel and their calguard over the 10 years of constant use. I miss the days of just doing normal nails and doing a fill. Now days with this blinking gel polish you soaking off every single time and re applying.

Are nitrile gloves quite strong? My nails keep getting ruined but because my nails are long they rip through the gloves

I might be wrong but I think I read somewhere that latex gloves were the most resistant to acetone rather than nitrile

I might be wrong but I think I read somewhere that latex gloves were the most resistant to acetone rather than nitrile

Yes I think they are, nitrile gloves can let a bit of acetone through but then at least they're safe for all the people with latex allergies

I've been fortunate enough to not have experienced this issue on myself *touch wood*

I always wear gloves..at least until my nails rip a hole in them :( and I always have an overlay with gel color on top.
I do suffer with scratching up a couple of my nails during filing/buffing though. but no lifting.

Yes I think they are, nitrile gloves can let a bit of acetone through but then at least they're safe for all the people with latex allergies

Are people finding allergies to latex on the increase then?
I've only had one client in 27 years have this allergy. Is it on the rise?

Are people finding allergies to latex on the increase then?
I've only had one client in 27 years have this allergy. Is it on the rise?

Probably, I've known of quite a few even in just the past year. I think allergies as a whole are on the increase.
This is why I use nitrile, I find they work great for me and I don't have to worry about asking for latex allergies or someone who doesn't know. They're also more puncture resistant and don't irritate my own hands at all even if I have them on all day :)

I would use nitrile, or get clients to write their allergies on the client record card & sign it.

Latest posts

Back