Kerosene or Turpentine to remove wax?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautynails

Reaction score
In college we used to soak our spatulas in either Turps or Kerosene, but I can't remember which one.

I need something cheap that I can use to soak a wax pot insert in.

I've just pulled this wax pot out of the cupboard, It hasn't been used for a couple of years & it's in a disgusting state.

It would have been turps.We did it too.:)

never heard of that ! interesting

You do then have to make sure you clean the turps off properly or it can cause skin irritations. It was a very cheap & effective method, we had a tall mavi jar full of turps & as you finished with a spatula we put it in the jar, at the end the day, we just had to wipe them all off.

Acetone works well also.

Personally I would heat the wax pot up,then hot turn it off then use wax remover,I would imagine turps gives off an awful lot of odour and as said if any is remaining this could cause skin irritation.

There are specific wax remover products for waxpots,hth:)

Personally I would heat the wax pot up,then hot turn it off then use wax remover,I would imagine turps gives off an awful lot of odour and as said if any is remaining this could cause skin irritation.

There are specific wax remover products for waxpots,hth:)
I know there are specific wax removers, but they are to expensive to use to soak an insert ( so is acetone for that matter).
It is truly manky. It's been packed away for ages with wax sitting in it.
The wax has been thrown out and the insert is soaking in Turps, outside, because yes it does stink. When it's clean it's very simple matter to wash the insert to get all the turps off.

crikey i have never heard of using turps ! we used surgical spirit to clean the wax pots at college ,
when you say you soaked your spatulas in turps ?? did you mean the wood ones ?? sorry just being nosy :lol:

Sugical spirits = if using hot wax, basically pour spirits into the pot and put cotton wool at end of spatula

I would just throw out the wax insert though, new ones aren't expensive and they do need to be changed every couple of months. I just completely changed over my wax today and threw out the old inserts and all the wax in them - am always afraid of cross contamination - I can;t be watching over my girls when they are doing my waxing.
Would prefer to spend a bit extra and have good hygeine than to get sued by someone or even just get a bad review.

K

I know there are specific wax removers, but they are to expensive to use to soak an insert ( so is acetone for that matter).
It is truly manky. It's been packed away for ages with wax sitting in it.
The wax has been thrown out and the insert is soaking in Turps, outside, because yes it does stink. When it's clean it's very simple matter to wash the insert to get all the turps off.
Ok if it's truely manky then just heat it up for a little while and then you will find it much easier to remove,there is absolutely no need to soak the insert,but if you really feel you want to get all the hard,old wax off then in all honesty a new insert only costs about a tenner from Sally's,surely this would be much easier.

If you insist on keeping the old insert I, I wouldn't fill the whole insert up,if it's hard and cold there is nothing that will budge it,it will definately need heating so it melts,do a layer at a time,over a period of a few days.HTH and good luck:green:

Ok if it's truely manky then just heat it up for a little while and then you will find it much easier to remove,there is absolutely no need to soak the insert,but if you really feel you want to get all the hard,old wax off then in all honesty a new insert only costs about a tenner from Sally's,surely this would be much easier.

If you insist on keeping the old insert I, I wouldn't fill the whole insert up,if it's hard and cold there is nothing that will budge it,it will definately need heating so it melts,do a layer at a time,over a period of a few days.HTH and good luck:green:
All done ages ago. I did heat it and scrape out as much as possible. Then soaked in the turps. Cost me about $3 to do compared to about $20 for a new insert. I washed it up in soapy water afterwards. It might of been easier to replace it, but for once I wasn't being lazy.

Latest posts

Back