Kicked in the teeth-advice needed please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I ask what college you applied to for it? I did my make-up at City of Glasgow college. Not a good course.

Last edited:
Hi joeydee,

When I applied for my level 2 beauty I applied late so the course was already full, but once the course had started I rang the beauty department every week (maybe a bit excessive) to ask had anyone dropped out. Sure enough a month later a couple of girls had left so I was offered a place.

Just ring them every now and again that way if anyone does leave you'll name will be the first they think of. And it will prove to them how much you really want this.

xxx

Can I ask what college you applied to for it? I did my make-up at City of Glasgow college. Not a good course.

It was John Wheatley. I would ideally like to study make up at Clydebank though.

So I called the college for feedback, still haven't heard anything yet.:(

On the upside got an interview for another college just for Beauty Therapy...any advice lovely geeks so I don't end up on the wait list again?haha!

xx

I think the first college made a mistake. You sound articulate, knowledgable and have enthusiasm. I used to lecture and for some courses you literally would have hundreds of applications for 30 or 40 places. The other girls waiting at the interview may not have got in either and it's a sign of how popular the health and beauty industry is. Keep trying and keep reading into and around what interests you. Maybe start a Google alert for different things. I have one that gives me a round up of all the latest in the nail industry and it's great for keeping informed. Anything you can do to put yourself ahead of the competition, try! This can be investing in an 'interview outfit', and a manicure of your own beforehand. Try getting some voluntary work experience with a beauty salon, spa or even a local mobile therapist perhaps. Keep a portfolio of your work, so if make up is your thing take some before and after shots of make overs on your friends and family and add little details like if it's a bridal style, catwalk etc and what your inspiration is behind a look etc. practice makes perfect too and interviews are an art form. Employers and colleges don't always pick the right candidates, after all, how much can you REALLY tell from an interview! Don't let what's happened knock you back. You will get there x

I think the first college made a mistake. You sound articulate, knowledgable and have enthusiasm. I used to lecture and for some courses you literally would have hundreds of applications for 30 or 40 places. The other girls waiting at the interview may not have got in either and it's a sign of how popular the health and beauty industry is. Keep trying and keep reading into and around what interests you. Maybe start a Google alert for different things. I have one that gives me a round up of all the latest in the nail industry and it's great for keeping informed. Anything you can do to put yourself ahead of the competition, try! This can be investing in an 'interview outfit', and a manicure of your own beforehand. Try getting some voluntary work experience with a beauty salon, spa or even a local mobile therapist perhaps. Keep a portfolio of your work, so if make up is your thing take some before and after shots of make overs on your friends and family and add little details like if it's a bridal style, catwalk etc and what your inspiration is behind a look etc. practice makes perfect too and interviews are an art form. Employers and colleges don't always pick the right candidates, after all, how much can you REALLY tell from an interview! Don't let what's happened knock you back. You will get there x

you've given lovely, sound advice, but the thread is a good few months old now. The OP has got her college place now xx

I work in a local college and we always use our waiting list.Sometimes people in role and don't even turn up (mainly funded) taking a valuable place like yours.I would give them a ring after the first or second week to just see if a none starter position is available.you have showed passion and interest and with your commitment im sure you could catch up......depending on how long this list actualy is lol :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back