Knots, knots & more knots!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claire10

Reaction score
This is not the first time this has happened to me - girls for haircuts with so many knots (I mean real knots, matted knots, not normal knots! ) in their hair that anyone other than me would probably send them away! Apologetic parents of course who have somehow missed these knots when supposedly brushing - Time consuming is not the word, I'm talking 40 minutes on getting the knots out, 20 minutes on the haircut!. It's actually really stressful not being able to get on and putting the poor kids through pain even though trying to be as gentle as possible!
(a previous experience was worse, I won't even go in to that!). Took me 3 hours in order to save much of the hair! (although a knot the size of a tennis ball had to be cut out - horrendous!)

Should we charge for this extra time spent on preparation? Or should we even do the haircut if it's not in a state where the hair can be easily prepared. In all my years I've never quite come across knots as bad as these, previously and today!.

Hiya
I've had similar experiences not quite as bad though. If they were as bad I would charge extra for my time as it makes you run behind... Plus it may make them more aware of looking after their hair!!

Tangle teasers as great as they are only slide over major knots so I've found if they are using these the knots get worse as they aren't being brushed out properly 😕

I have a customer who's daughter has Afro hair, she says as she's 10 she should brush her own hair. Sometimes it takes me 30mins to an hour to brush out the knots....I actually fume inside as I'm doing it! I've now refused unless her hair is washed & knot free x

HairBy Amanda

I have a customer who's daughter has Afro hair, she says as she's 10 she should brush her own hair. Sometimes it takes me 30mins to an hour to brush out the knots....I actually fume inside as I'm doing it! I've now refused unless her hair is washed & knot free x

HairBy Amanda

What did they say? Did they get arsey??... I remember I spent over an hour combing out someones dreadlocks (they wernt intended to be dreadlocks) but it was bloody awful

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

This is not the first time this has happened to me - girls for haircuts with so many knots (I mean real knots, matted knots, not normal knots! ) in their hair that anyone other than me would probably send them away! Apologetic parents of course who have somehow missed these knots when supposedly brushing - Time consuming is not the word, I'm talking 40 minutes on getting the knots out, 20 minutes on the haircut!. It's actually really stressful not being able to get on and putting the poor kids through pain even though trying to be as gentle as possible!
(a previous experience was worse, I won't even go in to that!). Took me 3 hours in order to save much of the hair! (although a knot the size of a tennis ball had to be cut out - horrendous!)

Should we charge for this extra time spent on preparation? Or should we even do the haircut if it's not in a state where the hair can be easily prepared. In all my years I've never quite come across knots as bad as these, previously and today!.

Size of a tennis ball??!! That's crazy, I'd phone social services! 😉

I struggle to understand how parents let their kids hairs knot like this. My 10yr old has hair to her waist and aside from one incident where I allowed her to wash it herself it is always tangle free, even at best the 3 year olds gets sticky by her face from mis-directed food (hers is below her shoulder blades already) lol. Perhaps you could stock a de tangling spray for retail to these clients? Or recommend one for use daily. I bet your arms were falling off after those experiences.

What did they say? Did they get arsey??... I remember I spent over an hour combing out someones dreadlocks (they wernt intended to be dreadlocks) but it was bloody awful

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Well put it this way....I haven't done her daughter since. I just say I have other appointments & sorry I haven't got time to prepare her hair. It really pisses me off. Like we have nothing better to do! 😡 x

HairBy Amanda

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1413812686.393221.jpg

This is a pic of my 3 year olds hair and as much as she hates me brushing her hair I do so several times a day!

However when my eldest was little she would twiddle her hair when going to sleep and wake up with many knots to undo before school!!

View attachment 77202

This is a pic of my 3 year olds hair and as much as she hates me brushing her hair I do so several times a day!

However when my eldest was little she would twiddle her hair when going to sleep and wake up with many knots to undo before school!!

Oh Wow! How much hair is she gonna have when she is older!! haha

Her hair is beautiful ! Yes charge extra !!!!

Haha I know. She's never had it cut either. She had loads when she was a baby and just keeps growing!

I couldn't even imagine taking her to a hairdresser with knots in her hair and expecting them to take them out .

View attachment 77202

Oh wow. Her hair is beautiful!

On a different note, some people hair is prone to knotting, I use a detangling spray, oil etc and brush/comb my hair every morning and by mid afternoon I have a golf ball knot somewhere! But I always brush before the hair dresser gets hold of my locks.

Ughhhh backs slowly out of the door before I get on my "knotty" soap box....

Why do parents send their children in with total birds nests and expect us to to do it 10 mins :banghead:

Confusion is a lifestyle - not a state of mind :eek:

Ugg!.....Its always those little girls with the white blonde hair that look like faerie children with the crystal clear blue eyes & lv.13 platinum hair naturally that cause the worst knotty labyrinths of our pain too! I get chills think about my reg. that would bring in his faerie child in every 2nd cut of his after HOCKEY!.....on the weekend, busiest time no doubt!
Faerie children should all get it buzzed until at least age 12.....this should be law! Wheres the hair mafia when we need em?!....Yes charge more! or offer a buzz for cheap kid prices......just say that the "kids price" is for a buzz & its going to cost the standard adult price due to the special needs!

Or just be a little rough getting through it make em whine a bit they wont be back. I know that a salon near me wouldnt even allow children inside! weird,I would end up with all their new moms.:twisted:

Defford use a tangle teaser and maybe some morrocan oil before brushing might help....give it a whirl...works for me 😀

Sent from my D6503 using SalonGeek mobile app

I would charge extra, they are potentially taking up another slot in your appointment book the time it takes. Depending on the knots I sometimes find it easier teasing them out with my fingers than brushing.

What do you do when it's an adult with knotty dreaded hair?!

A stylist at work spent an extra 20 minutes untangling an adult clients hair today!

Is there a different etiquette to dealing with unkept grown ups?

'Can you brush your hair for me before we have a consultation'

Then they usually rip through it will a brush in 2 mins, if they can't well what do you expect me to do!

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back