Koleston advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Andersen

Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm looking for some advice with Koleston. I've got a friend who's asked me to start doing her hair, due to costs at her salon. She gets her roots done each time and every 3rd or 4th visit she gets some bleached foils put through to brighten it up.
She says her roots are done with 88/0. I've not got any experience of using this and I'm sure I've read about overlapping regrowth causing banding. Am I right on this?? She has very thick course hair, so maybe that's why they've been using a double base?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Many thanks

Hello all,
I'm looking for some advice with Koleston. I've got a friend who's asked me to start doing her hair, due to costs at her salon. She gets her roots done each time and every 3rd or 4th visit she gets some bleached foils put through to brighten it up.
She says her roots are done with 88/0. I've not got any experience of using this and I'm sure I've read about overlapping regrowth causing banding. Am I right on this?? She has very thick course hair, so maybe that's why they've been using a double base?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Many thanks
Do a thorough consultation and I wouldn't necessarily jump straight to what they have been using.
You can always use that information to make an informed decision yourself afterwards.
88/0 is for resistant white hair.
It's heavily pigmented and will cause banding if you're not careful when applying.
What's her natural level? What % of white hair does she have?

Do a thorough consultation and I wouldn't necessarily jump straight to what they have been using.
You can always use that information to make an informed decision yourself afterwards.
88/0 is for resistant white hair.
It's heavily pigmented and will cause banding if you're not careful when applying.
What's her natural level? What % of white hair does she have?
Naturally probably originally around a 4 or 5, but I'd say it around 50 to 60% white. Regrowth looks pretty steely. I assume the 88/0 will go darker, so I could maybe just 7.0. When it's just done the hair looks quite dark golden / toffee colour

Naturally probably originally around a 4 or 5, but I'd say it around 50 to 60% white. Regrowth looks pretty steely. I assume the 88/0 will go darker, so I could maybe just 7.0. When it's just done the hair looks quite dark golden / toffee colour
You'll get good coverage without the double base. But it may not be so flat.
Is she happy with her colour?
Very often I find if a client wants to change stylist it's for more than one reason.

I do a lot of clients that have coarse white hair and always use the double bases. Be careful with over lapping as it can band a bit.
I agree with another reply. Do a thorough consultation first, she might want something different and got stuck in a rut with her old stylist. Good Luck

Very often I find if a client wants to change stylist it's for more than one reason.
Yeah, I think she is happy with the colour, it's just getting too expensive for her (£90 if just roots and (£145 if some foils too)
Do you think a natural (7.0) mixed with another shade for grey coverage? I used to do another client with Illumina and mixed 7.0 with 7.81 and 6.16 and used to get a nice shade

Ron, I was having a look thru the Koleston shades. Have you any experience of shade 7/17? I'm wondering if mixed with 7/0 will give that sort of toffee shade??

Ron, I was having a look thru the Koleston shades. Have you any experience of shade 7/17? I'm wondering if mixed with 7/0 will give that sort of toffee shade??
7/17 is a nice colour and definitely fits the toffee description L.

Latest posts

Back