Koleston Perfect advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheshirelou

Reaction score
Hi, I need some help with a colour as I have just started using koleston perfect.

I used 8/01 on a clients hair however it has come our a yellow/orangy colour at the roots.
It is also slightly darker than she had wanted so I'm thinking of now putting on a 9/01 over the top to make it lighter but also want to tone out the yellow/orangy from it . Can I put something in with the colour to counteract the yellow/orange undertone from her natural hair or is it best to use a toner afterwards? If so what would you recommend?

Any advise would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

Maybe tone afterwards colour touch 8/81 is always a brilliant toner :)

would you use that with the 1.9% colour touch emulsion? or 4 % 1 part colour to 2 parts emulsion?

A 9/01 over the top won't lift it, tint won't lift tint.

What is her natural base? Which peroxide did you use? It shouldnt have come out yellow/orange as /1 is ashen. Maybe you didnt use a high enough peroxide for how much lift you wanted.

Agree with the geek above, use 8/81 Colour touch with 1.9% all over to get rid of the warmth, works a treat but will make it look a little bit darker.

Her Natural base was about a 5, so I used 8.01 with 12 % on her roots but the ends of her hair were already blonde so I used only a 6%. The ends have come out fine its just the roots.

I passed my level 2 quite a while ago and struggling a bit to get back into it so that's for everyones help!

I'm thinking she will not be happy if it ends up darker and would probably like it lighter anyway so im thinking I might put some highlights in with bleach to lighten it up a bit and then put a toner over the top.

Any more advice would be appreciated :)

Ok I'm gonna go with a full head of scattered highlights then tint the rest of the hair just before I take the foils out. How much 8/81 would you mix with how much 1.9% as it will have to be quite diluted right?

I was going to use bleach and 10vol but wella don't seem to have one. Would 20 vol be ok on a level 8 or should I use the 6 vol?

I've uploaded a photo... I think I might use 10 vol and not wella bleach then. What do you think? Really appreciate all the help!

Attachments

• 20140920_180629.jpg
    20140920_180629.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 291
This thread blows my mind.

1. Bleach is not bleach. There is a reason there is more expensive bleaches like Blondor out there.

2. 9/01 as correctly pointed out will not lift 8/01 tint.

3. Wella have a 10vol alternative called pastel. It's great for gentle lightening.

4. Using 4% with colour touch will not stop colour touch going darker it keep it lighter. If you are using a base 8, it will act like a base 8 whether it's a 1.9% or 4%.

With respect to the OP question, I would probably have gone with a high lift if you were looking for a cool base 9 result. Perhaps 12/89 and 12%. But the best advice now is Blondor and pastel either doing a gentle cleanse to lighten or to scatter some foils through.

Please refrain from giving advice if your advice is poor advice.

I agree with kimmi, I find the Wella threads the ones where people throw in the most bizarre information.

Maybe let's go back to the result she wanted? I would have suspected a 8/01 to come out warm. Would you always lift with the same shade you used on the ends? I would predict the roots would look like a /73 so that what I would have used on the ends?

Maybe go on a refresher course which includes underlying warmth x

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Someone has previously suggested a 8/01 shouldn't have gone warm. A couple of Wella tips.

/1 is universal ash which will SUBDUE any tone, it will not cancel anything out.
/6 is violet and will cancel yellow out
/8 is pearl (blue) and will cancel orange out
/9 is cendre (pinky) and is a combo of /6 and /8.

When you lift from 5 to 8, you go through orange to yellow which is the undertone of an 8. So you want a base 8 with /6, /8 or /9 in it. Suggested shade would be Koleston 8/96 or Illumina 8/69 (my personal preferred choice)

If you wanted a cool 9 result, I would go with a 12/89 in highlift blonde.

Hope this helps (I know you will all think I'm a cow but you are better learning it from us with a little more experience than muddling along)

Someone has previously suggested a 8/01 shouldn't have gone warm. A couple of Wella tips.

/1 is universal ash which will SUBDUE any tone, it will not cancel anything out.

When you lift from 5 to 8, you go through orange to yellow which is the undertone of an 8. So you want a base 8 with /6, /8 or /9 in it. Suggested shade would be Koleston 8/96 or Illumina 8/69 (my personal preferred choice)

Hope this helps (I know you will all think I'm a cow but you are better learning it from us with a little more experience than muddling along)

Fantastic advice, I think you covered almost every base. Some of the advice given on this thread is horrifying!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Kimi's detailed reply is very helpful here and as a highly respected Geek on this forum, I would happily trust her advice.

However, for newbies to the forum, when posting advice, please bear in mind this is a forum for hair professionals where it's assumed you have some degree of expertise in the subject being discussed. This isn't a college break room.

For newbies thinking of following any advice, I would always recommend that you look at the profile of the poster and check their level of experience and qualifications. Also, do other Geeks value their opinions?

caveat emptor - buyer beware!

Hi, Is this still true since they added the +ME in 2018? I'm hoping so! Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge!

Hi, Is this still true since they added the +ME in 2018? I'm hoping so! Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge!

Just so you know, the poster you’ve quoted has been absent since 2016 and the original thread was created some 5 years ago.

Just so you know, the poster you’ve quoted has been absent since 2016 and the original thread was created some 5 years ago.
Thanks for the update!

Latest posts

Back