Konad-all you need to know and your favourite pics!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joingram87

Reaction score
Evening geeks :)

So, it has come to Picci and I's attention that more and more people are discovering the magic that is konad!

It's not everyone's cuppa tea, and I know there are loads of other threads on here already about it. But for those of you who don't know what it is, how it works and want to learn more then this is the thread for you.

What is konad?
Konad is a form of nail art that is simply stamped onto the nail plate. The konad kit basically consists of an image plate, scraper, stamper and nail polish remover (or d. solve is fine if you have it)

Check out this video on the konad website, make sure you wait for it to load because it is really helpful in explaining how konad works rather than me trying to list a step by step: Konad Nails - Video

Konad is quick, simple and is great for those who are rubbish (like me!) at free hand.

Where can you buy konad?
You can buy konad from numerous websites here are just a few:
Konad Nail Art
Konad Nails - Be Creative, Use Nail Stamping for Beautiful Nails

Whats best to get you started?
Your best value for money when starting out is looking into a set such as the konad set B Konad Nails - Set B it has 3 polishes, 4 plates, scraper and stamper and it just brilliant to use when you are starting out.

Can you use 'normal' nail polishes to stamp with?
Genreally, the best polishes to use are the Konad special polishes as they have an acrylic base. however it is trial and error as some normal nail polishes do work. So if you have any, dig them out and try them and then you will soon know if they work or not.

To save 'clogging' up the nail forum with loads of konad threads and questions etc did you know that there is a special konad stamping group? if you have any questions please post them here as there are a vast array of avid konaders who will most certainly be able to help you. just follow this link Salon Geek - Konad stamping geeks

Having smudging issues?
When applying a top coat over your konad, be sure you have enough product on your brush and 'float' the top coat over the konad and do not go back over with the brush as this will cajuse the image to drag and smudge.:sad:

Can you use it with shellac/gelish etc?
Yes you can. Simply do your pep as normal, base, colour coats then top coat (cure as and when required) stamp (with konad special polish) onto sticky layer and finish with a final top coat cure.

Can you use shellac/gelish etc as the polish to stamp?
just like with the 'normal' polish it is trial and error. As i only use shellac I cant really comment on how well other brands work when useing them as the stamping polish. I have only found the Iced Cappuccino shellac to work ok when stamping. This is due to shellac being designed as a '2 coat colour system' and a bit looks washed out when stamped as most of the designs can not be stamped over to intensify the colour....but give it a go with a small design and see how you get on.

The only thing that is stopping you is your imagination and your creativity! hop on the band wagon and become one of our many great konaders :)

Oh...and please please use this thread for as many of your pictures to help show others just how amazing konad looks. Here are some of mine:

user38335_pic37399_1305905941.jpg user38335_pic38978_1310752063.jpg
user38335_pic39754_1312910967.jpg user38335_pic40051_1313605288.jpg

I have probably missed some info out that is helpful, i will add it in as and when :)

I hope you find this helpful.

Enjoy xx

Last edited:
Such a good thread. Thanks for doing this Jo :)

Can you use gel polish colours on the plate and stamper?

Great thread Jo!!!

I hope to have some free time tonight to play around, hopefully I will be able to add a pic :D

Can you use gel polish colours on the plate and stamper?

That one is trial an error too :).the only shellac colour i have successfully been able to stamp with is iced cappuccino.

The other colours are a bit 'washed' out looking when stamping, and this is down to their uniqueness of being a 2coat colour.system. But as i say i only use shellac so its worth giving it a go :)

Great thread Jo!!!

I hope to have some free time tonight to play around, hopefully I will be able to add a pic :D

Picchi, please please please post piccys of your fab manis in here for all to see :)

I've been playing around with my first set, the set b..its fantastic! Love looking through all the amazing designs and putting my own twist on some :)
Brilliant thread..look forward to seeing some more designs!

Kayleigh xx

Essential Bliss Beauty Therapy

I knew I had a few bits collected over the years but just surprised my self when I got it all together !
I must have collectively spent quite a bit !!!
& C$*p !!! I HATE wasting money I've only ever done maybe 4 or 5 nails with it on!!!!!

I can totally see how much more successful it will be with UV colors ,
Sooooo time to make it ern its money back! I think i will be reading the threads and pushing it on my ladys lol

How do you all charge for it with shellac or your gel polish ?

And what is your way of displaying your patens?
I'm thinking maybe in black on paper ?

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1313664270.645843.jpg

Wow mizzy you really do have a big collection! Would love all those colors :)

Well my pricing starts at 50p per nail and increases depending on the complexity of the design they want.

I always wear konad of some sort on my nails. And i have recently put together a small konad portfolio. I also create new designs on colour pops for a bit of extra inspiration for my clients :)

Hi there

I have had my kit since Christmas time last year, i have used it once.

I went to use it the other week over acrylic however i was gutted when the image wasnt picking up on my stamper.

Any suggestions as to what i have done wrong.

xx

Hi there

I went to use it the other week over acrylic however i was gutted when the image wasnt picking up on my stamper.

xx

1st port of call from me would be to give it all a good clean with nail polish remover as it hasn't been used in a while.

2nd remember to work super fast (slap the special polish on the image it doesn't need to be neat)

"Can you e 'normal' nail polishes to stamp with?
Genreally, the best polishes to use are the Konad special polishes as they have an acrylic base. however it is trial and error as some normal nail polishes do work. So if you have any, dig them out and try them and then you will soon know if they work or not."

Hi!!
Do you think you could use acrylic paint then?
xx

"Can you e 'normal' nail polishes to stamp with?
Genreally, the best polishes to use are the Konad special polishes as they have an acrylic base. however it is trial and error as some normal nail polishes do work. So if you have any, dig them out and try them and then you will soon know if they work or not."

Hi!!
Do you think you could use acrylic paint then?
xx

Probably not as the consistency od acrylic lain tis totally different. Although the konad special polish is acrylic based its consistency is still that of a polish.

But please try it...you can then feedback and let us know if its good or not :)

Thanks for posting this, I've asked for a kit for my birthday present so now I can tell them kit B:D Also I've seen Konad used with Shellac but didn't realise it could be sealed under the top coat and I did wonder how well it would wear compared to the Shellac service. Again, Now I Know.
I'm really looking forward to this Autumn for many reasons, and shall enjoy nail stamping all those students who like to be different.
Oh! For the lady who wants to display. I think black card with white stamps, neon, gold and silver will look more dramatic.

Hi there

xx

Just like BryT said give the stamper and plate a little clean. Also try to very, very lightly buff the stamper.

But normally the most important thing is speed. If the polish drys on the plate or on the stamper it will not transfer. Go for 2-3 seconds max between scraping and transferring to your nail.

These are my nails today, I wanted something fun and bright to distract me from working hard in the gym :eek:

The base is Nfu-Oh 63 stamped with Konad SP in black. The design is from Bundle Monster plate 208.

These are my nails today, I wanted something fun and bright to distract me from working hard in the gym :eek:

The base is Nfu-Oh 63 stamped with Konad SP in black. The design is from Bundle Monster plate 208.

Oh Picchi these are lovely.

Ooh! I prefer that design and look over the crackle polishes, very clean.

Thanks so much for this thread. I never knew this existed until reading these forums and I'd really like to give it a go. Just remember all the fun we had at school doing the potato printing :D

I loved this the last time you did it and I love it again this time....even more so! the base colour is just divine under the stamp!

Latest posts

Back