Kooky Wrap dilemma!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mimo9

Reaction score
Need some good advice guys! Just done some training and we used Kooky wraps as opposed to Minx! I haven't been the biggest fan till now so have very little knowledge of the application but have found the Kooky's to be either very straightforward....or really difficult!! On my own toes they were a doddle and look great yet on my niece's toes they were a nightmare as she has rubbish nails so there's nothing much between the skin and the toenail if that makes sense! It all seemed to blend into one so there's nothing to grip the end to or to trim to. Maybe I'm missing something obvious or maybe it's just that we can't apply Kooky's to everyone! All we were taught to do in training was prep the nail, select the correct size of Kooky, stretch it over the nail then trim to size before finding the nail edge and filing it down...but how do you file it down to just skin? Hope that makes enough sense for someone to answer! Also should we just invest in Minx if they're the bigger brand? Are they likely to give us less grief in the long run.....ie stay on for longer? Thanks xx

I had exactly the same problem when I Minxed my friends toes. There was nothing to file against as there was no free edge at all. It knocked my confidence until I looked at it properly. I have no issue doing my own and am planning on buying the black Minx lamp in order to do my training.

Talking of training, this is the kind of thing that I expect to be covered. Trouble shooting the less than perfect scenario, so you are well prepared as well as knowing when to say, actually, I can't do that.

Did you not go over these things at all?

I had exactly the same problem when I Minxed my friends toes. There was nothing to file against as there was no free edge at all. It knocked my confidence until I looked at it properly. I have no issue doing my own and am planning on buying the black Minx lamp in order to do my training.

Talking of training, this is the kind of thing that I expect to be covered. Trouble shooting the less than perfect scenario, so you are well prepared as well as knowing when to say, actually, I can't do that.

Did you not go over these things at all?

To be honest, no we didn't! Our training ran over and the Kooky training was so quick, mainly because of how simple it is! So okay in theory it is simple but as we are both experiencing that's only if you get the perfect set of toes and let's face it how many folk have those??? My niece even has a nail missing on her little toe so I had to randomly stick a piece of the wrap on to her skin as she was insistent. I'm going to ring them back and get advice or ask them to re-train us with some trouble-shooting advice as I'm not too thrilled about dealing with 'issues'!

I would absolutely call them back. Maybe you can get some 121 time with your trainer.

I would absolutely call them back. Maybe you can get some 121 time with your trainer.

Have done and he advised.... again....to file the wrap to the free edge! I said there wasn't one....again! He then said that if that is the case then we need to just pull the wrap as taut as possible and trim it neatly with scissors! Hmmmm! On a positive note I applied my own on Monday morning and they are stuck fast! :)

There has to be an edge to the nail even if access to that free edge is hampered by skin.

You need to gain access to the edge by gently pushing the skin down out of your way.

I did a set of Minx on a teenager who had picked her big toenails the day before her appointment (her mum was soo mad at her for doing it) because she had picked and peeled her free edge off the actual edge of her nail was layered and very thin as well as short.

I did the prep and sized up the minx then applied and cut as close to where I knew there was nail. The I pressed my thumb down on her skin in front of the nail releasing the wrap from her skin and I trimmed away the excess minx. I kept trimming away little bits of minx until I could feel her nail in the clippers (or see a little nail come away with the minx in the clippers) which created a sealed edge as best I could to the thinned out layered edge of the nail.

Here is the end result:
pinkfishnetminx.jpg

pinkfishnetminx2.jpg

Fantastic job BB! You explained it very well and the pic shows just what you can achieve.

My friends nails were shorter still, but if I do them again, I will be doing that technique.

If her nails had been filed or clipped back so they were at full thickness she would have had about 1/3 of what is there in the pic.

She had torn the nails off, so there was a very, very thin, tiny bit of nail left on the edge you can see. I decided the nails would look better if I kept as much length as possible and seled the edge by clipping the minx to the nail (the squeezing action of the clippers creates a great seal that will last just as long as filing the free edge :wink2:).

The girl in the pic went on holiday to America 2 days later for 3 weeks and when she returned I asked if they had lasted (I had warned her mum they may peel because of how little nail there was to attach the minx to) and they were all still on. She removed them after 5 weeks as her nails had grown and she wanted a colour change.

Excellent! I'm sure I read the other day that using clippers has been included in recent training days.

These are fab BaggyBear! My practice nails were a little shorter but they too are still going strong so not too bad considering! Didn't look quite as good as these though! xx

Me again! I was meaning to ask how you go about getting the right wraps in stock for what your clients want?
As it will obviously be impossible to have them all in at once. How do your clients choose in time for you to get them? Thanks

Sent from my GT-I5800 using SalonGeek

I have a few in stock they can choose from on the day, however, if they want something in particular I get them too look at the charts at least a week in advance and take a £10 non-refundable deposit. This way if they dont turn up or change their minds I'm not out of pocket - I've never had anyone complain about this and I've been Minxing for 18months.

Karaxxx

I have a few in stock they can choose from on the day, however, if they want something in particular I get them too look at the charts at least a week in advance and take a £10 non-refundable deposit. This way if they dont turn up or change their minds I'm not out of pocket - I've never had anyone complain about this and I've been Minxing for 18months.

Karaxxx

Thank you for your reply! Roughly how many designs do you have in? About 10? And just one of each design? Thanks

Sent from my GT-I5800 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back