L&P extensions stained

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deb379

Reaction score
Hi there
Had my nail biter back today as her nails had already grown in 5 days! Anyway had to replace 3 nails and do infills and this is when I noticed the old acrylic had a slightly dirty look to them, didn't match with the new stuff.

We were trying to work out why, she smokes, but personally I don't think this would cause it, she works at a swimming pool so could it be the chemicals in the pool or could it be some very old top coat she applied which was apparently gooey?

Deb379

Deb379 said:
Hi there
Had my nail biter back today as her nails had already grown in 5 days! Anyway had to replace 3 nails and do infills and this is when I noticed the old acrylic had a slightly dirty look to them, didn't match with the new stuff.

We were trying to work out why, she smokes, but personally I don't think this would cause it, she works at a swimming pool so could it be the chemicals in the pool or could it be some very old top coat she applied which was apparently gooey?

Deb379

Does she use fake tan atall Deb?? just a thought! I had a client once and her nails went a 'dirty' colour and turned out she didn't wear gloves when applying fake tan! :rolleyes: J xx

Hi

I don't think so, weird, hasn't happened to anyone else I've done.

Deb379

Don't think I am being awful, but some nail biters are actually very dirty people with their hands. They are not used to taking care of their hands and they don't. They don't wash them often and they are contimually in their mouth.

I have often seen this 'dirty' look on bad nail biters.

No I don't think it was that geeg, it's difficult to describe. Just not as crisp looking as the new nails I did. Suppose you could liken it to paintwork which goes slightly yellow, dirty looking where someone smokes but not that bad. It didn't make any difference when I buffed the nails.

She did mention something about cleaning as this is how she knocked 3 off, including Z2&3 I might add, I wondered if it could have been some sort of cleaning solvent she used?

She wondered if it was the solar oil, I said no, I had put a top coat of "out the door" on last week which is new. So that's got me thinking now the top coat should have lasted since last Thurs, but she told me she put her old gooey top coat on.

It will be interesting to compare the 3 new ones when she comes back next week. I used MSI clear top coat this time as I let her have this for free as it's her 18th tomorrow.

Deb379

I might just be that top coat. I buff all my nails to a shine with oil and have no probs, then one ov my customers tried her own gloss polish on just one hand. It was fine for a day or two and then went a dirty looking colour especially compared to the hand without the polish. When buffed down for the infill all went back to normal.

Hi

What product are you using? I used Star Nails but found they really discoloured, I have now switched to NSI and have no problems with discolouring. There are all sorts of things though that can discolour the nails as i have found with some of my clients. One client had an orange stain on a couple of nails and when we got to the bottom of it it turns out she'd been peeling carrots - told her to use gloves the next time and haven't had a problem since.

Shelley

Just thought I'd post with my experience with "Out the Door" topcoat. I love it! It dries fast and shiney. I haven't found anything to compare to it. So I don't think it was the "Out the Door," maybe her old top coat. By the way, what does the NSI stand for when you're talking about products?!

tanyamoniq said:
By the way, what does the NSI stand for when you're talking about products?!

Nail Systems International (the company) ;)

Thanks for your thoughts, I use creative. I can't help feeling it was her old top coat, she's probably had it donkeys years and how know what ingredients are in it?

If she's continued to use the top coat I gave her then the 3 new ones I put on should be OK next week. So wil have to wait and see

Deb379

Does the discolouration buff off? If so, it was surface staining. If not, its most likely contaminated product.

Hope this helps :D

Hi samuel

It didn't seem to buff off, when you say contaminated I guess you mean the monomer, what would contaminate it. I usually rinse my dish and pipette in water and either let them dry off naturally or wipe with a tissue.

When I put her 3 new ones on I had to start my new bottle so they should be OK next week if it was contamination.

Thanks
Deb379

I often get disclouration when i do infills where i file and mainly if i chase the line. I get a brown disclouration, and a clear colour change between the new and the old. If that makes sense!! and its driving me mad. Havent had it since i changed to CND only when i used to use my old millenium nails stuff. what can that be?? lady paints them so she said not to worry but I dont like it one bit!!!! I think they look a mess!

Latest posts

Back