L&P In-Fills

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collins

Reaction score
Hi please could someone give me some advice. I am new to nails and have only been a qualified mobile tech for 8 months.

I've had a few new people ask me lately if I could do in-fills on the set of nails they already have that were perfomed by other techs. As I don't know what products they've used or know the condition of the nail under the acrylic I've said that I wouldn't do the Infill but could do a soak off and put on a new set.

I use NSI products and was concerned that if I was to do an in-fill that my products would not bond to whatever they already had on their nails.

Am I doing the right thing or am I turning clients away who don't want a brand new set.

collins said:
Hi please could someone give me some advice. I am new to nails and have only been a qualified mobile tech for 8 months.

I've had a few new people ask me lately if I could do in-fills on the set of nails they already have that were perfomed by other techs. As I don't know what products they've used or know the condition of the nail under the acrylic I've said that I wouldn't do the Infill but could do a soak off and put on a new set.

I use NSI products and was concerned that if I was to do an in-fill that my products would not bond to whatever they already had on their nails.

Am I doing the right thing or am I turning clients away who don't want a brand new set.
Hi Clare and welcome to the site! A lot of people wont work on other people's work - you are not unusual. However, there is no reason why you cant: once the l&p is cured then you can apply another one. My advice is if the client wont have a soak off and you do work on top of somebody elses work then get the client to sign a disclaimer saying something along the lines of you taking no responsibility for the l&p applied beforehand. The problems you might face are if the colour is different. I find that if i say to a client that i wont work on other's work then they are quite happy to have a soak off and start afresh with me.

I have exactly the same policy as you do. I will NOT perform infills on nails that I didn't put on and I never break this rule. There are a lot of techs out there who are badly trained doing untold damage to peoples nail plates, and I just won't take the risk of getting the balme for other people's mistakes. Stick to your guns! If you wanted them as a new client you could offer a lower price, or first infills free to encourage them to have their existing product removed and thn have you put a new full set on.

i would also get them to sign a disclaimer so that if there was a colour difference then you have a back up. Most of the time if you explain that this can happen then i'm sure they will agree to a soak off and new set applied.

Thanks for your advice ladies it is a real help and thankyou for making me feel welcome to the site.

collins said:
Thanks for your advice ladies it is a real help and thankyou for making me feel welcome to the site.
You're very welcome - you can always ask and you're sure to get an answer!

Hi Guys!

I have had so many clients come to my salon wanting infills on nails that i havent applied. What i always say is " The products used may not be compatible with the products that i use, therefore i am not able to perform the infills, as its a risk not worth taking" People are always happy with this, and understand, i then go on to tell them that i will not charge them for the soak off if they book in for a removal and have a new set applied by myself.

Hope this helps somewhat!

Michelle xx

pinkshell_nails said:
Hi Guys!

I have had so many clients come to my salon wanting infills on nails that i havent applied. What i always say is " The products used may not be compatible with the products that i use, therefore i am not able to perform the infills, as its a risk not worth taking" People are always happy with this, and understand, i then go on to tell them that i will not charge them for the soak off if they book in for a removal and have a new set applied by myself.

Hope this helps somewhat!

Michelle xx

Trouble with saying this Michelle is that it is not true. ALL nail products can be used to rebalance each other. Liquid/powder over gel or wraps and visa versa and all combinations.

True they may not look nice, true the colour will almost certainly be different, true you cannot always rely on the last technician's expertise, BUT the products are compatible as far as being able to be used together.

Its always best to just give out the correct and factual information and argue on the other points such as colour difference etc. Most clients will start afresh with a little encouragement.

geeg said:
Trouble with saying this Michelle is that it is not true. ALL nail products can be used to rebalance each other. Liquid/powder over gel or wraps and visa versa and all combinations.

True they may not look nice, true the colour will almost certainly be different, true you cannot always rely on the last technician's expertise, BUT the products are compatible as far as being able to be used together.

Its always best to just give out the correct and factual information and argue on the other points such as colour difference etc. Most clients will start afresh with a little encouragement.
Couldnt agree more :). I never need to put pressure on clients. Whenever i tell them there may be a difference in colour and the best way forward is to start afresh, have them soaked off and a new set applied, they dont bat an eyelid and always go for it.

I have no problem working ontop of other techs work , i get alot of new clients this way, BUT i make sure to let them know there will be a colour difference and to point that out when im finished. I would say 5 times out of 10 when they return in a few weeks for there next appointment and ask for a soak off saying that they prefer the natural colour of my acrylic as it hasnt discoloured like there previous acrylic.

It also depends on the condition of the nails , i mean i can tell if my brand has been used on there nails and sometimes i get clients that have moved here and have lovely work done and its just a matter of carrying on where their old tech left off, and other times i get some shockers lol but as you get more confidence you wont have a problem with it and can advise your clients on what is best for them and their nails.

Kerrie :)

Hi all,

I really am a newbie as just had my assesment on Creative Nails foundation course two weeks ago but something that I was told by the trainer seems to be very at odds with what you guys are saying.

I was told that UNDER NO circumstances should you carry out infills on nails if you do not know that they are the same products and system that you use. I was told that the reason for this is that the different systems have different chemical make-ups and could react with each other to cause a reaction and damage to the clients nails. At the time this seemed to make a lot of sense.

Have I been told a load of porkies?

BeachBabe said:
Hi all,

I really am a newbie as just had my assesment on Creative Nails foundation course two weeks ago but something that I was told by the trainer seems to be very at odds with what you guys are saying.

I was told that UNDER NO circumstances should you carry out infills on nails if you do not know that they are the same products and system that you use. I was told that the reason for this is that the different systems have different chemical make-ups and could react with each other to cause a reaction and damage to the clients nails. At the time this seemed to make a lot of sense.

I'll leave that one for Geeg to answer coz i dont know why you'd have been given that information - Geeg, what do you think?

BeachBabe said:
Hi all,

I wouldn't have thought that one a chemical in this case L&P has polymerised it would then react with another L&P which is being placed onto would cause a reaction...but I have only just started reading Doug Schoons book on product chemistry - so i'd be intersted to know if there is just 2 school of thoughts on this or is one wrong?

Fab Freak said:
I wouldn't have thought that one a chemical in this case L&P has polymerised it would then react with another L&P which is being placed onto would cause a reaction...but I have only just started reading Doug Schoons book on product chemistry - so i'd be intersted to know if there is just 2 school of thoughts on this or is one wrong?
I'm sure that Geeg has said in the past that once polymerisation is complete, then any product can be used over the top. I am sure she knows what she's talking about ;)

we were told on my course that after the nail has polymerised you can ifill with a different product if you wish (it may look different but it will do no harm)

we were told never to mix (as such) raw chemicals. (didn't know how else to put it) so you wouldn't use ONS liquid and CREATIVE powder, as this will form a chemical reaction, and besides, the products are developed to work with each other, therefore chemical reation or no chemical reaction, they will not work correctly if you mix products.

apart from that its fine, for example quite a few of my clients prefer to have a coat of gel on top of their l&P, after every appointement, as it is quicker than buffing all the nails to a high shine, and it doesn't tend to go dull.

BeachBabe said:
Hi all,

YOur profile information does not give me a clue as to where you trained.

All of the CND ambassadors know their product chemistry and that one product can be used over another polymerized product. What you must not do is mix one company's liquid monomer with another company's powder as the 2 are specifically made to go together.

Perhaps you misunderstood the educator or else trained at a college where the educator was not a trained CND Ambassador. Maybe you would like to pm me with more details??

Latest posts

Back