L&P nails that won't soak off?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlabarbie

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a very loyal regular client who I do CND enhancements on. However she now has a second home in America and goes there for up to 2 months at a time.
She came to me today having had her nails done in America, in a discount salon, and I sat her in acetone for a good 30 mind and they did not budge one bit!
In the end I did a rebalance but told her that I wouldn't normally do that and she was fine, she understands there's a risk.
But for future reference how on earth do I remove acrylics that can't be soaked off?' do I have to file them off?

Last edited by a moderator:
In short Yes....

Hmmm. That would take at least an hour I reckon, just to file.

I do not do this kind of nail enhancement, I am a beauty therapist who also does nails. I am not a nail TECHNICIAN.

I am fairly sure that on a recent thread the suggestion was (by Chickafish I think) that you should not remove but rebalance.

Almost certainly a nail tech will come along and advise you correctly.

Jacqui xx

I've had clients in before who've had there nails done while away in America and they are SO tough to get off all I can advise is to rough file the top then soak for 10 minutes then file, soak and just keep going back and forth until they come off =] hope this helps

Thank you. They are ridiculous! I did file down as much as I could but they were really tough and I was worried about damaging her nail beds! In future I will try the file and soak file and soak routine!

Oh gosh.....the dreaded no budge nail product! As an American Cosmetologist is see this occasionally in the salon. I thought we were safe, but now with UV gel top coats that aren't soakable, I'm starting to see it more. If a new client comes in with L&p's on and I'm not sure of who or where she had them done, I'll soak for a few minutes and if they aren't turning "fuzzy" then I dry one hand off, file off the top layer and then soak some more, and so on.
The good news is that this process usually cures the client from going to those budget salons ever again!

BTW, I've had clients come in with what they thought was Shellac from a budget salon that wouldn't soak off in remover wraps. After telling them they're wearing knock off nails, they almost always rebook with me 😃

I do not do this kind of nail enhancement, I am a beauty therapist who also does nails. I am not a nail TECHNICIAN.

I am fairly sure that on a recent thread the suggestion was (by Chickafish I think) that you should not remove but rebalance.

Almost certainly a nail tech will come along and advise you correctly.

Jacqui xx

:lol: Yes me and a few others have said that. In cases where they're coming to you from a discount salon, if client is planning to get a new set anyway, it's probably best to rebalance/infill instead (if possible) in case the natural nails are too weak to support a new set. But if client wants it totally removed without a new set, quickest way is to clip off any tips, and file the bulk down before soaking cuz you really don't want your clients sitting in acetone for very long. During the soak process, you can use a pusher or cuticle stick to help some of it come off. Then proceed with regular mani and retail some solar oil (hehe)

As an American, I know exactly what you are talking about! She probably had her nails done at a nss. She has dental acrylic on her nails which will not soak off. They are meant to be filed off. If you have an e-file, I would use it. That's about the best way to get it off, and the quickest. Most nss in my area use this horrible mma containing product, they also wear a mask when "drilling" it off. It's nail salons like these that give our industry a bad reputation. I was is Cosmoprof a bit ago and a nss tech came in for OPI's Absolute acrylic MSDS for there own product. Of course they did not give him the MSDS cause he had not purchased that product at Cosmoprof. This is what makes me mad. I actually went to a nss salon for uv gel nails cause I was too busy and wanted some r&r. The tech Said yes we do gel nails, but they are $50. He proceeded to put tips on me, then he got out the acrylic. I said what are u doing, that's not gel? He said yes it is, it's a new kind of gel. I then said why does it smell so bad? He said it is a new gel product that goes on like gel. I said Wrong, I'm a nail tech, and if u think u can put acrylic on me then a gel top coat and charge me $50, you better think again. Needless o say, he wasn't happy he just got caught n a lie. I now tell everyone I know not to go to these places. My clients know I use professional products on them, everything is in its original container and nothing is unlabeled!

Hi I had a client like this. She had been having her nails done at a NSS. It took me forever to reduce the thickness of the product for a rebalance. I used an e-file and an 80 grit abrasive (as advised by my boss)

Agree with chickafish - upon removal its likely the natural nails won't hold a new set so I'd say to rebalance until the old product has grown out x

Thanks for all the replies! She walked away with bright pink l and p rebalance from me and was more than happy! Just beggars belief how strong that stuff is.

I wouldn't normally rebalance anyone else's work unless I knew for sure they used CND but in this instance it seems the best option do thank you for reassuring me and all the advice.

Latest posts

Back