L&P removal - how long should it take?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eledhel

Reaction score
I did my first 2 sets of L&P extensions the other weekend and one of the sets is lifting already round the sides - I need to work on my beads as they're too wet and I can't figure out how to get them drier, but that's another story!

Anyway, I've told the lass that I'll take them off for her and re-apply but we haven't actually covered removal at college yet - I know the gist, I've taken them off my own nails, but it seemed to take ages, it took me an hour the other night just to soak off one that I'd had done professionally at a demo - should removal really take that long, or do I need to be doing something different?? (I soaked a lint free pad in acetone and held it on my nail by wrapping tin foil around it)

Any pointers would be appreciated, my friend wants a nice (free) set of nails for Christmas!

i think it depends on how thick you doing these nails flowere - it only takes me 20 mins to soak off

It takes me around 20 - 30 mins to soak off. Have you given them a bit of a file over first because that will help. What system are you using?

I have found that if i use a ball of cotton wool and completely soak it in acetone, place it on the nail and wrap in foil and keep it on for at least 20mins without checking it, most of it just slips straight off.

I forgot to say I put a warm wheatbag under a towel to rest hands on as it comes off easier if the acetone is warm.

I have found that if i use a ball of cotton wool and completely soak it in acetone, place it on the nail and wrap in foil and keep it on for at least 20mins without checking it, most of it just slips straight off.

this is how i soak off aswell......

well, they maybe are a little thick!!

thanks for your suggestions, I'll definitely try the keeping warm bit. I was soaking a lint free pad in acetone, but I'm thinking maybe a cotton wool ball holds more

at least I get some practice at it, having to remove them earlier than I figured :confused:

Just wanted to say, that because my nails are so flat I end up needing a lot more product than someone whose nails have a nice, or even normal curve to them.

It takes me quite awhile to soak off my nails, particularly on the apex where there is a lot of product!!

It's also more difficult to soak off on yourself, IMO!!

that's true moopie! I just can't sit there myself for the time it takes, I keep checking it and messing with it LOL

When i do my own, after i wrap my fingers in foil, i get some of the finger protection tape, cut it into narrow strips and wrap a strip around each finger, that way i can still go and do other things for 1/2hr and the foil wont fall off :)

When i do my own, after i wrap my fingers in foil, i get some of the finger protection tape, cut it into narrow strips and wrap a strip around each finger, that way i can still go and do other things for 1/2hr and the foil wont fall off :)

yes, i have trouble waiting:lol:

after wrapping in foil i put on a couple of pairs of latex gloves. these keep everything in place and make my hands hot too so it helps the acetone to work quicker. i then go off and do some kind of ghastly cleaning chore that i wouldnt want to do when my nails are freshly done:lol:

I firstly rough up the surface of the L&P then emmerse into the little acetone baths, my trays are in bowls of hot water, and then a towel is wrapped around and over the clients hands. For complete removal, it usually takes about 20-25 mins. I allow 45 mins for a removal and mini manicure!

xxxx:hug:

angel fingers,

how on earth do you get on gloves with foil and cotton soaked acetone all over the tips of your fingers?!

you're my hero!! I have to try this!

angel fingers,

how on earth do you get on gloves with foil and cotton soaked acetone all over the tips of your fingers?!

you're my hero!! I have to try this!

ha ha:lol:
firstly i file over the surface of my product on the nails to make them more porous.

i cut up my pieces of cotton and put them in a little bit of product remover to soak.

i do my left hand first, and apply a bit of the soaked cotton to the nail and wrap foil tightly round the finger. take care to wrap it tightly and keep it flat rather than just loosely scrunching it on to the finger. i do the pinky first and work through to the thumb.

as soon as i have them all wrapped i put on a glove to hold them all in place.

moving on to the right hand , i use tweezers to apply the soaked cotton to the nails because the gloves disolve if you get acetone on them. again work from the pinky to the thumb.

get the gloves on the right hand and go away and do something for 20 minutes and then srip off and remove the old product from the nails.

my top tip is to use some extra thick high quality foil as it grips round the fingers much better than thin old cheapy value foil.

I'm going to do myself a pretty new set (glitters... ooooh aaaaah!) for xmas, so I will be soaking off this set within the week.

This is going to be so useful!! Thanks for walking us through..it sounds like a great way. I will let you know how it turns out (and all about the mess I always make, LOL) :hug::hug:

Latest posts

Back