LA Tan too light

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanfastic

Reaction score
Hi Geeks, I have been using LA Tan for quite a while and if anything it used to be too dark on some clients at first. Anyway, it all went well for ages but just recently I have had a two clients tell me that they werent dark enough and the tan faded really fast. My solution was bought just before Christmas so nearing its "use by" date but it looks and smells fine. It seems to be the 12%, I tanned a girl with the 10% a few days ago and she is over the moon.

Could it be that it is past it's use by date? I opened the 12% on the 14th of December and I only opened the 10% on the 5th of January so it is "fresher" than the 12%

They both prepared well for their tans and say they followed the aftercare. My husband saw one of the clients and told me she didn't look tanned at all to him, to me she did as I knew how pale she was before but tbh I did think she should have been more tanned.

I have never had this before with a solution losing its "bite" any other suggestions as to why this is happening with the 12% which is usually a great color and my most popular

I am offering them both another tan and knocking £5.00 off the price as a goodwill gesture. One is being tanned on Monday and the other in a fortnight. I will use a new bottle just to be sure.

Have I answered my own question?

Any suggestions would be appreciated,maybe tips on what to look for when your solution is ready to be thrown out,or the way it reacts when it is too old?

Have you done others peoples tans using the same bottle of solution? I have a had this with 1 or 2 clients now and again, even when I have sprayed them as I always have and they say they haven't done anything different before their tan. I then checked up with other clients that I sprayed same day and theirs were fine and I even had a spray tan with same solution which was as normal too. I just put it down to their hormones or something or maybe they did something they don't normally do and never realised! You've done the right thing offering discount off the next one, I did this too as I think it keeps it professional and clients happy.

Really not sure whether I'll help with this BUT.....friends of mine have gone to the same salon for years and always had LA tan, one of them almost every week in life! They are now all saying similar stuff to you and have decided not to go anymore. We can only speculate that the owner has maybe changed the brand of tan yet she denies this. I try to stay out of it as I am now in the same industry but I have found it really interesting as my friends were all so baffled by this. Since I opened my salon I have also had customers comment about this exact situation with LA Tan. Just think it's all a bit strange really so wanted to feed it back but don't want to put the cat amongst the pigeons!

Thanks for your replies, I havent sprayed others with the same solution at around the same time so I cant compare....but I did spray myself a couple of days earlier and I wasn't too pleased either but assumed that becuause I havent sprayed myself for a while It might have just been me doing a bad job on my own tan. I have sprayed myself again and still dont feel brown enough. One of the clients had a 10% tan from me in December as she had never had one before and didn't want to look silly. I suggested the 10% as it was mid winter and she is quite fair so a healthy glow would be great. SHe liked it but did say she wished it was darker, hence me spraying her with a 12% this time. I feel bad for her really, I told her she would be really brown and she isn't really.

Interesting about your friends having similar experiences though.

Bumpety bump?

It's weird you say this, I've just got 2litres of la tan last week, I sprayed 2 different clients with the 12% and the same, their tan hardly showed! Ives used la for a while now and not had this problem? I thought my gun may have been set too low, or I didn't shake the bottle enough? Be interesting to see if anyone else has had the same problem x

I asked the ever helpful guru Baggybear about this as I just started with LA. I used 10% on my husband - gorgeous colour but he's naturally tanned.
12% on my friend and it was ok - she said it wasn't as dark as expected.
Then a 12% on a customer/friend and she didn't look particularly tanned the next day.
I did 18%!on a client and she was c dark when I left but in the after wash off pics she sent me, I was really dissappointed with the lack of colour.

Strange! I thought maybe it was me being a newbie but maybe not.

Definitely something strange going on! Worth making a call to them don't you think? xx

I might give them a call today and see what they say, has anyone else called them about this? I need to get more solution anyway as it is nearing it's use by date. I will probably nip down to Capital for some Sunless Solutions, my tan is not dark at all and usually a 12% on me looks as if I have just returned from holiday in Malta LOL, at the moment it looks like a week in Damp and grey Norfolk with the odd day of sunshine

Definitely something strange going on! Worth making a call to them don't you think? xx

Great minds hey, if I didn't go into essay mode AGAIN I would have beaten you to the draw :lol:

Lol I'm ALWAYS in essay mode but phone started ringing! Let us all know how it goes....fascinated by this as it's been such a reliable tan previously! x

I have just called them and spoke to a very helpful young lady. She is getting on to the Bio Chemist for a report and she will get back to me as soon as she gets a reply so I will keep you geeks posted.

I used 12% LA Tan sample on a customer as i'd run out of my usual 12%. She reported patchy tan the following day. I blamed myself for using a sample i hadn't tried on myself & learnt a lesson from this. I've heard such lovely things on here about LA Tan, i felt confident using it, but afterwards i doubted this, but felt confused. Maybe i was correct after all :confused:????

As I'm a newbie to tanning and LA, can you guys advise? This is 18% Disco. Guide colour gorgeous and dark but after wash off seems so light?? Prep was as should be as was my technique (I feel).
My lady doesn't tan well naturally so do u think this could be the reason??

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1339201483.677542.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1339201483.677542.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 714
I use LA Tan and as far as I know I haven't had any problems. I've texted a few newer clients afterwards and they've been really pleased with the results. I use 10% for at least 90% of my tans. My regulars haven't mentioned any problems.

My solutions are very new though as I usually go through at least a couple of bottles every four weeks to six weeks.

Will see if my Hubby can tan me tonight so I have see for myself!

Actually, having given this some thought I have noticed that the guide colour has been a lot less scary dark recently on my clients.

At the moment it seems to be the 12% that is causing the problems. The 10% seems great, have a look under the bottle there is a tiny little sticker with a number on which is the batch number) I wonder if all our pale tans come from the same batch.

The number on mine is 21402, any one else have the same number?

Im having the same problem with the last few tans i have done. People are coming back saying its not as dark as it is usually. Have you heard anything back from the company?

I'd be really interested to hear what the company's feedback to you is?

I've noticed that even if I've used soap to wash me in the shower before I use LA Tanning it doesnt develop into such a rich tan. Another thing is I've noticed the tan develops hugely even after your first rinse after your spray tan.

Ive been using LA for a long time now and I have recently found some clients saying they are not as dark and the trend seems to be the 12% not many though only 2 or 3. I have checked my batch and it is 26552. I dont feel ive had enough comments to put it down to the solution yet but I will keep you posted.

Latest posts

Back