Lacking waxing confidence

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angela Louise

Reaction score
Hi every1 I’m new on here but have read so many positive and helpful comments that decided to join I done a 1 day warm waxing course then a 1 day intimate waxing course I thoroughly enjoyed this and really want to do it for a living but I have no confidence and struggle to get people to practice on I feel like I need a few weeks somewhere to help practice but cannotfind anything would appreciate advice thanku

Hello I have also just been on a warm waxing course, have you done any kind of offer? I am offering half price waxing for a month or so to get me going and had a bit of interest from doing that, which part is it that you dont feel confident in? X

Hi I just feel a 1day course has not given me what I need and feel too scared to offer anything in case I can’t do it I have had flyers printed offering £5 per treatment but actually worried about doing people x

Melissa did u do a 1 day course having never done anything like it b4 ? X

Hi I just feel a 1day course has not given me what I need and feel too scared to offer anything in case I can’t do it I have had flyers printed offering £5 per treatment but actually worried about doing people x

If you are worried, just imagine how worried they are visiting someone for a £5 wax. Forget about the prices for a minute, advertise it with the benefits of waxing. It’s all sales. You can be smooth for...you can forget shaving...summer smoothie...

Once you are actually waxing as long as you are methodical and start at the outside and work your way in or at the bottom and work your way up, it will end eventually just keep talking to them if it makes you more comfortable. You know exactly what you are doing!

Thank you I am going to be more positive and get going

If you only did one day of training for each type of wax then I'm not surprised you don't feel ready to do clients.
If you were on say a level 2 beauty college course then you would spend 3-4 hours a week for 12 weeks before being allowed to practice on clients under supervision. Each week you learn how to wax a different part of the body.
Students then have to be assessed (watched) working on 6 or more clients to pass the unit. Written work also has to be submitted.

My suggestion would be to spend the next couple of months practising on family and friends on all the different body areas to really get your technique and speed up. Make sure you work on different ages too as it varies greatly with stretching the skin.

Practice, practice!

Did your training accredit you so that you can get professional insurance?

I did yes but I have trained with hd brows previously, never any warm waxing, i have advertised half price waxing for a month and each time I do it I am getting quicker and learning more and more, what wax are you using? Have u done any models yet? X

I did my course at Sally’s and they said insurance wouldn’t be a problem .
I’m using salon services cream wax and I did my friend a couple of weeks ago took me hours to do full leg and bikini
I now know 1 day is not enough but cannot find anything in Leicestershire for waxing training other than 1 day. My partner has just started his own business in something he has been doing for many years so went straight in and I feel like I’m taking ages and letting every1 in my family down but feeling lots of pressure he keeps saying I just need to go out and get people otherwise I won’t get better but I don’t want to do it wrong

I did my course at Sally’s and they said insurance wouldn’t be a problem .
I’m using salon services cream wax and I did my friend a couple of weeks ago took me hours to do full leg and bikini
I now know 1 day is not enough but cannot find anything in Leicestershire for waxing training other than 1 day. My partner has just started his own business in something he has been doing for many years so went straight in and I feel like I’m taking ages and letting every1 in my family down but feeling lots of pressure he keeps saying I just need to go out and get people otherwise I won’t get better but I don’t want to do it wrong

Don’t feel like you’re letting anyone down. Everyone has to start somewhere. I’m a mobile therapist, only started in the new year. Some weeks I’m busy every day, other weeks (last week for example) I had one eyebrow wax and that’s it! Everyone I’ve spoken to says it takes time to build up a client base so I’m not too worried.

I would suggest trying to get as much experience as you can though to build your confidence and get your timings right, you may have to just do friends/family at cost price for now. You won’t make a profit but you won’t lose anything and it will be worth it in the end. You will not be able to make a living if a leg wax is taking you more than an hour.

Good luck xx

Waxing is a skill that does take practice and time. Like learning to drive, and you get better with time. I found when I was training that waxing my own legs ect helped me develop application and removal. Get family and friends to model for you as you will feel less pressure. Good luck :)

My husband is always the most unfortunate of my "models" I mean let's face it there is no better challenge that mens hairy legs!
Angela I would get your hubbie on the couch so that he can see how hard you are trying. The pain he feels will make him realise how difficult it really is for a new starter. Especially as you are trying to eliminate the pain by waxing quickly.
I had my mum and 2 sisters as my models, years back and my older sister has never forgiven me for her first underarm wax being so agonisingly painful. That was 36 years ago ....she really says she remembers the pain. " mard arse" my mother said as we burst out laughing at her!!!
You have got to start somewhere so be brave and get him on the couch!

have you done anyone today ?
RosieR

Thanks Rosie
I have done my partners back and he came up in spots for a couple of weeks I will keep trying to get people and see if I can get some more training

I know it is hard when you first start but don't give up. You will get there. Could you do his legs ? A more classic area to get used to?

Hi. I know this would cost more money but it might help you to do another course elsewhere. If you went to someone like Kim Lawless I can pretty much guarantee you would feel confident when you left. It is still only a day course for general and one day for intimate but her courses are very highly regarded and she is a great teacher.
Also you might want to try some different waxes to see if there is one you feel more comfortable using. Maybe contact peron rigot or outback organics and ask them if they can send you some samples.
As far as the £5 waxing goes I really wouldn't recommend it. I'll be honest, id be really worried about getting a wax for £5. It would totally put me off.
Have a think about investing in some further training though as although it will cost you more upfront it will pay for itself in no time once you've got your confidence.
X

Thank you everyone this site is so helpful and every1 really nice more training is defo what I want but struggling to find as think I would like more than a day

Please don't forget that quality is better than quantity. One or two fantastic days of training is better than 6 months of poor training x

I think with any one day/two day training courses you really need to have the bodies to practice on once completed. Perhaps put a small advert together, print it out several times and ask for models to get your speed up. Make sure you advertise that you are fully qualified and just looking to get your timings up. Ask friends and family who work to put the notice up in their staff room or elsewhere. I personally wouldn’t charge anything, but you could ask to cover the cost of product but it might be better to put it all down to necessary expense which you’ll benefit from soon. Have a list ready with dates and hopefully people will contact you.

I have done 3 months of waxing on my hnd course and one day definitely isn't enough. I rented a room in a salon where I think the owner might have done a day wax course I have no idea as she had no qualifications on display. This woman burnt me no idea how many other clients would have had the same experience. Definitely practice is needed we learned all about the stages of hair growth etc. I have experience in salons and you do need people to practice on. I am confident in straight waxing and have undergone a one day training course in intimate waxing and I do need the practice as one day is sometimes too quick as trying to remember all that was taught is a nightmare. After course its probably best to do as many clients as possible but unfortunately for me I was in the process of renovating my salon so not feeling confident myself although I am fine with the warm wax. Might need to do a special offer or something for more experience.

Latest posts

Back