Lactose Intolerant help needed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spray 2 Go

Independent Geek!
Reaction score
I am guessing by process of elimination that I have become Lactose Intolerent.

Does anyone have any helpful advice here as it has completely turned my eating habits upside down!

Went out for a meal today and told the manager of the restaurant that I need to have dairy free meal - mmmmm they substituted the bechamel sauce for a red wine one but the veggies came out covered in melted butter which we sent back but didn't realise the spinach under my steak was bound with butter too! Needless to say I was not very well after eating that :-(

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry to hear that Mandy:hug:

I don't have any advice I'm afraid, but if I find anything in my books I will let you know. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Looking forward to seeing you at GMEX

Hi
It can be difficult when eating out trying to find dairy free food - as it's in all kinds of stuff you wouldn't dream of!!
But when shopping, you can obtain a list from most major supermarkets which gives you details of all their own brands of casein free alternatives. Sainsburys is pretty good with lots of Soya products (their dairy free ice cream is very nice) and tesco have quite a rage too.

Hi

My neice is lactose intorolant aswell. She has to avoid all dairy products which as you say is tricky. She drinks soya milk and uses a butter substitue called pure which you can get from most supermarkets.

For cakes and things which have milk in them she has to bake her own. There are also some milk free chocolates out there but I think you need to hunt. Try looking in your local health food shop or search the web. She gets hers from a small newsagents in Wisbeach so Im not to sure where else they sell them.

Hi there my litle boy is dairy free he use pure range and the tecos free from range. It is a case of eating lots of fruit and veg and exchanging soya products for dairy ones. You can get soem ideads from the dietician at the local hospital. there is dairy free cheese and dairy free cheese sauce so although you may ahve to eat at home more often at least youc an still eat proper meals. Hopefully in time you will be able to reintroduce dairy into your life again in small quantaties.. But ahve to say Holland and barett and tescos are very good.

Good luck hun
HTH

My son has the same problem, He has soya milk to drink, dairy free carob chocalate, you can get dairy free yogurts too. I would ring your local hospital and ask if they could send you out a dairy free food list :cool:

My daughter who is now 17 was born with lactose intollerance. She had to have soya baby milk and then moved on to other soya products later on. However when she was about 5 I read about a tablet that you could take before eating products with lactose in and it stopped you getting the awful pains and sickness that often accompanies this condition. The tablest are colled Lactaid and you can buy them from Boots the chemist. The pharmacist used to order them for me. These tablets totally transformed her life and eating problems. If she was going to eat something that contained milk, she would just take a tablet before it and then eat the item, and no problems arose. They also come in liquid form so if you like milk on your cornflakes you just put a few drops in the milk bottle and hey presto the milk was tollerable.

If you need any more information, then please feel free to PM me. Oh an also when she was 9 I worked for my local GP and read an article in the Lancet that expalined how you can wean yourself out of being Lactose intollerant. I went through that program with her and a year later she was totally cured and can now have milk products.

Hey guys

You have all been so helpful thank you very much! It has not been an easy one to start to get to grips with as you can well imagine!

I have been to Sainsbury's and they have very kindly printed off a list of 61 pages of suitable products which they stock.....the worst of all that I have just tasted is their bread......yeauch!!!! Even the dogs nearly choked on it as is it so foul!

Some items are great others I guess may take an acquired taste!

The Lactaid tablet sounds very interesting I must say - will try it out and see if that helps as I cannot imagine life without a cream cake here and there lol!!!!!

Thanks again for your helpful advice guys, will let you know how I get on!

Kind regards

Mandy x

Spray 2 Go said:
Hey guys

You have all been so helpful thank you very much! It has not been an easy one to start to get to grips with as you can well imagine!

I have been to Sainsbury's and they have very kindly printed off a list of 61 pages of suitable products which they stock.....the worst of all that I have just tasted is their bread......yeauch!!!! Even the dogs nearly choked on it as is it so foul!

Some items are great others I guess may take an acquired taste!

The Lactaid tablet sounds very interesting I must say - will try it out and see if that helps as I cannot imagine life without a cream cake here and there lol!!!!!

Thanks again for your helpful advice guys, will let you know how I get on!

Kind regards

Mandy x

If you've got time, patience and a breadmaker - your better off makig your own. I used to make gluten free bread, t tasted so much better than hard stuff you buy and worked out a lot cheaper

Suzi

Can you send me some recipies please! I bought a breadmaker years ago and it has been kept in a cupboard ever since I moved!

I love the smell and taste of homemade bread.

Many thanks

Mandy

Hi - I will have a look for my book, I got my recipes from Allergy and Autism book but haven't used it for about 5 years! My breadmaker too is lurking in the back of the cupboard as my son is no longer on gluten/dairy free diet. Anyway in the meantime try this
http://www.swallowtail.org/nondairy/whitebread.shtml

I used to buy all my ingredients from barbaras kitchen and she would do all the recipes for me

try www.barbaraskitchen.co.uk
or http://freespace.virgin.net/barbaras.kitchen/index.htm

Hope this helps

I'm lactose intollerant to, found out at the beginning of the year. All I can say is welcome to reading every sodding wrapper, getting fed up of the boring selection of what you can and can't eat!

Actually there is a good side to it, since I have cut out dairy and can't stand soya I have lost weight and eat so much more healthy :) Just beware of the dairy free products as they are usually more fattening. I also found the chocolate is gross tastes like very cheap choc, unfortuantely its not cheap!

Eating out is a pain in the arse! I usually flutter my eyelashes at the waiter and he takes pity on me and makes sure it works out well!!!

If you want to moan about it, ask for help or anything pm me.

Good luck and its really worth cutting it out for the sake of no tummy aches or being bloated!

Stacey, take the Lactaid pills, then you can eat what you want without any pain and bloatedness.

Just one thing to add guys...

If your kids are lactose/dairy intolerant, although soya is an excellent substitution, it contains alot of natural hormones. This means that if they are continuously having soya, it could interfere with the time of the month (girls only of course) or hormones of both sexes when they're older.

Both my husband and daughter are lactose intolerant. We use goats milk and butter at home, both available from Sainsbury's. They also have goats yogurt which is lovely and creamy with honey or fruit mixed in it.

Many if you haven't yet been tested, Holland and Barrat have an allergy testing scheme, it's called the Vega test (dunno if I spelt that right) and it costs around £45.

Georgie. xx

Cameo Val said:
Stacey, take the Lactaid pills, then you can eat what you want without any pain and bloatedness.

Thanks will try this, Where do you get them from? I search on the internet but didn't come up with anything.

Monkeystails said:
Just one thing to add guys...

If your kids are lactose/dairy intolerant, although soya is an excellent substitution, it contains alot of natural hormones. This means that if they are continuously having soya, it could interfere with the time of the month (girls only of course) or hormones of both sexes when they're older.

Both my husband and daughter are lactose intolerant. We use goats milk and butter at home, both available from Sainsbury's. They also have goats yogurt which is lovely and creamy with honey or fruit mixed in it.

Many if you haven't yet been tested, Holland and Barrat have an allergy testing scheme, it's called the Vega test (dunno if I spelt that right) and it costs around £45.

Georgie. xx

Thanks Georgie, thats great advice, I think I will go along and check that out at Holland and Barrat as it is a pain knowing what I can and cannot eat without becoming pretty poorly after eating the wrong thing!.

I do have to say how impressed I was with the chef at the Hotel Princess on Portland in Manchester, he cooked some special meals without any ingredients contaning lactose and they were truly wonderful!

I have been trying to find Lactaid though through many chemists and so far no one stocks it, any ideas where I can get hold it?

hey there, try logging on to the Kevala web site www.kevala.com its a college but it has a forum that is dedicated to nutritional therapists, we are all students or qualified and very glad to help. If you are unable to get into it try e-mailing them and they will forward you onto someone to help.

If i get chance i will get back to you with some info im just a bit hectic at pres with about a million and one exams but ill do my best.

Good luck x

Latest posts

Back