Landlord banning a client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NailsXpress

Reaction score
My landlord and the hairdresser have fallen out with a client of mine. It has nothing to do with the salon, it’s over my clients son renting the flat above the salon. The hairdresser was a friend of my client for 40 years, but because of a problem with the the flat, they have all fallen out.
I’ve just received a message saying that both the landlord and the hairdresser don’t want my client in the salon anymore.
How do I stand on this?
She’s my client, she hasn’t done anything wrong to me and her son is going to be moving out after Christmas.
She has two more bookings with me so I’ll have a loss of earnings. I could also book her in on Saturdays as the hairdresser doesn’t work on Saturdays, so they don’t have to meet.
What should I do, it’s driving me crazy.

That's insane and totally unprofessional. Firstly I would point out the solution you have already mentioned as your client would probably prefer to avoid potential confrontation with the hairdresser anyway at the moment.
Secondly, business is business and you are paying rent for the benefit of receiving clients at the venue. If your landlord restricts this then it should be reflected in the amount of rent you pay. Calculate your loss of earnings per annum and request a rent reduction for this amount to cover it.
The only other possibility I can think of (other than finding somewhere less volatile to work) is to offer to visit your client at home till it all blows over, let the others know you are only going to accommodate their personal whims for a set amount of time before returning to normal and request their agreement, in writing of possible.
Being sent a message rather than having a face to face discussion is pretty poor, you should ask for a meeting with your landlord to put forward your business point of view.
Good luck with it, I hope the situation diffuses soon!

Thank you Alison. I’m having sleepless nights over it now. I can’t go to her house as there isn’t enough time between appointments at the moment, at this time of year. I haven’t even got space to move her next two appointments so they don’t clash. I’ve even tried asking people to swap their appointments over but it’s jyst not possible. I’m hoping they will calm down and let me do her next two appointments here, even if I do them in my beauty room, out of the way, rather than in the main salon area. Then in the new year have her in on Saturdays only. I’ll speak to the landlord and try to reach a resolution over it all. God it’s so annoying having to deal with childish behaviour from adults. Thank you again Alison. Have an amazing Christmas.

Thank you Alison. I’m having sleepless nights over it now. I can’t go to her house as there isn’t enough time between appointments at the moment, at this time of year. I haven’t even got space to move her next two appointments so they don’t clash. I’ve even tried asking people to swap their appointments over but it’s jyst not possible. I’m hoping they will calm down and let me do her next two appointments here, even if I do them in my beauty room, out of the way, rather than in the main salon area. Then in the new year have her in on Saturdays only. I’ll speak to the landlord and try to reach a resolution over it all. God it’s so annoying having to deal with childish behaviour from adults. Thank you again Alison. Have an amazing Christmas.

I couldn’t agree more with previous reply. Wanted to add...your landlord - you can tell him he needs to back off.

You have your clients. It’s not in your contract that you can’t have x client in so its none of his business of this lady is there. If anything your landlord should be grateful that he’s getting paid by this woman effectively. But of course, keeping the peace is important to maintain a good relationship so you don’t lose your premises.

You are within your rights to have your client in your salon, yes it’s probably a good idea to book her when this person isn’t around. But your hairdresser needs a chat. Your rules at the end of the day. Of course, if she’s very anxious at the thought of the woman being there you have to think of her too but just sounds like she’s jumping on the bandwagon. We all have clients that might make us feel a bit uncomfortable and we do it anyway. If anyone is to feel uncomfortable it’s the client, she’s the important one. The fact she’s still coming in with this going on says a lot about you and your business. Good on you!

BUT your landlord should absolutely not be hanging about anyway. Mine used to loiter outside my old home and once arrived at 9am on a Sunday and came in without permission while I was in a nightie. It’s actually harassment if they are on the premises without doing an inspection or have a pre arranged meeting.

He shouldn’t even know if this woman is there because he shouldn’t be there. There will be samples of letters to write about asking him to notify you with x days notice before arriving.

According to the law, your landlord must give you ‘reasonable notice.’ Which means 24hrs.

If he’s not around then don’t worry, he isn’t going to be showing up like ooh maybe I can catch her out. But if he is send him packing.

Latest posts

Back