Landlord messing around!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I had recently started renting a room within a nail salon in which to run my beauty business and the landlord had told me she would have a key to the building ready for me to move things in. This was not the case. I was told that they had attempted to get keys cut for me and that none of them work and that they have tried multiple places to have them cut with no success. I was then told to borrow one of the staff members keys and go and get it cut myself. I was a bit annoyed at that as surely that is not my responsibility and it is up to the salon owner renting the room to me to get sorted. However, I really needed to get my equipment moved in and really needed the key. So I tried different key cutting shops in the area and paid to have multiple keys cut from them and again, none of them worked! I told the owner and she just said "oh that's a nightmare, please try someone else local to you instead and see if it works" so as frustrated as I was, I drove to yet another shop and got them to cut it and thankfully this key finally did work! But I spent roughly £15 on keys that do not work just to finally get one that did. I was then sent a Facebook message from the owner of the salon a week later asking me for £300 to pay a plumber to come in and get a water connection for her pedicure chair that is in the room I was renting! She said it is actually £600 but that she doesn't mind going halfers with me! I said no, the chair belongs to you not me, and when I came to view this room you told me that it was fully functioning and if I wanted to use it, it was included in the price of my rent but if I did not want it, it could be removed. I then asked her to please remove the chair as I cannot use it and it is taking up quite a large amount of space in the room that I could really be doing with. Her reply was no, I don't have room for it anywhere else so it has to stay!!! I then was told that I needed to arrange two locks for my room door (there were two enterences to the one room) and again, I was baffled by that as when I first viewed the room, she told me that there were locks on the door already and that I could change them if I wanted) turns out there are no locks atall and surely that would be her responsibility to arrange. I said I don't know of any locksmiths in the area and it would be too expensive to have my local travel up to the salon to do it and could she please arrange someone local to do that. She said she would contact the man that did the locks before and said he was cheap and that she would get back to me when he replies. She also started asking me for rent money at odd times previous to all of this and I then said I would like a contract as we didn't agree to anything she's asking for (I already had my deposit and rent paid) and she said she would have one for the start of last week! I heard nothing atall after that and contacted her to ask had she heard anything about the locks and the contract yet and she ignored the part about the contract but said the locks would be £100! I then said I wouldn't be paying that money and explained that it was understood that locks were already being provided to me only to be told once I paid hundreds of pounds in rent and deposit money that I had to sort those out myself and that when you are renting, locks would be standard. Also told her that I had spent £15 odd on getting a front door key cut which again, should have been sorted out for me starting and that I shouldn't have been asked for £300 to pay to have HER pedicure chair fixed. I said it all in a polite manner and asked what we were going to do about the locks and she sent me a message and told me that it isn't going to work out and to leave!!! So I am now left high and dry with no job and have now to move everything out of the shop after I was only just finished moving in!! I would really appreciate any advice on this situation, I know I should have got everything in writing to begin with but surely it is a landlords responsibility to pay for and arrange basic things like locks and keys and also that it's not the tennents responsibility to pay for any equipment they are not even using nor do they own??

All advice welcome,

Thanks

As a landlord.
I would pay to get the keys cut.
I would make sure the room has what I advertised it had. Eg a sink etc.
If I rent a room to someone, that room would not have someone else's equipment in there and I would not let someone else use the room, it's the tenants only.

If the tenant wanted something special in the room, eg a hand dryer, they I would expect them to pay for it tbh.

With renting you'll get good and bad tenants, it's a landlords job to vet them and ask questions etc to determine if they will be suitable.

You also get bad landlords, that are only out to rip you off for the most money possible, pass every bill back on to you so they don't have to pay.

I would you at it as a lucky escape, once you would have started trading it would be harder to leave, put it down to experience GL

I am sorry to hear about your nightmare situation, not really advice but sounds like you are better off out of the situation, I hope you can find somewhere more suitable with a reasonable landlord, wishing you lots of luck

If she hasn't returned your money, make a claim through the county court (small claims).
Sounds like a narrow escape and as others have said, at least you're weren't established there.

Lesson learnt, next time, get a contract first before you hand over any money!

What a nightmare Landlord! Really sorry to hear that. At least it happened before you were up and running.

Agree with the all the advice above and you'll soon find a 'real' rental room; and forget this stressful time!

Latest posts

Back