Landlords

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinju

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanted to ask if any salon owners have had bad experience with the landlord. I haven’t been lucky so far, at first they seems really good and accommodating. As we progress further into signing the lease, they become really difficult. It will be good to know if it’s this is part and parcel of opening a salon?

Many thanks
Xx

Hi All,

Just wanted to ask if any salon owners have had bad experience with the landlord. I haven’t been lucky so far, at first they seems really good and accommodating. As we progress further into signing the lease, they become really difficult. It will be good to know if it’s this is part and parcel of opening a salon?

Many thanks
Xx
Haven’t had trouble as such however i’ve been in my new property a year now and none of the jobs that he was supposed to finish have been done!! I think he’s forgotten and i’ve been too busy to remind him... so thank you! I will email him this weekend!! Apart from that I’ve been lucky I think. What are they getting difficult with? Is it legal stuff with the lease? X

Thank you for the reply. He seemed ok at first and everything he was saying seemed too good to be true. The shop is in a state of disrepair but the scale is very good. Which I don’t mind. I asked him to remove the bulky items from the shop - at first he said NO but later on he said we can do something about it. He has given me 2 months rent free, which he says is a big favour. I know it isn’t as all landlords give 2 to 3 months rent free. Also he doesn’t have a solicitor and wants me to draft the lease, so the burden of finance is upon me. He is in his 70s and maybe the legal paperwork scares him. I am not sure.

Also with Brexit just round the corner- I am not even sure if it’s a good idea to open the shop in these unpredictable times. Any thoughts on this ?

Many thanks

Personally, just my humble 2p worth, regardless of brexit, I wouldn’t be opening a salon in this industry.

Not saying they can’t be profitable but it’s crazy hard to make work and most go under/downsize to work from home.

Most successful ones have been around for many many years and are established and even they can have hiccups.

I looked into opening one myself as a business venture however the ROI isn’t there for me - again, just my opinion.

I always believe strongly in ‘you work on your business, not in your business’. Most salon owners have to work in their business just to make the sums work.

Latest posts

Back