Laser hair removal and IPL?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elemisgeek

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone explain the difference between Ipl and laser hair removal. I have quite a few ladies asking for hair removal and didn't know much about either ipl or laser hair?

Would really appreciate your advice

Thanks

The difference is artificial - IPL machines are manufactured and have settings mostly marketed for beauty therapists (some for medics too), laser machines have the whole range of power outputs so that they are used for everything by doctors (from hair removal to medical treatments).

edit: to answer your clients, you just say to use whatever suits them best as it'll depend on their skin and hair type.

Sorry but that's just not true, they both work in the exact same way (it's not different technology as that page says). IPL was invented to get around regulations for laser in the 1990s, which meant you didn't have to be a doctor to use them. Over the years manufacturers have restricted what IPL machines can do to keep the doctors happy (which they still aren't really). If IPL works for you then there's no point paying more for laser. I would only say to someone to have laser if IPL didn't work, or if they had a medical issue.

Hi,

Can anyone explain the difference between Ipl and laser hair removal. I have quite a few ladies asking for hair removal and didn't know much about either ipl or laser hair?

Would really appreciate your advice

Thanks

Hi I use a Skinfirst system.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have both in the clinic I work at. We found ipl does not give the greatest results in hair removal but does reduce hair also IPL is better for skin rejuvenation and other things regarding skin, we now use our IPL machines as a skin rejuvenation and fungle treatment . Also IPL is a scattered frequency so the energy is not direct on the hair it's targeting. Many clients have came to us for laser hair removal from having IPL as it just didn't give them permeant hair reduction

The reverse is also true, laser doesn't work for some people or burns them so they find IPL effective instead. As I said before, the difference is artificial (the manufacturers make different machines or restricted machines for beauty therapists). They both heat up the targeted area. You could make an IPL do exactly the same treatment as a laser, but manufacturers don't do that for insurance/qualifications purposes.

Actually the article by the private clinic is spot on.
We have had usage of both, and there is simply no comparison between and IPL/MPL/any other PL machine (99% of the groupon offerings are IPL machines), diode lasers (Soprano) and heavy duty laser like a Nd:YAG laser machine (most insurers will not allow on a standard policy and they normally cost more than double for the likes of Candela/ Cynosure/Fotona), which is the only optimum laser for skin types 3 to 6, and in effect the only one that can be used effectively for all skin types.
Yes the other ones can be used also, but they are not as effective, in that they are limited in the power that can be used on all skin types.

You can run a 1.3 Ford Fiesta on a grand prix track, and it will run but it doesn't mean it is as effective!

It took time but we eventually read past the hard sell (Skinfirst came around also claiming everything under the Sun and we spoke to some of their owners which was revealing in itself), spoke to customers who used them, spoke to the owners of IPL and Soprano machines, and most importantly researched findings of medical professionals (many of which are online) and read the American FDA approval comments, and their is a huge difference in the ability to offer the treatments optimally and safely between IPL derivative / Diode machines which are in effect light bulbs and a Nd:YAG laser machine - the only real laser

Last edited:
That's like saying no one should have paracetamol because tramadol is better for pain. IPL is perfectly adequate for most people, laser is for those who don't respond to it. And I mentioned above already, IPL machines are deliberately kept at lower strengths than laser for artificial reasons. It's possible for an IPL machine to be made at higher strengths for medical use, but the industry likes to keep them separate (which is probably for the best).

That's like saying no one should have paracetamol because tramadol is better for pain. IPL is perfectly adequate for most people, laser is for those who don't respond to it. And I mentioned above already, IPL machines are deliberately kept at lower strengths than laser for artificial reasons. It's possible for an IPL machine to be made at higher strengths for medical use, but the industry likes to keep them separate (which is probably for the best).

Nope it's not like saying this or that at all. If something is better for most - then it's better

Nor is IPL is perfectly adequate for "most people" when it comes to laser hair removal, apart from skin rejuvenation for which it is.

Nor is the "artificial conspiracy theory" you are sprouting carry any solid ground, for you are using a completely different instrument (light bulbs) to compare another instrument (a real laser).

Considering we have had usage of both as have had others in this thread and stated in unison, that IPL is not as good as an Nd:YAG laser for all skin types, and considering every major independent medical study (Google it!) and medical opinion states my stance (Another Google It!), your argument does not hold much grain of truth.

Are you taking the mick?

I think its unfair to imply that IPL is a light bulbs, that's really scaremongering.

I have both treatments of Laser and IPL in my salon.

To the OP, the wavelengths are different frequencies, and the side affects for both have pros and cons. They BOTH work essentially, granted they wont be suitable for everyone, but that can easily be determined by a number of factors with includes, skin typing, medical history, hormonal imbalances. Even if you had they right skin type, you will still not be able to treat white, red or the blonde hairs due to it being ineffective. The both classified as permanent hair reduction and the only method for permanent hair removal is electrolysis which will treat any hair colour and any skin type.

Also if anyone is unsure please look at the technical spec, as it gives the boundary of where it is in on the spectrum of light- it will show the wavelengths (nm) that it reaches the energy output (j-cm2) and the pulse length (nm) these are in essence the most important variable factors when choosing a machine. hths xoxo

I think its unfair to imply that IPL is a light bulbs, that's really scaremongering.

I have both treatments of Laser and IPL in my salon.

To the OP, the wavelengths are different frequencies, and the side affects for both have pros and cons. They BOTH work essentially, granted they wont be suitable for everyone, but that can easily be determined by a number of factors with includes, skin typing, medical history, hormonal imbalances. Even if you had they right skin type, you will still not be able to treat white, red or the blonde hairs due to it being ineffective. The both classified as permanent hair reduction and the only method for permanent hair removal is electrolysis which will treat any hair colour and any skin type.

Also if anyone is unsure please look at the technical spec, as it gives the boundary of where it is in on the spectrum of light- it will show the wavelengths (nm) that it reaches the energy output (j-cm2) and the pulse length (nm) these are in essence the most important variable factors when choosing a machine. hths xoxo

Selective biased text reading considering

"The reverse is also true, laser doesn't work for some people or burns them so they find IPL effective instead." ..is implied scaremongering.

Truth is truth, they are high beam lightbulbs (Otherwise you do not know your own equipment) and it's not scaremongering > I keep saying Google it!

Selective biased text reading considering

"The reverse is also true, laser doesn't work for some people or burns them so they find IPL effective instead." ..is implied scaremongering.

Truth is truth, they are high beam lightbulbs (Otherwise you do not know your own equipment) and it's not scaremongering > I keep saying Google it!

How is what i wrote bias? The OP is looking at the differences between the two which i have constructively posted. Please don't misconstrue my words.

I'm implying that your usage of the word "light bulb" compared to a real laser- which now you like to refer to as a "high beam lightbulb" is scaremongering. The correct terminology is Lamp for both.

I finding this thread really dismissive to an entire industry where different machines suit different requirements. I'm not even on the discussion of medical vs beauty classification. Selective reading to support one's viewpoint vs the other in my opinion is not really a fair in fundamentally helping your clients find whats suitable for their needs. Everyone can read medical journals to help prove a hypothesis, I'm simply helping the OP know the difference- constructively. Good luck xoxo

So you'd fire an IPL into your eyes then beaulaser? Seeing as it's just a lightbulb?

How is what i wrote bias? The OP is looking at the differences between the two which i have constructively posted. Please don't misconstrue my words.

I'm implying that your usage of the word "light bulb" compared to a real laser- which now you like to refer to as a "high beam lightbulb" is scaremongering. The correct terminology is Lamp for both.

I finding this thread really dismissive to an entire industry where different machines suit different requirements. I'm not even on the discussion of medical vs beauty classification. Selective reading to support one's viewpoint vs the other in my opinion is not really a fair in fundamentally helping your clients find whats suitable for their needs. Everyone can read medical journals to help prove a hypothesis, I'm simply helping the OP know the difference- constructively. Good luck xoxo
IF you are going to constructive then be constructive not accuse others and but ignore your "mates" comments.

I work with both IPL and laser, both are brilliant in their own ways...Laser is much more effective for laser hair removal, whether it be diode, nd-yag, alexandrite...IPL is much better well suited to concerns such as skin rejuv, hyper-pigmentation and rosacea.....it's all to do with the energy output, lost energy, target chromophores and specific wavelengths that laser can offer as opposed IPL which is more limited.x

Yes a big conspiracy that made doctors lobby parliament to include IPL in any laser legislation, just for fun! By the way, why did Palomar sell their laser business Miss Laser Expert?

Ouch ouch ouch ....this makes very difficult reading for those of us with no knowledge, following hoping to learn something ????? Now I have no idea what to think at all. Thanks Hannahx for your input...it makes the easiest reading but I'm lost in truth !

Latest posts

Back