Lash and brow tint

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nat80

Reaction score
Are there any tints you know of which don’t recommend patch tests before every single treatment? I patch test all my clients every 4 months but I have realised that the tint I am using actually says that I should patch test before every single treatment even if they’ve been patch tested before. I’m a mobile therapist so obviously that is a bit inconvenient. Thanks guys x

I use refectocil, patch test every 6 months x

I have just had confirmation from Refectocil supplier that a patch test must be done before every treatment. It seems completely over the top and I don’t think clients will want to keep coming in just for a patch test. As long as you are testing after a long time of not having it done and before a first appointment, that seems completely fine. It’s what we have always done. Very frustrating..... Not sure I will continue with Refectocil which is disappointing..

WHAT?! I struggle getting most new clients in for a patch test regardless!

https://refectocil.uk/faq/ says
"We recommend an allergy test (Patch test) 48-72 hours before the first application as well as after long periods without tinting. "

"long periods" is a bit vague...

Thanks for letting me know, so disappointed

I have had a long messaging session with Refectocil just now. They continue to say that they ‘recommend‘ that we patch test before each treatment, but they have told me about three times that it is not a legal requirement. I really feel that a recommendation is not the same as a requirement - they are two different things. We should have specific guidelines on how to use the products. A recommendation is a suggestion, which insurance companies do not really follow. I think they would work on specifics. If we have to do a patch test for each client, each time, then say so! Refectocil shouldn’t be so vague. But from my messaging today, I think its clear for me that I would have to start doing it. So I might not use them from now on.... Not even sure I will continue with tinting.... Good luck everyone for April x

Hi. For any brand to expect a patch test before every treatment you would have to question the product stability and whether it should even be on the market.

As a manufacturer, every cosmetic product on the market must comply with UK/EU regs. This includes stability tests. A proper consultation and patch test in the first instance is vital. After first use, it would be strange if you needed repeated patch tests. Strangely enough, I just saw a new blog posted on this from a reputable brand. (not connected to us) Their advice is correct.

https://londonbrowcompany.com/blog/brow-lamination-patch-testing-dos-and-donts

Hi. For any brand to expect a patch test before every treatment you would have to question the product stability and whether it should even be on the market.

As a manufacturer, every cosmetic product on the market must comply with UK/EU regs. This includes stability tests. A proper consultation and patch test in the first instance is vital. After first use, it would be strange if you needed repeated patch tests. Strangely enough, I just saw a new blog posted on this from a reputable brand. (not connected to us) Their advice is correct.

https://londonbrowcompany.com/blog/brow-lamination-patch-testing-dos-and-donts
Thank you - its another way of looking at it. And apparently though, BABTAC have confirmed the same thing as Refectocil. Its a recommendation though, not a requirement, but we have to do it. Very confusing...

This is a very big question in the industry with hair colours / eyelash and brow tints. I have seen all suppliers in the last 5 years change to EVERY time and yet a lot of the hairdressing and beauty industry still say every (1 year or 6 months or 3 months etc). Our insurance says as long as we follow the recommended product / brands instructions then we are covered. So, we now test every client at least 48 hours before (no longer than 5 days) every colour application, if they can't come in we use ColourStarts (these can be mailed to clients as well but I think are only for hair colour). My main concern is that I do not want to allow the insurance company to get out of covering us. I still see the industry saying every 3 months now but I would rather be safe than sorry, it only takes 1 client to react and 1 insurance company to say they are not covering due to us not following the tint tube instructions. We also, get the clients to sign in a folder to say they have not reacted and are happy to have the colour service etc.

My friend uses refectocil, but says that lately she stopped liking them and she’s looking for a new brand

Latest posts

Back