Lash clients that need "breaks"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss Sylk

Reaction score
How many of you advise breaks from lash extensions or even lvl lash lifts?
I do advise it but they don't like it, so I let them have them until the lashes are quite poorly rather than regular breaks. Should I be making them have breaks after say 3-6 months rather than a year? What do you all do and when also how do your lash addicts take it?

I do LVL lash lift and have never told clients to take a break from the treatment and was never told on my training course that they should. I don't see why you would advise them to if you are applying the product as shown and advising the client on the correct after care.

Shelley X

I've only had one client who I have told to have a break from ee and that was after a year and was purely because she insisted on having a full set of 15mm each time and her lashes are only short and I couldn't discourage her so I said she would need to have breaks unless she took my advice and let me use graduated lashes. It was more scare tactics. She hated being without them (4 days lol) so agreed to listen to me and is now much happier with her lashes and won't be needing anymore breaks.
I don't think any clients should need a break as long as the lashes are applied properly and the client is following aftercare and advice.
Are you finding all your clients getting weak lashes or is it just one? Xx

I recommend it. I find clients want them longer and thicker, but as many of you lash techs know it can strain the lash/baby lash- on the clients that really shouldnt or cant handle them. Its really a general guideline to say look if your a picker, give a break of a couple of weeks and we'll take it from there.

Maybe you might agree, but when you've noticed some clients that have had lashes done elsewhere-with suga loads of clusters emersed in a thick coating of black glue, you know they have tried their best to take these lashes off, because you'll see a chunk missing! Straight up these people always need to be told of the strain, the removal, and the they proberly will need a mini break.

For the lash lifts, ive had client become addicted and want it every 4 weeks, but i insist on 6-8weeks minimal at least. xoxo

I was told in my training a break should be giving after 3 months for a week or two. But she did say you can only advise and cant make them

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I NEVER suggest breaks to my client.

If lashes are being correctly applied with careful isolation and a suitable length being applied the natural lash is never damaged. The normal lash cycle will just continue without premature loss or breakage.

It is also important to educate your clients. After all, we know what is best for their lashes in the long term.

I would rather have clients who have regular infills for years without a break than give clients too long extension which will damage their lash and require a break every few months.

This is where you get those clients who will moan to everyone "Lash Extensions RUINED my lashes"

For lash lifting, I don't do any more frequently than every 6-8 weeks but don't see that a break would be required

I completely agree with Elliebee, as with every treatment its the responsibility of the therapist to advise the client accordingly. Each treatment has a scope of options but if you feel that your clients wishes are beyond that, its necessary to inform your client about the risks and damages caused by this.
Some clients dont want to listen and will want it anyway but if you believe this would damage the natural lash/nail/hair or whatever the treatment is, then you should decline. This might sound hard but its not only in the best interest of the client but also your reputation as you dont want unhappy clients telling others that "you" ruined her lashes!

Totally agree with Elliebee, no breaks needed as long as the lash tech is applying correct length and thickness and isolation is adhered to.

Iv got clients that have had lashes continuously in excess of 2 years. One client recently had semi permanent eyeliner. The therapist removed my lashes and actually commented on how healthy her lashes were, she was quite surprised when my client said she had been having them for two years continuously.

No breaks needed, unless of course you're out to make a bit more money!!

In my area, i found loadsa clients have required breaks, and that is due to improper thickness and length. While i dont like moaning about other lash techs methods, alot in my area have used too much strain, when it comes to recify someone elses work, sometimes i think break is necessary.

Regular infills are a necessity, however when a client picks and removes it themselves. I think breaks are a must. Would you lash techs still work on a client if they were in need of a break? xoxo

I have had clients come to me with dreadful clumpy lashes and lots of gaps from other techs and I have removed them and told them to give them at least a week before applying new ones, and then not a full set or anything too long or thick. So yes, breaks needed when their lashes aren't up to scratch.
As for pickers...I don't have any as I am quite definite with all my clients that if they pick and pull their own lashes out I will refuse to give them anymore!

Lashes don't need a break. If they are applied correctly then they will just shed with the natural lash and then regular infills will keep them looking in top condition.
If you place lashes that are too heavy then of course the natural lashes will shed prematurely. So the simple solution is-don't place lashes that are too heavy for the natural lash.
If clients want longer thicker lashes that are going to wreck their own lashes then you just say no.
You are the professional and it's your reputation on the line.
You can make lashes look longer with staggered length lashes anyway.
I too have clients that have worn extensions for over 2 years and their natural lashes are absolutely fine.
LASHES DON'T NEED A BREAK!

I've had my lashes done for 2 years from Blinkin Gorgeous with no break and they are just the same condition as when I first went to her!!

I've had my lashes done for 2 years from Blinkin Gorgeous with no break and they are just the same condition as when I first went to her!!

They are indeed my lovely xx

I also have had many clients come to me, from substandard lash extensions elsewhere, with lashes that you may think were in need of a break.

I havent given them a break, I have lightened the lash, shortened the lash and nursed their natural lashes back to health with regular infills.

There is a picture of a client of mine which needed a gap bridging over on Show us your lashes thread. whereby Im sure you may have thought she needed a break, the gap was infact due to over use of eyelash curlers not extensions. 6 months later you should see her lashes, no gap whatsoever and an abundance of natural lashes.

So no, I dont think breaks are necessary, even when a client comes to me with damaged lashes, I know exactly how to look after the natural lash and encourage them to regain their strength and length whilst using lash extensions :lol:

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule x

Last edited:

Exactly...this just goes to show that if the lash tech is doing their job properly and the client is following aftercare then there is no reason for a break :)

I did say in my earlier post the only reason I had to was
A. Due to a client not listening to my advice and me having to stop her having them until she realised that I knew best, and
B. a new client coming to me with ruined lashes from another tech.

To the OP... If you are new to lashing I'm sure there's lots of things you can do to ensure your clients lashes stay in top condition, it's very much a steep learning curve once you get started! I'm sure if you have any questions we'd be happy to help? X

So am I letting them have thicker fuller lashes when theyre lashes can't handle them? Maybe it's time to suggest more natural lighter lashes.
I just cant see who could wear these 13mm 0.20 for 3 years solid without no break? Would you only ever use .25 15mm for party/ express lashes ? I wouldn't let anyone have them long term.
When there is a gap in natural lash do you piggy back the lashes each side too fill the gap? Doesn't that then put extra weight on those lashes?

So am I letting them have thicker fuller lashes when theyre lashes can't handle them? Maybe it's time to suggest more natural lighter lashes.
Definitely

I just cant see who could wear these 13mm 0.20 for 3 years solid without no break? Would you only ever use .25 15mm for party/ express lashes ? I wouldn't let anyone have them long term.
I don't think any of us who have longterm clients will be using lashes this long and heavy. Very few clients can take these sorts of lashes. Fullness is created by the AMOUNT of lashes applied. Not the thickness of lashes used. Personally, I never use 0.25 lashes.

When there is a gap in natural lash do you piggy back the lashes each side too fill the gap? Doesn't that then put extra weight on those lashes?
No, I don't piggyback to fill a gap. You would bridge the gap using ultra light 0.10s which is a different technique.

If you are piggybacking you must use extremely light lashes such as 0.10 or 0.07. These are my favourite lashes at the moment as you can stack 2 or 3 x 0.07s to each natural lash. Gorgeous!

I hope this has helped

What extension thickness and length you can put on really depends on the clients natural lashes. Likewise i wouldnt rule out any length or thickness for express lashes as this depends on the clients natural lashes in the same way! As long as the right technique is applied and the regular maintenance is followed (and removal when suggested - especially important for the Express lashes) then there will be no damage to the natural lash so the client can continue wearing the lash extensions without a break!

I would however never suggest putting any lashes "piggy back" onto other extensions as that could damage the natural lash and wont look natural at all! You can either use the Express lash technique with different angles to cover that gap or put in a cluster lash as a short term solution.

Thanks Ellie bee and beauty trix.

Ellie bee that really helped me. Exactly what I needed to know just one more thing how do I bridge correctly? Xx

Latest posts

Back