Lash extension disaster, please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi all,

So since I last posted I have re started lash extensions and I am desperate to do them well but I seem to be getting slower and worse rather than quicker and better :-( don't want to give up but starting to feel like I will never get the hang of them.

I have done a fair few sets now and my main issue is the lashes sticking together it doesn't seem to matter what I do they end up clumping, or I isolate the lash go to put extension lash on and sweep down the lash and then the lash just won't stick or come off the tweezers which then leaves the natural lash covered in glue and then sticking to the neighboring lashes. I am using Lash FX glue which I don't know if it is what I am doing or it is not drying fast enough. Today I had a client for 3.5 hours which is ridiculous the longest I have ever taken she had quite straight lashes and her natural lashes seemed to stick to the pad, I was mortified not only I took that long but also they were not even any good. Needless to say I have spent the rest of the day in tears.

Can anyone help? I just don't know what else to try.

Thank you xxx

In this video at about 6:33 she's demonstates a taping technique she recommends to get to the inner and outer lashes; these strips (the technique) could be used to isolates lashes as you work through-out the entire eye.

I hope this helps.

This is fantastic thank you so much! definitely going to try this! Just watched another video from the same trainer and she says NOT to swipe down the lash just to apply - is this correct? I think my lashes also stick where I swipe down the lash and then go to apply and then it won't stick?
Thanks so much for your help!

Yes, that is a possible cause; I have to admit that I do the same thing.

Years ago we used to swipe the extension down the natural lash 3 times and then place but that is all outdated now and if you are still doing that then this might be the problem. If you have been away from lashes for a while it might be worth doing a bit of a refresher as so much has changed in the last couple of years alone and you can try on your own and get into really bad habits or struggle for a long time when it might be something really simple that you need to change or watch out for. Even just a couple of hours with a trainer can help you a lot x

Years ago we used to swipe the extension down the natural lash 3 times and then place but that is all outdated now and if you are still doing that then this might be the problem. If you have been away from lashes for a while it might be worth doing a bit of a refresher as so much has changed in the last couple of years alone and you can try on your own and get into really bad habits or struggle for a long time when it might be something really simple that you need to change or watch out for. Even just a couple of hours with a trainer can help you a lot x

Hi, thanks for your reply, I originally trained last October (which was awful) and then booked onto another training in March which was much better. Both trainers however told me to swipe down the lash first, but since then I have seen on here many people say not to! I will give not swiping a go! Thank you for your help x

Hi, thanks for your reply, I originally trained last October (which was awful) and then booked onto another training in March which was much better. Both trainers however told me to swipe down the lash first, but since then I have seen on here many people say not to! I will give not swiping a go! Thank you for your help x
Yes sadly not all educators keep up to date with new methods or product knowledge and things can change a lot in just a few months so its important to stay on top of things. Sometimes just a couple of hours with a different trainer can help x

Check the humidity in the room. Too low and the glue is curing to slowly and will be wet when you release your isolation causing stickies. Too wet and it shock cures causing weak bonds.
Make sure your tweezers aren't getting glue on them.
Make sure your tweezers are static free.

This is interesting I done a course last month and was told to swipe the lash. Also for allergic reactions to put the product on the inside or behind the ear????

This is interesting I done a course last month and was told to swipe the lash. Also for allergic reactions to put the product on the inside or behind the ear????
The method of swiping the lash is really outdated.
Also adhesives should never touch the skin and it could void your insurance doing it this way and as its an irritant it could give a false reaction too

I use to have this problem when I started.
Mine was due to using to much glue and also letting my glue get to thick. Always refresh your glue when it looks like it is starting to go tacky. I refresh my glue probably every 20-30 mins this may seem a lot but if you squeeze the tiniest amount out to start with you don't actually waste that much at all, Also always swipe the lash through the centre of the glue blob as this is the part that always stays the 'freshest'.
Another thing I have learnt recently is to use a glue palette they help to keep the glue fresher for longer.
with regards to the natural lashes being straight, when you have this just put a couple of pieces of tape on the eyelid to lift the lid slightly this really helps with separating the lashes out as well as lifting them away from the pad slightly just be carful that their eye isn't open though, you don't want any product to go in their eye it is just a gentle lift.
hope this helps :)

Thanks for the reply, how do you test for a reaction?

Thanks for the reply, how do you test for a reaction?
You should place a couple of lashes in each eye for the patch test, this is what I was taught. I was also told that dry cotton wool/bud and glue can cause a burning reaction so never apply lash glue onto the skin using a cotton bud.

Latest posts

Back